Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 17th May 18, 9:05 AM
    • 1,238Posts
    • 388Thanks
    JohnB47
    Timer to control more than one circuit.
    • 17th May 18, 9:05 AM
    Timer to control more than one circuit. 17th May 18 at 9:05 AM
    Hi folks.

We have a timer for our underfloor heating (UFH - electric) and I'm thinking of getting another timer to control the on/off of the heated towel rail in the bathroom. It's only needed during summer months, as it is a dual wet/electric.

The thing is, I'm wondering if I could get just one timer to control both the HFH and the towel rail. One timer, two circuits and two sets of independent on/off times.

Has anyone come across something like that?

It would save having two unsightly timers with separate ways to set up and change. Also, I'm not impressed with the UGH timer we currently have - too inflexible.

Cheers.
Page 1
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 17th May 18, 4:30 PM
    • 3,360 Posts
    • 2,307 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 17th May 18, 4:30 PM
    • 17th May 18, 4:30 PM
    You will need to find a two-gang timer, that is one with separate input and output with two independent timers all mounted in one box. Good luck with that search. If the electrical feed to the UFH and to the bathroom towel rail/radiator are close by then it makes sense to do what you are suggesting. If they are far apart or in separate rooms just go for two separately mounted timers. You could buy a couple of separate timers and mount them on a box yourself (assuming you have the competence/confidence).

Something like this.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 17th May 18, 4:38 PM
    • 10,953 Posts
    • 11,494 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 17th May 18, 4:38 PM
    • 17th May 18, 4:38 PM
    In my experience, wall-mounted timers are expensive, inflexible and often unattractive (compared to central heating timer-thermostats which do a similar job).

I've never seen a dual-circuit timeswitch in any of the main outlets (though that doesn't mean they don't exist). If you can find a central heating timer that has independent circuits for heating and hot water, then you might be able to use that?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 17th May 18, 5:15 PM
    • 1,238 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    JohnB47
    • 17th May 18, 5:15 PM
    • 17th May 18, 5:15 PM
    Thanks both.

I did think that what I'm looking for doesn't exist. Just thought I'd ask.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 17th May 18, 7:30 PM
    • 8,843 Posts
    • 10,176 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 17th May 18, 7:30 PM
    • 17th May 18, 7:30 PM
    The problem is the loading. Most CH timers only switch 3 or 6 amps, your underfloor heating load especially is likely to be a lot more than about 700 watts.

You could use CH timers along with contactors to switch the loads, but they're often comparatively expensive and make clicky noises as they clunk in and out.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Risteard
    • By Risteard 17th May 18, 9:57 PM
    • 889 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    Risteard
    • 17th May 18, 9:57 PM
    • 17th May 18, 9:57 PM
    As above this could be done with contactors. Going to be expensive though. Get an Electrician to quote for the job.
    • Jonesya
    • By Jonesya 18th May 18, 7:33 AM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    Jonesya
    • 18th May 18, 7:33 AM
    • 18th May 18, 7:33 AM
    If you're putting two circuits through the same timer switch, you also need to consider where they are fed from, how they are fused and how they are isolated for safety and whether the timer affects that.

Probably easier to keep them separate.

The electronic hardwired timeswitches work well for towel rails - you can now even get WIFI controlled one (not got one of these myself)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Timeguard-Controlled-Timeswitch-Socket-FSTWIFI/dp/B07228W28L
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 18th May 18, 9:29 AM
    • 33,479 Posts
    • 20,231 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 18th May 18, 9:29 AM
    • 18th May 18, 9:29 AM
    Dual channel timer, will switch 2.3kw.

not a cheap solution

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/surface-mount-time-switches/3970558/

Should be able to find something to replace the existing wall plate(s) switch there are a lot out there when you google.
    try immersion heater timers

800w towel rail drying solution, does not time for warm towel in the morning

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DXFSCW.html?source=adwords&ad_position=1o4&ad_id=4 5425533757&placement=&kw=&network=g&matchtype=&ad_ type=pla&product_id=DXFSCW&product_partition_id=17 4053963587&test=finalurl_v2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxpOG 8eqO2wIVQrTtCh2GWAy3EAQYBCABEgJ1b_D_BwE
    Last edited by getmore4less; 18-05-2018 at 9:35 AM.
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 18th May 18, 3:45 PM
    • 1,238 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    JohnB47
    • 18th May 18, 3:45 PM
    • 18th May 18, 3:45 PM
    Dual channel timer, will switch 2.3kw.

not a cheap solution

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/surface-mount-time-switches/3970558/

Should be able to find something to replace the existing wall plate(s) switch there are a lot out there when you google.
    try immersion heater timers

800w towel rail drying solution, does not time for warm towel in the morning

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DXFSCW.html?source=adwords&ad_position=1o4&ad_id=4 5425533757&placement=&kw=&network=g&matchtype=&ad_ type=pla&product_id=DXFSCW&product_partition_id=17 4053963587&test=finalurl_v2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxpOG 8eqO2wIVQrTtCh2GWAy3EAQYBCABEgJ1b_D_BwE
    Originally posted by getmore4less
    Thanks for this. The dual channel time does look a bit too pricey but you've shown that they do exist.

I've seen similar to the runback timer you mention - eg:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Horstmann-E30-Electric-Towel-Rail-Digital-Timer-Switch-Energy-Saving-timer/282262243206?hash=item41b8240786:g:5soAAOSwNZtZv4j f

But of course they don't allow you to time the towel rail to come on in advance. Still, that might be a solution for the summer, where we just want the towels to dry quickly but don't need the room heated.

Cheers.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 18th May 18, 6:36 PM
    • 4,877 Posts
    • 1,841 Thanks
    knightstyle
    We had a Sangamo 26404 4 way timer at work, expensive but worked well. There must be cheaper ones out there.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 19th May 18, 10:36 AM
    • 3,360 Posts
    • 2,307 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    We had a Sangamo 26404 4 way timer at work, expensive but worked well. There must be cheaper ones out there.
    Originally posted by knightstyle
    That would work - if a little overkill - but you would need a large box and would need to mount a piece of DIN rail in it to mount the switch.

Seeing that one prompted me to search for more Sangamo products and they do one called PR2N which claims to have two separate channels but when looking at the wiring diagram there is a common Live for the clock and the two channels. Check out the installation instruction here.
    • Trapdoor
    • By Trapdoor 19th May 18, 10:50 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    Trapdoor
    We went with separate control and timers for our bathroom refits ... the underfloor had fancy controllers linked via WiFi to an app but were single channel.

We opted for these...

http://www.timeguard.com/products/time/immersion-and-general-purpose-timeswitches/wi-fi-controlled-fused-spur

...to control our dual fuel towel radiators. These were installed in our airing cupboard as they aren!!!8217;t IP rated but could easily have been installed outside the bathroom(s) adjacent to the towel rads, it was just neater to have them out of the way.

You do HAVE to control these with an app, but they can be manually switched. There are no timer controls on the unit though.

Find it handy as we can just switch them to boost if we have a bath and change the program for early starts etc without having to physically touch the thing. Works for us.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,705Posts Today

8,920Users online

Martin's Twitter