Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TuppenceHapenny
    • By TuppenceHapenny 16th May 18, 9:23 PM
    • 40Posts
    • 2Thanks
    TuppenceHapenny
    Is Palace PVA suitable for adding to mortar for external re-pointing?
    • 16th May 18, 9:23 PM
    Is Palace PVA suitable for adding to mortar for external re-pointing? 16th May 18 at 9:23 PM
    I bought some cheap Palace PVA 'Multi-Purpose Adhesive and Sealer'. If it's suitable, I would like to add it to mortar to be used for re-pointing a roof verge (which is obviously exposed to the elements). Instructions on the bottle of PVA seem to imply it is suitable for external use but are not entirely clear (at least, not to me):

"Ideal for DIY Hobbies and Crafts"
    "USES: ... Priming cement etc; for painting, dilute 5 parts with 1 part water. ... Palace PVA can also be used as a bonding aid and admix."

I tried testing the PVA by applying some to a surface, leaving it to dry (so it turned clear), then wetting it and it returned to being white and slightly tacky. Does this show it is not suitable for external use?

(Many sources on the Internet say PVA can be added to mortar, but at least one I've seen says PVA is not waterproof, not suitable for external use and instead EVA should be used, not PVA)
Page 1
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 16th May 18, 9:43 PM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 916 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 16th May 18, 9:43 PM
    • 16th May 18, 9:43 PM
    Is it waterprooof? It should say on the container.
    Hi there! Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Furts
    • By Furts 17th May 18, 7:58 AM
    • 4,220 Posts
    • 2,737 Thanks
    Furts
    • 17th May 18, 7:58 AM
    • 17th May 18, 7:58 AM
    Screwfix sell waterproof pva, and this is twice the price of ordinary pva. This makes me suspicious of your pva - though I am aware of the brand.

As stated above, look closely at the label but an obvious point arises. Just because your product can be added to mortar, or concrete, or screed, does not mean it can be used in all situations. Many walls and slabs remain permanently dry - think of all your internal walls and the inner leaf of cavity walls. Your pva is clearly suitable here - it says so on the container. Is it suitable for use outside? Your shout, but I would not risk it.
    • TuppenceHapenny
    • By TuppenceHapenny 17th May 18, 11:04 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    TuppenceHapenny
    • 17th May 18, 11:04 AM
    • 17th May 18, 11:04 AM
    Thanks for the replies. No, the container doesn't mention waterproofness at all, so I'll assume the PVA isn't suitable and get something different.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

191Posts Today

1,617Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin