Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kuepper
    • By kuepper 17th May 18, 12:51 AM
    • 698Posts
    • 112Thanks
    kuepper
    ebay fraudulent transaction - a/c hack
    • 17th May 18, 12:51 AM
    ebay fraudulent transaction - a/c hack 17th May 18 at 12:51 AM
    got an email congratulating me on my purchase of a chain saw being sent to an address in Surrey (I live in the North of England). Spent a long time cancelling the transaction, contacting ebay and paypal and also my bank as my credit card had been used to buy the item via paypal. Worrying how tha happened. When checking my ebay account my address had been changed to the Surrey delivery address but no-one I spoke to seemed remotely interested in knowing what that address was. Does this mean these crimes never get reported/investigated by Police?
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 17th May 18, 2:01 AM
    • 27,986 Posts
    • 11,367 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 17th May 18, 2:01 AM
    • 17th May 18, 2:01 AM
    Have you reported the crime?

Use the same password for ebay and paypal by any chance?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • kuepper
    • By kuepper 17th May 18, 6:51 AM
    • 698 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    kuepper
    • 17th May 18, 6:51 AM
    • 17th May 18, 6:51 AM
    Have you reported the crime?

Use the same password for ebay and paypal by any chance?
    Originally posted by forgotmyname

No I haven't reorted, am I supposed to>? I would have thought ebay would have a mechanism for doing that.

No different passwords
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 17th May 18, 7:42 AM
    • 3,537 Posts
    • 1,994 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 17th May 18, 7:42 AM
    • 17th May 18, 7:42 AM
    I'm assuming you managed to contact the seller in time so they didn't dispatch the chain saw?
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 17th May 18, 9:10 AM
    • 61,076 Posts
    • 43,633 Thanks
    soolin
    • 17th May 18, 9:10 AM
    • 17th May 18, 9:10 AM
    If you have had 2 different things hacked- ebay and facebook, then you either have a key logger virus, being targeted by someone who knows your passwords or someone has access to your email account.

Firstly I would suggest that you get over to the techie board and do a complete clean, not just a virus scan, of your PC, they can talk you through it. Then change your passwords everywhere, your email account is the first place to start- with that they can work the system depending on what other information they can access and start requesting password changes.

Do this as a matter of urgency, you don't know what else the hacker hasaccess to.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

115Posts Today

1,411Users online

Martin's Twitter