Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hammy1988
    • By hammy1988 16th May 18, 10:33 PM
    • 135Posts
    • 88Thanks
    hammy1988
    Student finance, partner earns 30k - Maintenance loan
    • 16th May 18, 10:33 PM
    Student finance, partner earns 30k - Maintenance loan 16th May 18 at 10:33 PM
    Hi there,

I'm currently applying for student finance for a degree, and am unsure as to how much maintenance loan I would qualify for? I'm planning to study full time and attend in the week at the university so am hoping for a maintenance grant to help with the costs of having to give up my part time job (they won't work around the hours).

My husbands set wage is 30k, any ideas on whether I would still qualify for help?

I've tried the calculator and it says yes, and then looked on some forums and they say no. So anyone who has recently applied with similar circumstances and can give any info on what I might be entitled to would be appreciated.
Page 1
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 17th May 18, 9:05 AM
    • 37,403 Posts
    • 157,467 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 17th May 18, 9:05 AM
    • 17th May 18, 9:05 AM
    If you are eligible then you would get a loan for all of your tuition fees and some maintenance. There is a minimum level that is non means tested, though I wouldn't have thought 30k was high enough to rule out all the means tested element.
    • Starrystarrynight1
    • By Starrystarrynight1 21st May 18, 6:27 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    Starrystarrynight1
    • 21st May 18, 6:27 PM
    • 21st May 18, 6:27 PM
    https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

This is the link to the.gov.uk student finance calculator. There are no longer any maintenance grants.

The only grants still around are for childcare expenses, parental learning allowance and adult dependants, if applicable. These 3 grants are completely income based. More info can be found here:
    https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/extra-help
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I used to be Starrystarrynight on MSE, before a log in technical glitch!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,372Posts Today

7,389Users online

Martin's Twitter