Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Digger73
    • By Digger73 17th May 18, 9:56 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Digger73
    In desperate need of help with Universal Credits
    • 17th May 18, 9:56 AM
    In desperate need of help with Universal Credits 17th May 18 at 9:56 AM
    Hi,

My name is Mark, and Iím in desperate need of help and advice with problems Iím having with Universal Credits.
    Iím an armed forces veteran with both physical and mental health disabilities.
    Firstly with my mental health problems I can get mixed up and confused so if I ramble on or jump about I apologise up front.
    I have attached the breakdown of my benefits for before and after April 2018, also there are 4 months of the universal credit payment breakdown.
    At the end of last year my 10 year old son as if he could move in with me, so I gave him 4 or 5 weeks before claiming for him encase he changed his mind and went back to his mothers. So after this period, in Dec 2017 I contacted child benefit and child tax credits informing them that he had moved in with me. Towards the second half of Jan 2018 I received payment details for the child benefit but nothing for the child tax credits, so I phoned to enquire what was going on, which I was then told I would need to get in touch with the local jobcentre to arrange an appointment to start a universal credit claim.
    Iím house bound due to my disabilities and mental health, but was made clear I had no choice but to go into the jobcentre to start the claim.
    The lady that interviewed and did the claim with me was called Julie. I produced the required documentation, which included my benefit breakdown as attached to this email. On see that I was in the support group and others, Julie told me that it would be a Dual Claim (because of the support group etc) and all my benefits would continue to get pay as usual, that there would be no change to them, but my housing benefit would move over to the Universal credits and the child element for my son would come from them to. Julie told me that I would need to inform the local council that my son had moved in with me for housing benefit and council tax adjustments.
    Right if you look at the first payment and adjustment breakdown from universal credits. Youíll see that they gave me a standard allowance payment of £317.82 (which I have no idea why they gave it to me, Iím in the support groups, so why try and pay me this) but they then deducted £337.39 (£342.16 after April 2018) because of my employment and support allowance (which doesnít make sense as how can they deduct more (£337.39 / £342.16 after April 2018)) than they gave me (£317.82).
    As Iím sure by looking at the attached documents, youíll quickly see that the figures donít add up or make sense. I know bedroom taxis taken into part of it for the rent but this gets made up with the councilís discretionary housing payment.
    If you look at the breakdown ending 30 April 2018 there is no child payments, now I informed universal credit on the 16 April 2018 that my son had moved back in with his mother, I also let child benefit know as well. But thereís no payment for my son up to this point. I have also informed the local council that he had moved back to his mums.
    So I have tried to query this standard allowance, when Iím in the support groups. As I canít be the only person in this situation. Have they made a mistake whilst crossing the housing benefit and child element to universal credits have they taken me as jus being on standard employment and support allowance? Iíve no idea, no one seems to be able to answer the question why as in the support group. I asked for a home visit to try and resolve this and other queries Iíll get to in a bit. The lady was from DWP, openly admitted she had no universal training etc and was surprised that this visit had came through to her. I went through what was going on, she had a call to universal credit on speaker so I could hear the conversation and if I had anything to add I could. So after the conference call like myself she was none the wiser regarding this standard allowance as we never got a straight answer, just thatís the way itís done and if youíre not happy go speak to your local MP, which I felt was shocking, surely they should sort it out and shouldnít need to go to an MP, it felt like he was just trying to wash his hands of me.
    If you look at the breakdowns youíll see the extra money they are deducting is being taken from either the housing benefits or the child element, as Iíve never had the full entitlement for the child element, plus going back to why no money for the first half of April? I was told because it was in the middle of the month that was being assessed it would be taken back to the start of the month so Iím not entitled to it, surely this can be right, my son was still here and I still had to support, feed etc. Again itís the way we do it if youíre not happy go see your local MP.
    As a result of all these deduction, payment however they doing it I donít know. But I am more than £350 in rent arrears with the local council. Since being medically discharged from the force and receiving housing benefits Iíve never been in debt with rent arrears before.
    It seems no one can answer my questions or should I say help me or resolve these problems. This is having a detrimental effect on my health and mental state, it really is making me ill, I canít eat or sleep etc.
    I would be deeply greatful and appreciate any help and advice you could give my, or point me in the right direction. Iíve tried the local welfare right to no avail as was the same with the local ASAP representative for veterans. Iím just looking for help there must be someone out there that can help me?
Page 1
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 17th May 18, 10:17 AM
    • 12,009 Posts
    • 13,836 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 17th May 18, 10:17 AM
    • 17th May 18, 10:17 AM
    Hi,

