Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 16th May 18, 9:41 PM
    • 631Posts
    • 4,191Thanks
    sstevo19
    Tips on staying calm when very nervous
    • 16th May 18, 9:41 PM
    Tips on staying calm when very nervous 16th May 18 at 9:41 PM
    Hi all, I'm hoping you guys could be of some help. I'm hoping this is in the right section.

I've recently started having driving lessons after putting it off for a long time due to nerves. What doesn't help is I'm quite an anxious person normally. My instructor is lovely, very calm and patient, but I'm getting myself panicked before and during my lessons. But I am enjoying my lessons, strangely, and want to carry on with them.

Is there any tips you guys could share some tips on what helps calm you down when your extremely nervous and panicked. I just want be calm for once.

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 16th May 18, 10:36 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 1,672 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 16th May 18, 10:36 PM
    • 16th May 18, 10:36 PM
    Just getting on with it, don't think about it. It's pretty weird as much as I hate the recent lunch time interviews I seem to be getting I probably do better in them because when at work in the morning I just don't get time to think and build up anything else.

As someone made more nervous by driving instructor and it took 4 years to get passed and I kept hearing you'll never do this, a couple even stopped lessons telling me I'd never do it.
    So I just wouldn't let them see me nervous and if I do have a nice instructor defo focus on that.
    Anyway I've been driving 7 years now as a rather confident driver after doing a lot of miles. (the first year I would simply drive to work which was not far then and back, wrong!) Doing intense driving courses helped me rather then weekly lessons toward the end when thinking about the test. I still remember going out with this most silly innate unexplainable grin on the morning of the day I finally past. I remember my heart beating the first time I left the A120 for the M11! A year earlier I couldn't bear the initial thought of driving to a small nearby local town when my job changed so you have to push yourself.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 16th May 18, 10:41 PM
    • 16,010 Posts
    • 12,052 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 16th May 18, 10:41 PM
    • 16th May 18, 10:41 PM
    Deep breathing is the best solution
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 16th May 18, 10:54 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 4,536 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    • 16th May 18, 10:54 PM
    • 16th May 18, 10:54 PM
    As above, don't give it room in your head.

When you feel the anxiety, acknowledge it (I give the various fears funny nicknames and then laugh at them) then push it right out of your head. Immediately focus on something else.

Don't go over and over and over it because you'll just work yourself up.
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 17th May 18, 9:19 AM
    • 631 Posts
    • 4,191 Thanks
    sstevo19
    • 17th May 18, 9:19 AM
    • 17th May 18, 9:19 AM
    Thanks guys, I'll try your ideas. I'll try not to think about it. I've got another lesson on Monday. I'll not to think about it between now and Monday. I'll try to keep myself distracted and not to dwell on it too much. Hopefully I'll be calmer on Monday.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 17th May 18, 1:23 PM
    • 2,662 Posts
    • 7,123 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    • 17th May 18, 1:23 PM
    • 17th May 18, 1:23 PM
    Some great techniques in this book for getting rid of unhelpful/unwanted thoughts:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cognitive-Behavioural-Therapy-Dummies-Branch/dp/0470665416
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 17th May 18, 2:03 PM
    • 3,593 Posts
    • 8,923 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 17th May 18, 2:03 PM
    • 17th May 18, 2:03 PM
    I don't know if this actually works or not but before your lesson stand somewhere quiet in a superman pose, closed eyes breathing deeply.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • Lrimas
    • By Lrimas 17th May 18, 2:16 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    Lrimas
    • 17th May 18, 2:16 PM
    • 17th May 18, 2:16 PM
    I had the exact same thing with driving when I just started.

The worst was my driving test (I don't like tests either). Luckily the guy who did the test was brilliant and told me: "get out of the car and walk around it until you calm down. The entire car is shaking with you". I still have no idea how I passed the test.

How I deal with anxiety now: this is going to sound silly but a fantasy book helped me a lot (The Emperor's Soul by Brandon Sanderson). At some point in the book the main character thinks: "I have to become someone different. I have to become a person that can deal with this." These days I pretend that I can deal with whatever it is that is making me nervous and that usually works.

Good luck! You have this
    • suejb2
    • By suejb2 17th May 18, 2:53 PM
    • 1,370 Posts
    • 2,106 Thanks
    suejb2
    • 17th May 18, 2:53 PM
    Driving
    • 17th May 18, 2:53 PM
    Can you take a crash course of lessons ,hate that term when linked with driving!

Can you take a block of lessons get them over and done giving you less time to over think, and get the confidence.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 17th May 18, 9:25 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 4,191 Thanks
    sstevo19
    Can you take a crash course of lessons ,hate that term when linked with driving!

Can you take a block of lessons get them over and done giving you less time to over think, and get the confidence.
    Originally posted by suejb2
    Thanks suejb2 my instructor has suggested taking a few lessons a week, but I've been working a lot of extra hours recently, so when I can, I'm hopefully going to have more than one a week. But he understands that my schedule and finances may not allow for that. I have the money for lessons, just not the time. I think having less time between lessons might help as I won't as much time to dwell on it.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 17th May 18, 9:30 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 4,191 Thanks
    sstevo19
    I had the exact same thing with driving when I just started.

The worst was my driving test (I don't like tests either). Luckily the guy who did the test was brilliant and told me: "get out of the car and walk around it until you calm down. The entire car is shaking with you". I still have no idea how I passed the test.

How I deal with anxiety now: this is going to sound silly but a fantasy book helped me a lot (The Emperor's Soul by Brandon Sanderson). At some point in the book the main character thinks: "I have to become someone different. I have to become a person that can deal with this." These days I pretend that I can deal with whatever it is that is making me nervous and that usually works.

Good luck! You have this
    Originally posted by Lrimas
    Thanks!

I try and get on with things when I'm anxious but it does tend to be noticeable that I'm nervous. My hands can shake quite a lot and I get all hot and flustered.

• sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 17th May 18, 9:32 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 4,191 Thanks
    sstevo19
    I don't know if this actually works or not but before your lesson stand somewhere quiet in a superman pose, closed eyes breathing deeply.
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    I'm definitely going to try this, thanks!
    • Saffythecat
    • By Saffythecat 17th May 18, 9:37 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Saffythecat
    Nit linked to driving, but I rub lavender oil round my nose if I am really nervous (eg, dentist appointment) and find it really helps.
    • suejb2
    • By suejb2 18th May 18, 3:11 PM
    • 1,370 Posts
    • 2,106 Thanks
    suejb2
    Driving
    I remember my S.I.L in the lead to up to stress induced situations, exam, interviews and others would use smell to change the situation. I mean she would use smell a to install nice positive thoughts.
    She mostly would use Sun tan lotion as she associated that smell with fun, relaxing stress free times. It may be mind over matter, but, she passed her exams, got the job and passed her driving test first time.
    She used sun tan lotion but yours could be a perfume, fabric conditioner, air freshener even . Something that provokes good thoughts.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 18th May 18, 4:18 PM
    • 395 Posts
    • 603 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    Thanks suejb2 my instructor has suggested taking a few lessons a week, but I've been working a lot of extra hours recently, so when I can, I'm hopefully going to have more than one a week. But he understands that my schedule and finances may not allow for that. I have the money for lessons, just not the time. I think having less time between lessons might help as I won't as much time to dwell on it.

Thanks for the suggestion though.
    Originally posted by sstevo19
    I found when I started doing 2 lessons a week (had to pick up the pace before my instructor retired lol) that I felt more comfortable in the lessons as there was less time between them. I went a week and a half between lessons during that stage once and I felt a bit uneasy at first as I wasn't used to that big of a gap, but it does get easier
    Debt paid 1780.76 / 7180.59 (24%)
    CAR SERVICE CHALLENGE: 21/154 BY 5/6/18 (13.5 %)
    EMERGENCY FUND: 0 SAVINGS POTS: 0
    • sstevo19
    • By sstevo19 18th May 18, 8:06 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 4,191 Thanks
    sstevo19
    I remember my S.I.L in the lead to up to stress induced situations, exam, interviews and others would use smell to change the situation. I mean she would use smell a to install nice positive thoughts.
    She mostly would use Sun tan lotion as she associated that smell with fun, relaxing stress free times. It may be mind over matter, but, she passed her exams, got the job and passed her driving test first time.
    She used sun tan lotion but yours could be a perfume, fabric conditioner, air freshener even . Something that provokes good thoughts.
    Originally posted by suejb2
    Thanks, I might try this. I do find a good smell relaxing. I will definitely try this.
    • FluffityBunny
    • By FluffityBunny 18th May 18, 9:44 PM
    • 135 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    FluffityBunny
    It may sound stupid but maybe try the technique I'm using to calm my 3 year old with when she gets stressy.

Say the words as you are doing it

"Smell the flower" (inhale through nose)

"Blow out the candles" (exhale through mouth)

I'm trying it myself as well and it does slow down your breathing and help you relax.
    • esmy
    • By esmy 19th May 18, 4:41 PM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 4,035 Thanks
    esmy
    Whenever I'm about to do something I'm nervous about, I say to myself 'This time tomorrow, it will all be over', and usually it works *

* did not apply to labour and birth!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,338Posts Today

8,060Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin