Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 17th May 18, 4:35 PM
    • 2,893Posts
    • 1,152Thanks
    Cotta
    Moving on from Halifax
    • 17th May 18, 4:35 PM
    Moving on from Halifax 17th May 18 at 4:35 PM
    Hi All,

I've decided to close down my account with Halifax as there have been a lot of issues with it in the past and I feel a clean break would be the best course of action.

There were two aspects to the account that I liked though

- 3 monthly reward.
    - Clarity card especially for travelling.

When I switch accounts I am looking for the following:

1. Switching bonus.
    2. A card on par with the clarity card that will offer good value when travelling abroad.
    3. Good interest rates for savings

I currently have a Nationwide account with a regular saver and a First Direct account with a regular saver. I also have a TSB account but I may close this when the on-going issues are resolved.

I've looked at a number of alternative accounts to Halifax, however I am interested in a recommendations people here may have as to what my best alternative may be?

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • binaryuniverse
    • By binaryuniverse 17th May 18, 4:49 PM
    • 766 Posts
    • 479 Thanks
    binaryuniverse
    • 17th May 18, 4:49 PM
    • 17th May 18, 4:49 PM
    You don't need to have a Halifax bank account to have a Clarity card. So that's not a problem. In terms of switching bonus, there's isn't a great deal of options out there at the moment. Natwest have just started a new 100 bonus, but they don't offer a decent interest paying account.

If you have an M&S near by then their bank account offers 125 M&S Gift card (going up to 185, over a year), with a 5% regular saver. That's a pretty good offering, if not direct cash.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 17th May 18, 5:10 PM
    • 8,038 Posts
    • 8,957 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 17th May 18, 5:10 PM
    • 17th May 18, 5:10 PM
    When I switch accounts I am looking for the following:

1. Switching bonus.
    2. A card on par with the clarity card that will offer good value when travelling abroad.
    3. Good interest rates for savings
    Originally posted by Cotta
    You won't find all that with one provider so you either need to prioritise and compromise or (better) go with a 'best of breed' approach, i.e. one or more good current accounts and a good credit card but not from the same provider.

You don't say what issues you've actually had with Halifax but in your shoes I think I'd retain the Clarity and switch your current account to one of the other providers offering bonuses, and potentially go with another for interest.

Best deals are all listed at https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts and https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards where you can decide what's most appealing to you.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 17th May 18, 8:43 PM
    • 4,472 Posts
    • 38,944 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 17th May 18, 8:43 PM
    • 17th May 18, 8:43 PM
    Nationwide has a CC which is commission free worldwide- think you have to have flex account. Very small cashback when used in UK.

As already said you don't need to have a Halifax a/c to get the Clarity card
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..4366cc+.2415mm (2.41.5) + RK 5.33
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 17th May 18, 10:01 PM
    • 739 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    18cc
    • 17th May 18, 10:01 PM
    • 17th May 18, 10:01 PM
    As stated above you don't need to close the clarity card and you can keep that independent of any current account you may have

if you are looking for a card to use abroad then starling is the one to go for this is an app only bank but offers excellent value for travelling abroad and indeed in the UK too
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 18th May 18, 9:11 AM
    • 2,893 Posts
    • 1,152 Thanks
    Cotta
    • 18th May 18, 9:11 AM
    • 18th May 18, 9:11 AM
    On my account it says Halifax Clarity MasterCard, how can this become independent of Halifax?
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 18th May 18, 9:14 AM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 4,457 Thanks
    Zanderman
    • 18th May 18, 9:14 AM
    • 18th May 18, 9:14 AM
    On my account it says Halifax Clarity MasterCard, how can this become independent of Halifax?
    It won't be independent of Halifax.

The point people are making is simply that you don't need to bank with Halifax to have a credit card with them, so you can close the current account and move elsewhere but keep the Clarity card if you want to.

PS another good credit card for travelling is Tandem
    • Cotta
    • By Cotta 18th May 18, 6:21 PM
    • 2,893 Posts
    • 1,152 Thanks
    Cotta
    • 18th May 18, 6:21 PM
    • 18th May 18, 6:21 PM
    So I can link my Clarity card up to a separate (non Halifax) account for repayments?
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 18th May 18, 6:37 PM
    • 30,221 Posts
    • 18,113 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 18th May 18, 6:37 PM
    • 18th May 18, 6:37 PM
    So I can link my Clarity card up to a separate (non Halifax) account for repayments?
    As detailed on each and every statement, yes.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 18th May 18, 6:41 PM
    • 32,595 Posts
    • 20,512 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Same with any credit card, just need to setup another direct debit with a new account.
    • hoc
    • By hoc 20th May 18, 12:28 AM
    • 264 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    hoc
    Without a Halifax account how can the Clarity card be managed online? Wouldn't shutting down any/all bank accounts, or never having them in the first place by applying only for the card, lose Halifax online banking features?
    • hangonthebox
    • By hangonthebox 20th May 18, 12:39 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    hangonthebox
    Without a Halifax account how can the Clarity card be managed online?
    Originally posted by hoc
    By logging into the Halifax website.

Wouldn't shutting down any/all bank accounts, or never having them in the first place by applying only for the card, lose Halifax online banking features?
    Originally posted by hoc
    Online banking features yes, as you won't be banking with them anymore. But you can still manage your other Halifax products online. This is 2018 after all.
    Last edited by hangonthebox; 20-05-2018 at 12:47 AM.
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 20th May 18, 3:19 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    I've looked at a number of alternative accounts to Halifax, however I am interested in a recommendations people here may have as to what my best alternative may be?
    I would recommend you just chosse the next bank on the list.

A lot depends on the quality of staff and especially the manager at local level. If you never use a branch, then online support can be very hit and miss. A couple of examples :-

TSB - very good when I first moved here, but after a change of local manager it all fell to pieces.

Nationwide - very good at my old address, but when I moved the new manager just wasn't interested in helping customers.

Halifax - good at local level, but their hands seem tied once things go to national level.
    • keef-WhatStandards
    • By keef-WhatStandards 20th May 18, 3:28 AM
    • 126 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    keef-WhatStandards
    It already is.

Try going into a Halifax branch and asking for help with your Clarity (or even Halifax) card. They will just put you on a phone to a call centre. All credit cards are sub contracted out to other companies.

You can have a credit card with Barclays and yet bank with Lloyds for example.
    • maxximus75
    • By maxximus75 20th May 18, 4:03 AM
    • 136 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    maxximus75
    Once you switch your bank account using the switching service, the direct debit payment for your Halifax Clarity Card will automatically switch with you (assuming you pay by direct debit?) along with any others and standing orders.

All that will happen is that your bank account will stop showing on your Halifax Online but your Clarity Card will just show.
    • takman
    • By takman 20th May 18, 9:24 AM
    • 3,664 Posts
    • 3,293 Thanks
    takman
    It already is.

Try going into a Halifax branch and asking for help with your Clarity (or even Halifax) card. They will just put you on a phone to a call centre. All credit cards are sub contracted out to other companies.

You can have a credit card with Barclays and yet bank with Lloyds for example.
    Originally posted by keef-WhatStandards
    Credit Cards arn't sub contracted out to other companies they are just managed centrally like most things in banking these days. There is no point in going to a bank branch anymore when you can simply sit in the comfort of your home and sort it over the phone/online.
    • hoc
    • By hoc 20th May 18, 12:55 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    hoc
    All that will happen is that your bank account will stop showing on your Halifax Online but your Clarity Card will just show.
    Originally posted by maxximus75

Are you presuming or do you know for certain? This implies a successful application for a Clarity card as a non-Halifax customer would result in a Halifax online account being created.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 20th May 18, 2:42 PM
    • 3,820 Posts
    • 1,989 Thanks
    eDicky
    Are you presuming or do you know for certain? This implies a successful application for a Clarity card as a non-Halifax customer would result in a Halifax online account being created.
    Originally posted by hoc
    A Halifax credit card can certainly stand alone as a product, with online presence.

I have had a Clarity card account with online and phone app access for a few years, and no Halifax bank account. When I recently switched a bank account to Halifax for the switching bonus it immediately appeared online together with the clarity card account, and additionally in the app.

When I switch away from Halifax to the next suitable bank's offer of an incentive, the Halifax current account will doubtless disappear, leaving the Clarity account on its own again.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 20th May 18, 3:24 PM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 20,277 Thanks
    mije1983
    Originally posted by hoc

It's 100% certain. My experience is exactly like eDicky has posted above.

• Edi81
    • By Edi81 20th May 18, 3:32 PM
    • 530 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Edi81
    I have a clarity card and don!!!8217;t have my current account with Halifax.

This is 2018 you don!!!8217;t need to have all your banking products with one company.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

193Posts Today

2,222Users online

Martin's Twitter