My name is Mark, and I!!!8217;m in desperate need of help and advice with problems I!!!8217;m having with Universal Credits.
    I!!!8217;m an armed forces veteran with both physical and mental health disabilities.
    Firstly with my mental health problems I can get mixed up and confused so if I ramble on or jump about I apologise up front.
    I have attached the breakdown of my benefits for before and after April 2018, also there are 4 months of the universal credit payment breakdown.
    At the end of last year my 10 year old son as if he could move in with me, so I gave him 4 or 5 weeks before claiming for him encase he changed his mind and went back to his mothers. So after this period, in Dec 2017 I contacted child benefit and child tax credits informing them that he had moved in with me. Towards the second half of Jan 2018 I received payment details for the child benefit but nothing for the child tax credits, so I phoned to enquire what was going on, which I was then told I would need to get in touch with the local jobcentre to arrange an appointment to start a universal credit claim.
    I!!!8217;m house bound due to my disabilities and mental health, but was made clear I had no choice but to go into the jobcentre to start the claim.
    The lady that interviewed and did the claim with me was called Julie. I produced the required documentation, which included my benefit breakdown as attached to this email. On see that I was in the support group and others, Julie told me that it would be a Dual Claim (because of the support group etc) and all my benefits would continue to get pay as usual, that there would be no change to them, but my housing benefit would move over to the Universal credits and the child element for my son would come from them to. Julie told me that I would need to inform the local council that my son had moved in with me for housing benefit and council tax adjustments.
    Right if you look at the first payment and adjustment breakdown from universal credits. You!!!8217;ll see that they gave me a standard allowance payment of £317.82 (which I have no idea why they gave it to me, I!!!8217;m in the support groups, so why try and pay me this) but they then deducted £337.39 (£342.16 after April 2018) because of my employment and support allowance (which doesn!!!8217;t make sense as how can they deduct more (£337.39 / £342.16 after April 2018)) than they gave me (£317.82).
    As I!!!8217;m sure by looking at the attached documents, you!!!8217;ll quickly see that the figures don!!!8217;t add up or make sense. I know bedroom taxis taken into part of it for the rent but this gets made up with the council!!!8217;s discretionary housing payment.
    If you look at the breakdown ending 30 April 2018 there is no child payments, now I informed universal credit on the 16 April 2018 that my son had moved back in with his mother, I also let child benefit know as well. But there!!!8217;s no payment for my son up to this point. I have also informed the local council that he had moved back to his mums.
    So I have tried to query this standard allowance, when I!!!8217;m in the support groups. As I can!!!8217;t be the only person in this situation. Have they made a mistake whilst crossing the housing benefit and child element to universal credits have they taken me as jus being on standard employment and support allowance? I!!!8217;ve no idea, no one seems to be able to answer the question why as in the support group. I asked for a home visit to try and resolve this and other queries I!!!8217;ll get to in a bit. The lady was from DWP, openly admitted she had no universal training etc and was surprised that this visit had came through to her. I went through what was going on, she had a call to universal credit on speaker so I could hear the conversation and if I had anything to add I could. So after the conference call like myself she was none the wiser regarding this standard allowance as we never got a straight answer, just that!!!8217;s the way it!!!8217;s done and if you!!!8217;re not happy go speak to your local MP, which I felt was shocking, surely they should sort it out and shouldn!!!8217;t need to go to an MP, it felt like he was just trying to wash his hands of me.
    If you look at the breakdowns you!!!8217;ll see the extra money they are deducting is being taken from either the housing benefits or the child element, as I!!!8217;ve never had the full entitlement for the child element, plus going back to why no money for the first half of April? I was told because it was in the middle of the month that was being assessed it would be taken back to the start of the month so I!!!8217;m not entitled to it, surely this can be right, my son was still here and I still had to support, feed etc. Again it!!!8217;s the way we do it if you!!!8217;re not happy go see your local MP.
    As a result of all these deduction, payment however they doing it I don!!!8217;t know. But I am more than £350 in rent arrears with the local council. Since being medically discharged from the force and receiving housing benefits I!!!8217;ve never been in debt with rent arrears before.
    It seems no one can answer my questions or should I say help me or resolve these problems. This is having a detrimental effect on my health and mental state, it really is making me ill, I can!!!8217;t eat or sleep etc.
    I would be deeply greatful and appreciate any help and advice you could give my, or point me in the right direction. I!!!8217;ve tried the local welfare right to no avail as was the same with the local ASAP representative for veterans. I!!!8217;m just looking for help there must be someone out there that can help me?
    Originally posted by Digger73
    Can you write out the breakdown of your Universal Credit award as it does not appear to be showing?

Hopefully we can look and see how to help.

Are you receiving a separate claim/amount for contribution based ESA apart from your UC?
    • Digger73
    • By Digger73 17th May 18, 10:43 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Digger73
    • 17th May 18, 10:43 AM
    • 17th May 18, 10:43 AM
    Hi pmlindyloo ,

I'm trying to add pdf's or photos of the documents, but it seems it wont let me do it on here.
    Is there any other way I can get the information to you?

Kind regards Mark
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 17th May 18, 11:02 AM
    • 12,009 Posts
    • 13,836 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 17th May 18, 11:02 AM
    • 17th May 18, 11:02 AM
    Hi pmlindyloo ,

I'm trying to add pdf's or photos of the documents, but it seems it wont let me do it on here.
    Is there any other way I can get the information to you?

Kind regards Mark
    I think you can't add photos/PDFs because you are new to the forum.

I can't make sense of the figures that you have quoted.

Let's do this a bit at a time.

How much do you receive in contribution based ESA?
    Look on your award letter and tell us how the amount is made up.

I am also going to give you a link for help for veterans as you may want to see if anyone can make a home visit to check all your documents. It may be tricky to sort it out on the forum.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/armed-forces-and-veterans/benefits-and-concessions-for-the-armed-forces-veterans-and-their-families/

Have you got a CAB near you that does home visits?
    • w06
    • By w06 17th May 18, 11:35 AM
    • 762 Posts
    • 1,082 Thanks
    w06
    • 17th May 18, 11:35 AM
    • 17th May 18, 11:35 AM
    Hi Mark, I'm not sure about the technical bits but with regard the standard allowance that you queried on the award notice, that's how Universal Credit lay it out. I'm also in teh support group on UC, my award says:

Standard allowance
    You receive a standard Universal Credit allowance each month
    £318.82

Housing
    You said that your rent is £x per month
    £375

Limited capability for work and work-related activity
    You said your health affects you at work or prevents you from working
    £318.76

i.e. the standard allowance is the base rate effectively and then otehr components added on to it
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 17th May 18, 11:58 AM
    • 12,009 Posts
    • 13,836 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 17th May 18, 11:58 AM
    • 17th May 18, 11:58 AM
    I agree with w60 that this is how they work it out.

Since you were already in the support group then you should have had the LCWRA element added to the standard allowance.

What I don't understand is the amount they have deducted for your contribution based ESA (counted as income) which is why I asked how much you are actually receiving.

As regards the child element I am wondering if your son's mother was receiving tax credits for your son during the time he was staying with you so they would not pay it.

So, if you cannot get any help with this you need to do a Mandatory Reconsideration (the first step in appealing the UC decision). How to do it should be outlined in your UC award letter.

You need to state
    1)that you are receiving contribution based ESA and are in the support group and therefore you should have the LCWRA element added to your UC. Enclose a copy of your ESA award letter as proof.

2) You need to ask for the child element to be added to your UC award. Enclose dates your son lived with you and copy of your child benefit award letter and evidence of it ending.

3) Enclose evidence in the form of bank statements to show that you do not have savings over £6000.

There is a time limit of one month from the UC decision letter to make this mandatory reconsideration. You can telephone them first to say you wish to do a Mandatory Reconsideration and then follow up with your letter.

if you find that your son's mother was claiming child tax credits for him whilst he was living with you then you will not be entitled to the child element.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 17th May 18, 12:01 PM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 2,953 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 17th May 18, 12:01 PM
    • 17th May 18, 12:01 PM
    Hi Mark,

I'm sorry you are having such problems with your UC.

Like pmlindyloo, I think it is worth seeing if your local CAB can help.

Just some quick thoughts:
    Can SSAFA help? https://www.ssafa.org.uk/about-us/contact-us
    (Possibly they may be able also to give a grant)

Royal British Legion https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/get-support/
    in some areas they fund welfare workers attached to CAB.

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Your-Situation/Member-of-the-Armed-Forces-Veteran

Speak to your housing officer - they may be able to make a referral to a local advice agency.

Try a complaint: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-work-pensions/about/complaints-procedure
    Sometimes that helps resolve things more promptly.

Do get the MP involved. Again sometimes that helps resolve things more promptly.

Good luck

Edit: to follow on from pmlinyloo's post
    Some info on the Mandatory Reconsideration
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/on-universal-credit/challenging-a-universal-credit-decision-mandatory-consideration/

https://www.leicester.gov.uk/media/178163/mandatory-reconsideration-request.pdf
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 17-05-2018 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Cross posted with pmlindyloo .
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • Digger73
    • By Digger73 17th May 18, 12:07 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Digger73
    • 17th May 18, 12:07 PM
    • 17th May 18, 12:07 PM
    Hi, this is the breakdowns for my ESA and support group etc, plus the Universal credit. I hope this help you to help me , which is appreciated.

Your living expenses = £73.10 (£73.10)
    Extra money because you are severely disabled = £62.45 (£64.30)

Extra money because of the Disability income guarantee = £15.90 (£16.40)

Limited capability for work addition

Extra Money because you are in the Support Group = £36.55 (£37.65)
    Which gives a total income-related amount = £188.00 (£191.45)

Income and Benefits
    PIP Mobility Component for You
    Is not counted, as income toward Employment and support Allowance

Other income for your household = £148.59 (medical pension, turned into another war pension)

PIP Daily Living Component for you is not counted as income towards Employment and support Allowance

War Disablement pension for you
    The first 10.00 is not counted = £62.00

Your Total income = £210.59

Your income-related amount is £188.00 less £210.59 so you would have been entitled to = £0.00

However because you are entitled to contribution-base Employment and Support Allowance we will pay you = £77.86 (£78.96)

You are not entitled to income-related employment and support allowance because your income is more than the minimum amount the government says you need to live on

This amount on this page apply from 17 May 2017

The amounts in brackets apply from 11 April 2018

Home - Universal Credit
    GOV.UK
    Statement

How we calculate your payment

Your payment is based on what you've told us and covers the period
    between 25 December and 24 January.

Standard allowance

You receive a standard Universal Credit

allowances each month £317.82

Housing

You said that your rent is £0.00 per month £325.49

Children

You get support for 0 children £277.08

Total before adjustments £920

Other benefits

You were still receiving these benifits when you claim started

Employment and Support Allowance £337.39

Total adjustments £337.39

Total payment for this month £583.00

between 25 January and 24 February

Standard allowance

allwance each month £317.82

Housing

You said that your rent is £378.47 per month £325.49

Children

You get support for 1 children £277.08

Total before adjustments £920

Other benefits

Housing Benifit £37.43

Total adjustments £374.82

The total we take off for your payment to your landlord is £325.49

Total payment for this month £220.08

between 25 Febuary and 24 March

Standard allowance

Housing

You said that your rent is £378.47 per month £325.49

Children

You get support for 1 children £277.08

Total before adjustments £920.39

Other benefits

Total adjustments £337.39

The total we take off for payment to your landlord is £325.49

Total payment for this month £257.51

between 25 March and 24 April

Standard allowance

Housing

You said that your rent is £391.47 per month £293.61

Total before adjustments £611.43

Other benefits

Employment and Support Allowance £342.16

Total adjustments £342.16

Tax credits recovery £47.67 ( this has been sorted ouy)

The total we take off for payment to your land lord is £221.60

Total payment for this month £0.00

My rent went from £87.34 per week to £90.34 per week as of the 2 April 18
    Last edited by Digger73; 17-05-2018 at 12:18 PM. Reason: spacing to large
    • Digger73
    • By Digger73 17th May 18, 12:57 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Digger73
    • 17th May 18, 12:57 PM
    • 17th May 18, 12:57 PM
    Hi everyone thanks for your input. when the claim was being processed in the job centre the lady told me at the time that all my benefits, it would be a dual claim and I was on would get paid as usual ( and they are still getting paid as normal) she said it would just be the housing and child elements that would come from universal credits. But this standard allowance is on it and I try tell them that i'm in the support group etc and its like it just goes over there head and nothing is done about it??
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 17th May 18, 1:29 PM
    • 12,009 Posts
    • 13,836 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    As I suspected this is complicated.

First of all you have to remember that UC is paid monthly and your contribution based ESA is paid weekly. Therefore if you multiply your weekly ESA amount by 52 and then divide by 12 you will arrive at the figure that they are using to deduct from your Universal Credit. SO that part if fine.

As has already been pointed out the standard allowance is always put on with any additional elements (old WRAG and Support group) and then the contribution based ESA is deducted.

Because of the complication of your pensions counting as income I am not sure whether you would actually receive any additional elements as the pension amounts wipe out any extra money.

What they seem to have done is a straight 'swap' for the standard allowance and your contribution based ESA that you receive so in the end the UC is effectively only paying your housing costs and the child element (when relevant).

Plus, they have deducted the housing costs which go straight to your landlord (is that right?)

Apologies for the time it has taken but it took a bit of working out!

So, I believe the figures are correct.

However, UC is new to most of us and mistakes can be made.

If you are still concerned (or someone else disagrees with me - no offence will be taken!) then CAB will do a benefit check for you.
    • Digger73
    • By Digger73 17th May 18, 1:50 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Digger73
    Hi,
    the thing that confusing me is the, Your living expenses part of employment and support allowance = £73.10. after my war disablement pensions are taken into account I get paid £77.86 (£78.96 after 11 Apr18) as I have been for years. And im still gettint his paid seperatly from universal credits.
    as I was told it would whilst staring the claim in the jobcentre as a dual claim.
    But then on universal credit there trying to give me this standard allowance of £317.82 but then deducting £337.39 (£342.16 after 11 April 18). but how can they give me £317 then deduct £337.39 then after 11 April 18 deduct £342.16. That's a difference of £19.57 and £24.34 after 11 April 18, so they are deducting more than there giving me, so the extra money they deduct is getting taken from me rent or child element, hence im over £350 in rent arrears, so there putting me into debt with the local council.
    does that make sense, sorry.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 17th May 18, 2:20 PM
    • 12,009 Posts
    • 13,836 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    Hi,
    the thing that confusing me is the, Your living expenses part of employment and support allowance = £73.10. after my war disablement pensions are taken into account I get paid £77.86 (£78.96 after 11 Apr18) as I have been for years. And im still gettint his paid seperatly from universal credits.
    as I was told it would whilst staring the claim in the jobcentre as a dual claim.
    But then on universal credit there trying to give me this standard allowance of £317.82 but then deducting £337.39 (£342.16 after 11 April 18). but how can they give me £317 then deduct £337.39 then after 11 April 18 deduct £342.16. That's a difference of £19.57 and £24.34 after 11 April 18, so they are deducting more than there giving me, so the extra money they deduct is getting taken from me rent or child element, hence im over £350 in rent arrears, so there putting me into debt with the local council.
    does that make sense, sorry.
    There is no difference spread over the year.

Your ESA is paid weekly. UC is paid calendar monthly so the same date each month and you get 12 payments through the year.

So to work out your ESA calendar monthly.

£77.86 x 52 = £4048.72, then divide by 12 for calendar month = £337.39

£78.96 x 52 = £4105.92, then divide by 12 for calendar month = £342.16

So, for each calendar month the amount for your ESA is the same as your UC standard allowance.

Hope that makes sense.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 17th May 18, 2:28 PM
    • 12,009 Posts
    • 13,836 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    As for your rent arrears ask your local council for a Discretionary Housing payment due to your transferring to UC and going into arrears.

How to do this in this link:

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Discretionary-Housing-Payment/What-is-a-Discretionary-Housing-Payment
    • Digger73
    • By Digger73 17th May 18, 3:04 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Digger73
    Hi again, please don't think arguing etc I really am confused with this.
    As it stand I am still getting paid my ESA fortnightly (because I'm in the support group as the lady in the jobcentre said it would) at £78.96 (and before that £77.86) and that works out as £342.16 (£337.39 bore that), I get that.

But at the same time universal credits is trying to pay me the standard allowance of £317 , so if there only trying to pay me £317, so why aren't they deducting the same £317 off me?

so the extra money they deduct is coming off the housing / child elements, which is causing rent arrears, there is discretionary housing payments coming from the council already.

so now that my sons back with his mother, and ive informed the council so they can adjust the discretionary payment. its going to be the standard allowance and housing on my universal credits, so when they deduct the £342.17, that extra £25.16 is going to get taken from the money for rent so its going to continue to increase my rent arrears that they are causing.

