Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dand777
    • By Dand777 16th May 18, 11:14 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Dand777
    Not at fault car insurance claim.
    • 16th May 18, 11:14 PM
    Not at fault car insurance claim. 16th May 18 at 11:14 PM
    Okay so a bit of backstory.

I have been driving 6 years and for the first few years like most young drivers i was driving a small hatchback worth a few hundred quid. I was the named driver on my mums direct line policy. In May 2014 i was coming into my drive when my neighbour backed out of hers, She didnt see me and kept reversing, i tried to swerve around her but i hit her rear end and crumpled my bumper and headlight unit. At the time i was already looking at my second car and so instead of going to the insurance company I bought a new bumper off ebay and fitted it myself for 60 quid (i scrapped the car 2 months later anyway). After the incident i never talked to the neighbour about it and i never recieved any letter or contact whatsoever from my insurance company.

Fast forward to today and i am on my third car, still with direct line but on my own policy. I logged on to my online insurance for the first time and it said on the policy details no. of claims 1... Confused i called up Direct Line and they said i had a not at fault claim in May 2014. Their records said "Claim has been recovered".

How have i got an a Not at fault claim on my record if i never claimed? and what claim did they supposedly recover?

I asked them if it could be removed as it must be a mistake and they said there was nothing they could do.
Page 1
    • Zorillo
    • By Zorillo 16th May 18, 11:25 PM
    • 162 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Zorillo
    • 16th May 18, 11:25 PM
    • 16th May 18, 11:25 PM
    That's odd. Did your mum report it perhaps? After all, it was her policy.

The accident happened so you have no right to have it removed from your record, but you do have a right to ask Direct Line to confirm how they know about it. However:

You were in breach of your policy conditions by not reporting the accident at the time, regardless of whether you intended to claim, the circumstances you've reported are very fortunate not to have been recorded as a split liability accident, and it seems possible from how you've described the vehicle as yours that your mother was 'fronting' insurance on your behalf to obtain a cheaper premium, which would be illegal.

If I was in your position, I think I'd let it go.
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 17th May 18, 8:24 AM
    • 1,087 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 17th May 18, 8:24 AM
    • 17th May 18, 8:24 AM
    Their records are correct. It's more likely an 'incident' reported on your policy.

You must report any incident to the insurers, whether you're at fault or not, and whether you claim or not.

It's likely the neighbour informed their insurers, and then their insurer contacted Direct Line.

It won't be removed from your records, as it's actually correct.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

203Posts Today

1,993Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin