Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vofn
    • By vofn 17th May 18, 11:52 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 8Thanks
    vofn
    Quit job, won't pay wages
    • 17th May 18, 11:52 AM
    Quit job, won't pay wages 17th May 18 at 11:52 AM
    My son had had enough of his job and rather foolishly quit by text. His employer texted him back and told him he was not entitled to the 17 days pay that he had worked because he had signed a contract saying so. We have requested a copy of the signed contract but it has not been forthcoming. My question is, can he do this?
Page 1
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 17th May 18, 12:08 PM
    • 5,759 Posts
    • 7,902 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 17th May 18, 12:08 PM
    • 17th May 18, 12:08 PM
    Not likely. The only way around it i could see from the employers perspective is if theyre halfway through a job and theres clauses in their contract to recover additional costs incurred as a result of leaving them in the lurch. Ie additional costs for finding labour at short notice.

Youll need to see the contract to clarify it, if thats the case you need to be trying to find out if the costs are justified and been applied correctly, if the costs are more they can look to recover them in small claims court, if the costs are less, obviously your son shouldve been paid something.

Strictly speaking if theyve never given your son a written copy of the t's and c's of making such deductions (generally in the contract), they cant do it. How easy that will be to prove will be a sticking factor though.
    Don't be angry!
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 17th May 18, 12:11 PM
    • 3,966 Posts
    • 3,339 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 17th May 18, 12:11 PM
    • 17th May 18, 12:11 PM
    Quit by text ??

What is the world coming to
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 17th May 18, 12:34 PM
    • 4,775 Posts
    • 6,557 Thanks
    74jax
    • 17th May 18, 12:34 PM
    • 17th May 18, 12:34 PM
    If he quit by text is that as of when the text was sent, is he not working a notice? Maybe the 17 days he worked are due to lack of working notice?
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 17th May 18, 12:38 PM
    • 6,898 Posts
    • 15,005 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 17th May 18, 12:38 PM
    • 17th May 18, 12:38 PM
    Does his contract state anything about training costs.
    • John-K
    • By John-K 17th May 18, 7:16 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,024 Thanks
    John-K
    • 17th May 18, 7:16 PM
    • 17th May 18, 7:16 PM
    I!!!8217;d possibly do the same as the employer, and assume that anyone who resigns like this is unlikely to have the nous to do anything about it.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 17th May 18, 7:25 PM
    • 20,446 Posts
    • 34,039 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 17th May 18, 7:25 PM
    • 17th May 18, 7:25 PM
    My son had had enough of his job and rather foolishly quit by text. His employer texted him back and told him he was not entitled to the 17 days pay that he had worked because he had signed a contract saying so. We have requested a copy of the signed contract but it has not been forthcoming. My question is, can he do this?
    Originally posted by vofn
    He signed a contract saying what? That he doesn't get paid for days worked (which is the way your post reads to me) or that he doesn't get paid if he doesn't give x amount of notice.

At 17 your son should know whether he signed anything or not, even if he didn't read it all.

Until you can clarify if something was signed and what was in it if they did, it's hard to answer if ex employer can do this.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,211Posts Today

8,738Users online

Martin's Twitter