Do you see what I mean MPLindyloo its going to be a viscous circle, by trying to give £317 then deduct £342.15 my benefit for me rent will always be £25.16 short.

I know I've got mental health problems and I get confused and mixed up at times, and this is making me ill, do know what I'm getting at now?

again thanks for your patients with me I do appreciate the help.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 17th May 18, 3:18 PM
    • 12,009 Posts
    • 13,836 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    I do understand your confusion. I have to go out now but will be back later.

Maybe someone else will have some ideas in the meantime.

I'll have another 'try' later!
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 17th May 18, 3:47 PM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 2,953 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    My take on this (and I may not be completely correct):

UC is a means tested benefit, the applicable amount calculated by UC is the minimum you need to live on. It takes into account the household income, and compares this with the minimum UC payable - then pays you any difference.

Your UC calculation is:

Standard allowance
    You receive a standard Universal Credit allowance each month
    £318.82

Housing
    £293 (Have I picked this up correctly from your post 8? - I've used the April numbers)

Limited capability for work and work-related activity
    Because you were in the ESA Support Group
    £318.76

Total £931.

Your income is:
    CB ESA £342pm
    War Pension £643pm (£148.59 pw per your post 8)
    War Disablement pension £268.67 (£62 pw per your post 8)
    PIP

Some income is disregarded (not taken into account) for the UC payment calculation), PIP is disregarded in full, your War pension is disregarded in full for UC.
    I'm not sure about the War Disablement pension - for the purposes of this calculation I'm assuming it is also fully disregarded. These people would know https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/veterans-uk

Here is a link about the War pension disregard - https://www.youreable.com/forums/showthread.php?2153-war-pensions-disregarded-under-new-UC-regulations

So, getting back to the April payment calculation:-

UC applicable amount £931pm.

Less other (non disregarded) income:
    CB ESA £342pm

Amount payable - £589 , of which £222 is paid direct to your landlord, take away the £47 TC recovery, and the payment to you should have been around £320 (not zero).

It seems to me UC have not given you the £319 for the Limited capability for work and work-related activity. You should get this immediately because you were in ESA Support Group. Make this point on your journal, and do an MR for it.

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Universal-Credit/Additional-Elements-of-Universal-Credit#guide-content
    "You may have to wait three months for your LCWRA element to be added on. Though there are some instances where it can be added on straight away such as if you are terminally ill or you were entitled to one of the Employment and Support Allowance components immediately prior to your Universal Credit claim."

Hope this helps - do check my figures. Sorry it's so complicated
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 17-05-2018 at 5:29 PM.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 17th May 18, 6:13 PM
    • 12,009 Posts
    • 13,836 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    Thank you Alice, I did not realise that war pensions were not counted as income in UC.

So, I agree with Alice that they do not appear to have given you the LCWRA element to which you are entitled.

So do as she advises and ask about this in your journal.

And to confirm, both your war pensions are not counted as income for UC purposes.

See this link about war pensions:

http://data.parliament.uk/DepositedPapers/Files/DEP2017-0556/88_Other_benefits_v2.0.pdf
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 17th May 18, 7:09 PM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 2,953 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    Thanks for that link pmlindyloo
    • huckster
    • By huckster 17th May 18, 8:11 PM
    • 3,356 Posts
    • 1,465 Thanks
    huckster
    Best advice is to contact Universal Credit helpline and get them to contact the case manager to review each assessment period. Universal Credit has not noted the LCWRA.

What happens with Universal Credit is that they obtain the ESA payment info from the Government central information system.

Unfortunately, although they deduct the ESA payment as a deduction, there is no automatic way the LCWRA award is picked up and therefore it is often not paid until either claimant or someone within UC ( Work coach or case manager picks this up). UC do send a form internally to ESA for information, but if this comes back without the LCWRA noted or the Case Manager does not note it so it can be added manually, then it is not done.

Once UC have the information they will backdate as appropriate and issue a payment to your bank.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 21st May 18, 8:37 PM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 2,953 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    Unfortunately the OP hasn't revisited his thread since his post @ 14:

Digger73
    Last activity: 17-05-2018 2:04 PM

Lets hope that the DWP do manage to credit him with the LCWRA element at some point.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,225Posts Today

5,978Users online

Martin's Twitter