Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • guzzbuzz
    • By guzzbuzz 17th May 18, 12:16 AM
    • 327Posts
    • 111Thanks
    guzzbuzz
    0 WOW
    So who is safe to book with?
    • 17th May 18, 12:16 AM
    0 WOW
    So who is safe to book with? 17th May 18 at 12:16 AM
    After reading the multiple threads about TUI on here (i was thinking about booking with them before i came on here!)

And after seeing the recent icelolly thread (again i was looking at their website recently)

Now im wondering who is actually safe and trustworthy to book a package holiday through?

Some of the prices seem great on places like TUI, Icelolly and holidaypirates but after reading the problems people are having with websites like these its got me reconsidering if its worth the hassle.

Are there any good ones that people can recommend please?
Page 1
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 17th May 18, 2:50 AM
    • 2,038 Posts
    • 2,790 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 17th May 18, 2:50 AM
    • 17th May 18, 2:50 AM
    If ever we go on package holiday we use TUI and have never had a problem. But we usually do a holiday booking ourselves. Book our flights and then find accommodation using booking.com or find an apartment.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 17th May 18, 7:43 AM
    • 16,026 Posts
    • 12,075 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 17th May 18, 7:43 AM
    • 17th May 18, 7:43 AM
    Just avoid teletext
    • meer53
    • By meer53 17th May 18, 8:49 AM
    • 9,152 Posts
    • 13,288 Thanks
    meer53
    • 17th May 18, 8:49 AM
    • 17th May 18, 8:49 AM
    Jet2 are good
    • richardw
    • By richardw 17th May 18, 8:52 AM
    • 18,580 Posts
    • 7,696 Thanks
    richardw
    • 17th May 18, 8:52 AM
    • 17th May 18, 8:52 AM
    Find a holiday on line then pop in to a TUI or Thomas cook shop and book it there.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 17th May 18, 10:01 AM
    • 720 Posts
    • 847 Thanks
    ibizafan
    • 17th May 18, 10:01 AM
    • 17th May 18, 10:01 AM
    We book at least one holiday every year with Tui, and have no problems with them.
    • guzzbuzz
    • By guzzbuzz 17th May 18, 10:34 AM
    • 327 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    guzzbuzz
    • 17th May 18, 10:34 AM
    • 17th May 18, 10:34 AM
    I have been looking at doing the flights + accommodation myself (this is how ive always done it tbh)

But when you factor in the need for a suitcase (if going away for 7-14 days). The airlines usually charge 40-50 for this (20-25kg) and then you factor in the transfers from the airport to your hotel (some packages holidays do this for free) it seems to be working out cheaper for a package deal in many cases.

That's what had me looking at them to be honest. Plus i've never been all inclusive so that also had me interested. Which seems much more expensive if you just try and book with booking.com etc?

Didnt think about TUI in store, it does seem like most of the problems they'e had are with the online website. Might check out the nearest store for a deal.

Do they match the price you see online or even have better/different deals than online?
    • shopaholicz
    • By shopaholicz 17th May 18, 10:38 AM
    • 730 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    shopaholicz
    • 17th May 18, 10:38 AM
    • 17th May 18, 10:38 AM
    We've been going away with TUI for years and have never had even one problem.

For a last minute hol this year our daughter booked us with Sunmaster as we didn't have any issues with them either.
    I love a bargain. Now mortgage and debt free. hurray!!
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 17th May 18, 11:48 AM
    • 4,833 Posts
    • 3,955 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    • 17th May 18, 11:48 AM
    • 17th May 18, 11:48 AM
    I have been looking at doing the flights + accommodation myself (this is how ive always done it tbh)

But when you factor in the need for a suitcase (if going away for 7-14 days). The airlines usually charge 40-50 for this (20-25kg) and then you factor in the transfers from the airport to your hotel (some packages holidays do this for free) it seems to be working out cheaper for a package deal in many cases.

That's what had me looking at them to be honest. Plus i've never been all inclusive so that also had me interested. Which seems much more expensive if you just try and book with booking.com etc?
    Originally posted by guzzbuzz
    I recently did my first ever All Inclusive package holiday and I must say it was an eye-opener. I've always done the DIY route and maybe I had been a little snobbish about packages in general and AI in particular. However, a couple of weeks ago I found myself with some unexpected time off and needing to book a last minute holiday. I found a late availability AI deal through Thomas Cook to Turkey which was just too cheap to refuse.

For the price I really couldn't complain at all - the transfers were flawless, the room much better than I expected (travelling alone I thought I would be dumped into the worst room in the hotel) and the food was perfectly adequate - plus the drinks were free
    I only ate in the hotel a few times as I like to go out to explore but it was nice to have the option of free food and drink if you were feeling lazy.

I don't think AI is ever going to replace my DIY adventures around SE Asia or city breaks in Europe but I can see their attraction for a hassle free week in the sun for a price that is impossible to beat.
    • alwaysskint96
    • By alwaysskint96 17th May 18, 12:04 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 618 Thanks
    alwaysskint96
    We've been going away with TUI for years and have never had even one problem.

For a last minute hol this year our daughter booked us with Sunmaster as we didn't have any issues with them either.
    Originally posted by shopaholicz

LOL i came back froim a TUI holiday yesterday. The coach transfer failed to turn up at hotel so we had to get a taxi- 75 euros and then argue the point at the airport to get it refunded- which they did do after 15 min of discussion- unbfortuantely in euros cash, which to change back means me lose out . Also made it very tight on check in to make plane- granned a rep and got taken to sp[ecial assistance
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 17th May 18, 4:31 PM
    • 367 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    The big package companies, TUI, Thomas Cook and Jet2 are sound.

The latter are especially good - well organised check in at airport, ample legroom on aircraft, generous 23kg baggage allowance and (in many locations) resort check in for the return flight. You say goodbye (temporarily) to your luggage at the hotel and go straight to security on arrival at the departure airport.

DIY holidays are fine, however they do have drawbacks in certain circumstances - like the volcanic ash drama in 2010 when so many flights were cancelled.

We were in a hotel in Malta on a Thomas Cook package and were well looked after for the 4 extra days in the same room on same board basis until they chartered an Air Malta aircraft to get us back to the UK.

DIY clients in our hotel were not covered by such duty of care apparently.
    Last edited by NoodleDoodleMan; 17-05-2018 at 8:37 PM.
    • holidaysforme
    • By holidaysforme 17th May 18, 5:03 PM
    • 1,563 Posts
    • 1,258 Thanks
    holidaysforme
    We haven't booked a package for a few years, but have used Thompson (now Tui) Thomas cook, first choice and Sunshine holidays successfully in the past without any problems. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again if the price was right, and in fact one of our holidays next year will very likely be with Tui.

Sometimes a package is the best fit, particularly for a beach holiday, and when not in school holidays.

Have you looked at holiday pirates? They have some fantastic deals but you've got to get in quick.
    • bspm1
    • By bspm1 17th May 18, 5:11 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 148 Thanks
    bspm1
    After reading the multiple threads about TUI on here (i was thinking about booking with them before i came on here!)

And after seeing the recent icelolly thread (again i was looking at their website recently)

Now im wondering who is actually safe and trustworthy to book a package holiday through?

Some of the prices seem great on places like TUI, Icelolly and holidaypirates but after reading the problems people are having with websites like these its got me reconsidering if its worth the hassle.

Are there any good ones that people can recommend please?
    Originally posted by guzzbuzz
    Sign up for travelzoo's weekly emails, they take some beating, in fact would go so far as to say they are unbeatable. We book two cruises a year, normally through Trailfinders but, on receiving an email from travelzoo offering a cruise at a fantastic price I called Trailfinders to be told, if it is on there we cannot beat it.
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 17th May 18, 5:12 PM
    • 1,278 Posts
    • 622 Thanks
    Neil49
    You shouldn't just go on the threads posted on here because they are from people who have something to complain about.

No one is going to set up a post saying what a great time they had but for the vast majority of people who book packages with TUI and others that will be how their holiday turned out.

We've been on packages with both TUI and Jet 2 and they have been very good.
    • holidaysforme
    • By holidaysforme 17th May 18, 5:25 PM
    • 1,563 Posts
    • 1,258 Thanks
    holidaysforme
    Sign up for travelzoo's weekly emails, they take some beating, in fact would go so far as to say they are unbeatable. We book two cruises a year, normally through Trailfinders but, on receiving an email from travelzoo offering a cruise at a fantastic price I called Trailfinders to be told, if it is on there we cannot beat it.
    Originally posted by bspm1
    That's good to know. I have used TZ to book many hotel weekend deals in the UK, but never thought to look to see what deals they have for abroad..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

110Posts Today

1,711Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin