Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • P999DSO
    • By P999DSO 17th May 18, 2:53 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    P999DSO
    Train company NIL : Customer WON!
    • 17th May 18, 2:53 PM
    Train company NIL : Customer WON! 17th May 18 at 2:53 PM
    Hi. I was at my change station part way through a train journey using Southern Rail in March. I was heading on holiday via Gatwick airport. At the change station ALL trains were cancelled so I was forced to get a taxi to get to the airport on time for my flight. It was early in the morning and no rail staff were apparent. The tickets were 16.70 each (2 of them), but the taxi cost 75. I had to pay it to get to the airport or risk losing my holiday. So I lodged a Delay Repay Claim which I got both ticket costs back. However the rail company would not admit they had failed me and I assume had breached contract by not providing the service I had paid for. I kept arguing. I was eventually offered the remaining taxi fare in Train Vouchers... oh no... Not accepting that! So I told them in my reply... so I was immediately told to go to the ombudsman (Transport Focus)... I completed their online form... and within 10 working days I had a response saying the train company were going to refund the taxi fare by cheque!!

So basically the morale of the story... don't accept an offer that doesn't work for you. Go all the way escalating the case... I used Resolver but Southern Rail refused to reply through it!! Glad to say persistence won!! I won't let the big companies bully and fob me off with something that is no use to me and will cost them nothing! They incurred me more money than I had budgeted so stuck to my guns and made them pay what was rightfully mine caused by their incompetence!!

Southern Rail did blame Network Rail for failing to complete maintenance... surely they would have known that before I started my journey and then have them abandon me at a station far from home... I did advise Southern Rail complaints guy that Network Rail not completing their work isn't actually my problem, and they should have kept their customers updated PRIOR to commencing their journey!! Glad to say I won ... eventually!!! So if you have to complain about a rail company... stick with it!!!
    Last edited by P999DSO; 17-05-2018 at 3:20 PM. Reason: Missed a bit out!
Page 1
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 17th May 18, 3:12 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 758 Thanks
    bigisi
    • 17th May 18, 3:12 PM
    • 17th May 18, 3:12 PM
    Cool story, bro.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,547Posts Today

9,571Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin