Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • surveyor_101
    • By surveyor_101 17th May 18, 2:13 PM
    • 185Posts
    • 124Thanks
    surveyor_101
    Nationwide Flex Direct
    • 17th May 18, 2:13 PM
    Nationwide Flex Direct 17th May 18 at 2:13 PM
    So I got into trouble with Lloyds a few years back with a 4k overdraft. I was not good with money but they are a reckless lender I think as that's a bad overdraft was earning 35k at the time.

Paying it off through debt company.

So got a default on my file.

I am looking for a less basic account for vanity reasons really- HSBC offfered me advanced based on income and account behavour but failed the credit check and then they saw I had default and the manager declined to over ride the decision. They seem to be a very strict lender. Opened that account before I defaulted on the lloyds.

Have a billy basic account with nationwide and in the app it offered to apply for the flex direct which seems a good account and I am being really careful with money. The app went through but THEIR system pulled through my parents address (not lived at home for years).

I called up and they cannot change the address but its gone through. The lady tried on my current address and the answer was no. So she has left the current app with parents address open and had msg today after taking my passport into branch that its all open and cards etc in the post. She didn't advise she had to close the app now I have informed her of the wrong address.

I was going to use the account and change the address once I have closed my old one down.

Is this all legal or should I close the account with the wrong address?
    Last edited by surveyor_101; 17-05-2018 at 2:19 PM.
Page 1
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 17th May 18, 4:37 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    18cc
    • 17th May 18, 4:37 PM
    • 17th May 18, 4:37 PM
    I would just wait until the account is open and you get your cards etc and then in a reasonable time change it to your current address
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 17th May 18, 5:39 PM
    • 2,889 Posts
    • 3,934 Thanks
    ceredigion
    • 17th May 18, 5:39 PM
    • 17th May 18, 5:39 PM
    You made a fraudulent credit application, Then told customer services.
    The account will be closed, and you may get a CIFAS marker.
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 17th May 18, 5:57 PM
    • 1,574 Posts
    • 1,247 Thanks
    bxboards
    • 17th May 18, 5:57 PM
    • 17th May 18, 5:57 PM
    Always raises a smile when someone accusers a bank of being a 'wreckless lender'.

I know the era of taking personal responsibility for one's actions seems to be over, but that is wreckless borrowing - no one is holding a gun to your head to use any loan facility offered by the bank.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 17th May 18, 6:11 PM
    • 8,041 Posts
    • 8,958 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 17th May 18, 6:11 PM
    • 17th May 18, 6:11 PM
    Always raises a smile when someone doesn't know how to spell 'reckless' and invents a word that would seem to be related to sunken ships!

See also 'electoral role', 'mute point', etc....
    • surveyor_101
    • By surveyor_101 17th May 18, 7:35 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    surveyor_101
    • 17th May 18, 7:35 PM
    • 17th May 18, 7:35 PM
    Its their error I applied whilst logged on to my account in the app, their system populated the address information and was no fraud on my part.

I called them when I saw the wrong postcode on the email and the lady did say I could keep the application or cancel. I see no fraud I have been honest. She has raised a complaint on my behalf i was just suprised as i am not on the roll at that house.

She admitted she has known the app use an old address for some reason. She didnt say you cant have another account at another address.

I will cancel the account.

Reason i asked is i didnt want to get accused of fraud. I am not asking for an credit its just account with a good intetrest rate i said no to an overdraft.
    Last edited by surveyor_101; 17-05-2018 at 7:37 PM.
    • surveyor_101
    • By surveyor_101 17th May 18, 7:43 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    surveyor_101
    • 17th May 18, 7:43 PM
    • 17th May 18, 7:43 PM
    lady in customer service advised me i could keep the account even though i dont live there and take my passport to a branch and they opened the account.

Basically its dodgy though.

They have my current address and i didnt ask for any credit.
    • surveyor_101
    • By surveyor_101 17th May 18, 8:24 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    surveyor_101
    • 17th May 18, 8:24 PM
    • 17th May 18, 8:24 PM
    I didnít call them a reckless lender that was the hsbc branch manager I saw when I explained it all. She said she seems them lending people silly money with low incomes.

She said hsbc are a strict lender and wouldnít give me 4K overdraft even with 50k income.

She said that a Morgage in principle with them is considered highly by estate agents and house builders as they are known for being strict.
    • Curls2208
    • By Curls2208 18th May 18, 2:10 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Curls2208
    • 18th May 18, 2:10 AM
    • 18th May 18, 2:10 AM
    I move around a lot. All my accounts are registered to my mums address. It's easier that way.....
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 18th May 18, 2:01 PM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 20,277 Thanks
    mije1983
    I didn!!!8217;t call them a reckless lender that was the hsbc branch manager I saw when I explained it all. She said she seems them lending people silly money with low incomes.

She said hsbc are a strict lender and wouldn!!!8217;t give me 4K overdraft even with 50k income.

She said that a Morgage in principle with them is considered highly by estate agents and house builders as they are known for being strict.
    Originally posted by surveyor_101

Well you wouldn't expect anything less would you? Saying how great her own bank and products are, and putting down a rival? Hardly going to be the other way round!

Not sure why she thinks a MIP from them is considered highly by EAs and builders though? They both couldn't care less if you can afford to pay back your mortgage. In fact, I'd be more likely to believe that they would rather have a buyer that is with a less strict lender, so they are more likely to get the money in the first place!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,579Posts Today

8,545Users online

Martin's Twitter