Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MandieG
    • By MandieG 17th May 18, 4:33 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MandieG
    Switching from Virgin Media
    • 17th May 18, 4:33 PM
    Switching from Virgin Media 17th May 18 at 4:33 PM
    Hi, I am currently with Virgin Media for TV, broadband and phone. I want to switch back to freeview and just have broadband and phone (although I mainly use my mobile these days).
    Is there anyone else who has done the same who can advise me on navigating a new broadband/phone supplier please?!
Page 1
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 17th May 18, 5:03 PM
    • 1,671 Posts
    • 657 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 17th May 18, 5:03 PM
    • 17th May 18, 5:03 PM
    Hi, I am currently with Virgin Media for TV, broadband and phone. I want to switch back to freeview and just have broadband and phone (although I mainly use my mobile these days).
    Is there anyone else who has done the same who can advise me on navigating a new broadband/phone supplier please?!
    Originally posted by MandieG
    You could just remove the TV from your VM bundle and keep their phone and broadband , if you want to use someone else for phone and broadband, then you would need the new company , to either organise an install or restart an Openreach copper pair line into your property, and if the landline phone number you have with VM is important then make sure the new provider can port the number from VM to themselves, otherwise you could end up with a new number.

As far as recommendations , the cheaper end of the market can have poorer customer service compared to expensive providers who may have better customer service, but obviously you pay a premium for it.

You will need an operational aerial for freeview, if there isn't already one you may have to factor in the cost of getting one supplied and fitted.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 17th May 18, 9:54 PM
    • 3,213 Posts
    • 924 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 17th May 18, 9:54 PM
    • 17th May 18, 9:54 PM
    Yes the best thing to do is ring virgin up and tell them it is too expensive and you want BB phone only

Research first how much BB and Phone will cost with other suppliers. 25?
    and see if they will do a deal. Quote the deal / name to them.

Tell them you know its a slower service, but that don't matter to you

Anything you change will result in a new 12 month contract, so be sure you are happy with the price, and stick to your word you want rid of TV .

Check and contract matches the price you expect (it often doesn't) and get back to them within 14 days to resolve.

Frequently just before they ask you to return the TV box, they say you can keep it, with freeview channels only, but you can't guarantee this. (so research a freeview box etc. but don't actually purchase it until your box is gone!)
    Last edited by AndyPK; 17-05-2018 at 9:57 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

724Posts Today

5,331Users online

Martin's Twitter