Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 16th May 18, 10:06 PM
    • 940Posts
    • 36Thanks
    wallofbeans
    freeview channels disappearing...
    • 16th May 18, 10:06 PM
    freeview channels disappearing... 16th May 18 at 10:06 PM
    Hi All,

I got a new YouView box recently and noticed that when I tuned it, I suddenly wasn't getting BBC News HD or BBC 4 HD (and I think C4+1 HD) and I assumed it was something to do with the freeview signal stuff happening and the need for a retune...

I retuned and managed to get back BBC4 HD but am still missing the other two, and possibly a few more that I haven't noticed yet...

And now, weeks later, for some reason the signal quality and strength on BBC 4 HD has dropped to the 40% range and it's cutting out all over the place.

I really don't want to have to get a new aerial as it was all replaced less than 4 years ago... Is there anything I can do about this?
Page 1
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 16th May 18, 10:15 PM
    • 8,662 Posts
    • 6,539 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 16th May 18, 10:15 PM
    • 16th May 18, 10:15 PM
    Check your aerial leads are connected securely first , is your TV a HD tuner box? If so connect the in lead for your freeview box to the the TV see if it cures the problem for those , If not then let us know
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 16th May 18, 10:23 PM
    • 940 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    • 16th May 18, 10:23 PM
    • 16th May 18, 10:23 PM
    Check your aerial leads are connected securely first , is your TV a HD tuner box? If so connect the in lead for your freeview box to the the TV see if it cures the problem for those , If not then let us know
    Originally posted by debitcardmayhem
    Aerial leads are connected. I've got a signal to TV and to YouView box and BBC4 has gone completely from freeview direct through TV.

I'm wondering if it's the little aerial amplifier that was fitted when the aerials was replaced. Maybe that is playing up... but that would affect the quality of all the channels, wouldn't it?
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 16th May 18, 10:35 PM
    • 8,662 Posts
    • 6,539 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 16th May 18, 10:35 PM
    • 16th May 18, 10:35 PM
    Does the TV accept HD TV via its own tuner?
    Tell us which TV model it is and which freeview box model it is, more info will help There are too many unknown variables to diagnose , one of the leads could be faulty , does the little amplifier supply other TVs I can't guess nor really can anyone else
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 16th May 18, 10:52 PM
    • 940 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    • 16th May 18, 10:52 PM
    • 16th May 18, 10:52 PM
    Yes the TV accepts HD TV all on its own. It's the most recent YouView box with BT branding, I don't know what model number it is. The TV is a Panasonic TX40EX700B and the aerial goes into an amplifier that then outputs to the Youview box and direct to the TV.
    Last edited by wallofbeans; 16-05-2018 at 10:58 PM.
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 16th May 18, 10:57 PM
    • 940 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    • 16th May 18, 10:57 PM
    • 16th May 18, 10:57 PM
    I've just checked the amplifier - it had a red light on and the leads were secure (they are the twist on kind so wont come unplugged) but I thought I'd take all out and reconnect just in case.

When I reconnected, for some reason the red light was joined by a green light, and now my signal has improved. What could have been the issue?

I retuned both TV and YV box and now have BBC News HD and C4 HD back on the freeview signal direct to the TV, but still neither of them via the YouView box. The BBC 4 HD signal is stronger again though.

Any ideas how to make the YouView box find those channels again, or why it isn't already?
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 17th May 18, 8:31 AM
    • 1,413 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 17th May 18, 8:31 AM
    • 17th May 18, 8:31 AM
    The tuner in the YV box may be less sensitive than the one in the TV, hence not finding all the channels.

The problem with the disappearing channels could well be down to the fact that that the muxes have been moved around the broadcast spectrum and the ones with BBC News HD and BBC 4 HD have been moved to an area of the spectrum that your aerial does not pick up so well.

This is what has happened in my case I think. After the last retune I can't recieve BBC News HD and BBC HD has a lower signal strength. The muxes those channels are on did move quite significantly up the spectrum. I get TV from the Sutton Coldfield transmitter.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 17th May 18, 8:46 AM
    • 4,752 Posts
    • 4,742 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 17th May 18, 8:46 AM
    • 17th May 18, 8:46 AM
    Is yours the recording YouView box? If yes then it has 2 tuners inside it (so you can watch 1 channel while recording another), thus it needs a stronger signal at the aerial connection.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 17th May 18, 8:48 AM
    • 2,751 Posts
    • 1,367 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 17th May 18, 8:48 AM
    • 17th May 18, 8:48 AM
    I've just checked the amplifier - it had a red light on and the leads were secure (they are the twist on kind so wont come unplugged) but I thought I'd take all out and reconnect just in case.
    Originally posted by wallofbeans
    I think @wongataa has probably answered your question but have you tried plugging the aerial directly into the TV first (missing out the amp). If that works then try the aerial in the YV box (without amp again) and connect the YV box directly to the TV (is it an HDMI connection between the YV box & the TV?)

The lights on the amp suggest that the red light means you're just not getting a good enough signal, when it changed to green after redoing the connections could have been down to old exposed cables.

I presume the fact that you're using an amp in the first place means you're in a very poor reception area? Is the aerial on the roof or in the loft?
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 17th May 18, 8:53 AM
    • 3,696 Posts
    • 1,781 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    I've just checked the amplifier - it had a red light on
    Buy a new amplifier. They don't always last forever. Cheap as chips to buy - find make and type on existing box then buy one online.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 17th May 18, 9:39 AM
    • 940 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    It is the recording YouView box (I didn't know there was another kind) and yes, it has two tuners.

The signal direct to the TV is better now. Although it wasn't before they messed around with the transmitter (Crystal Palace is my local).

The red light on the amp hasn't gone out - I now have both red and green on.

Aerial is on the roof. New one fitted in December 2014 with amp and all wiring. Worked great until a few weeks ago.

I will buy a new amp and see if that does the trick.

Very annoying though, signal on most channels very strong and quality good. It's just this one batch that are suddenly giving me trouble.
    Last edited by wallofbeans; 17-05-2018 at 8:35 PM.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 17th May 18, 10:52 AM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 2,126 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    I have just had a similar issue, HD channels were working fine and suddenly weren't there. I checked my aerial by connecting it direct to a TV (rather than through the splitter/amp) and had no signal at all. Decided it was an aerial issue - can't believe it, it's only 10 years old! My chap I use for aerials and satellite dishes has just left, after fitting new aerial. He showed me the old one and the leads soldered to the little pcb had rotted away due to water ingress. Now plenty of signal and all HD channels are back. Result - Mrs Le_Kirk happy - Le_Kirk off the hook!
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 17th May 18, 11:05 AM
    • 1,603 Posts
    • 1,337 Thanks
    Carrot007
    Buy a new amplifier. They don't always last forever. Cheap as chips to buy - find make and type on existing box then buy one online.
    Originally posted by grumpycrab

And also try without. Amplifiers are a lot less usefull on digital. They just amplify the noise too and you still get nothing.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 17th May 18, 12:40 PM
    • 2,751 Posts
    • 1,367 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    The signal direct to the TV is better now. Although it wasn't before they messed around with the transmitter (Crystal Palace is my local).
    Is that skipping the amp entirely or do you mean direct from the amp?

Try it direct from the aerial to the TV with nothing else interrupting the signal.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 17th May 18, 12:43 PM
    • 2,751 Posts
    • 1,367 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    BTW I'm presuming you know how to correctly tune Freeview?

As long as you have a decent signal take the aerial feed out and do a full scan, this will clear all stored channels. Then do the same with the aerial in, you'll need to do this with both TV & YV box.
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 17th May 18, 12:45 PM
    • 2,730 Posts
    • 3,041 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    I understand that BBC4 HD is one of a number of channels moved in the latest update to a higher frequency band and that some older (Group A) aerials don't receive that band very well, and also some tuners i(e.g. in PVRs) struggle more than others.

I've lost it as well.

Many forums discussing the issue ... one of them :

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/Unable-to-receive-BBC-4-HD-after-Freeview-retune/td-p/1837965
    Last edited by TonyMMM; 17-05-2018 at 12:48 PM.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 17th May 18, 12:55 PM
    • 10,360 Posts
    • 7,761 Thanks
    GunJack
    I have just had a similar issue, HD channels were working fine and suddenly weren't there. I checked my aerial by connecting it direct to a TV (rather than through the splitter/amp) and had no signal at all. Decided it was an aerial issue - can't believe it, it's only 10 years old! My chap I use for aerials and satellite dishes has just left, after fitting new aerial. He showed me the old one and the leads soldered to the little pcb had rotted away due to water ingress. Now plenty of signal and all HD channels are back. Result - Mrs Le_Kirk happy - Le_Kirk off the hook!
    Originally posted by Le_Kirk
    My mum and dad have just had the same issue...they just aren't made as robustly as they once were - applies to most things these days
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 17th May 18, 4:17 PM
    • 3,207 Posts
    • 2,126 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    My mum and dad have just had the same issue...they just aren't made as robustly as they once were - applies to most things these days
    Originally posted by GunJack
    I hope you were referring to the aerial and not your mum & Dad!!
    • wallofbeans
    • By wallofbeans 17th May 18, 5:02 PM
    • 940 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    wallofbeans
    Iíve not tried without amp at all, but have aerial coming into house and then to tv - retuned TV and got all channels again.

But going from aerial via YouView Box I donít.

Iíll try returning without aerial plugged in to reset it. Iíve done that before but not this time.

Is there any way of being able to tell what type of aerial I have on the roof and if there is a newer type that would make a difference? Has the tech changed in the last 3 years?

Thanks all!
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 17th May 18, 6:28 PM
    • 1,413 Posts
    • 855 Thanks
    wongataa
    Is there any way of being able to tell what type of aerial I have on the roof and if there is a newer type that would make a difference?
    Take a picture of your aerial and find a website all about TV aerials like this one: http://www.aerialsandtv.com/index.html. Compare the pictures on the website with the the picture of yours. Factor in what part of the spectrum TV was broadcast in your area when the aerial was installed.

Has the tech changed in the last 3 years?
    No. TV aerial tech hasn't really changed for decades.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,562Posts Today

6,914Users online

Martin's Twitter