Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Urgood75
    • By Urgood75 16th May 18, 8:36 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Urgood75
    Car damaged by a faulty barrier
    • 16th May 18, 8:36 PM
    Car damaged by a faulty barrier 16th May 18 at 8:36 PM
    I parked my car at work in my space next to the entrance barrier and someone came in later in the day the barrier has opened, lifted up and snapped off. Itís caused £550 worth of damage.
    The car park is on another companies premises and the barrier belongs to this company and not the one I work for.
    I have given quotes and pictures to the company that it belongs to but they seem to be stalling saying they are trying to find out whoís liable. Itís been over 3 weeks now. Iíd like to know where legally I would stand if they drag it out much longer

Thanks
Page 1
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 16th May 18, 8:54 PM
    • 613 Posts
    • 397 Thanks
    debtdebt
    • 16th May 18, 8:54 PM
    • 16th May 18, 8:54 PM
    Issue Court proceedings. You have up to 6 years to do it. That!!!8217;s your only legal option.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 17th May 18, 12:11 AM
    • 27,594 Posts
    • 11,173 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 17th May 18, 12:11 AM
    • 17th May 18, 12:11 AM
    Who is liable, depends on how and why the barrier snapped. They dont normally snap for no reason.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Urgood75
    • By Urgood75 17th May 18, 6:11 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Urgood75
    • 17th May 18, 6:11 AM
    • 17th May 18, 6:11 AM
    It looked like itís not been properly maintained. The guy told me it should have something which would stop that very thing happening but in this case not
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 17th May 18, 8:10 PM
    • 27,594 Posts
    • 11,173 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 17th May 18, 8:10 PM
    • 17th May 18, 8:10 PM
    It should have something to stop it snapping off? What guy told you it should have something to stop it snapping?

You still have not explained how it snapped, where it snapped or why you think its a lack of maintenance other than some guy told you?

Or it could be someone clipped it with a car or van and damaged it and thats the person you need to chase?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

• Urgood75
    • By Urgood75 19th May 18, 7:10 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Urgood75
    • 19th May 18, 7:10 PM
    • 19th May 18, 7:10 PM
    I was told by the person dealing with the issue. He works for the company who I believe own the barrier. I wasnít their when it snapped of so didnít see anything. They just told me that it should have a Built in device to stop that sort of thing happening. From what i believe it lifted up and just fell backwards. As I said I donít really know as I wasnít in the area when it happened. I donít think it had been previously damaged but how could it happen if itís meant to have something that would stop it happening
    • Urgood75
    • By Urgood75 19th May 18, 7:13 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Urgood75
    • 19th May 18, 7:13 PM
    • 19th May 18, 7:13 PM
    I guess I might be confusing things when I say it snapped. The barrier is still all in one piece I think something must of snapped when it reached its highest point stopping if from going down normally and going backwards
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 19th May 18, 9:19 PM
    • 27,594 Posts
    • 11,173 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 19th May 18, 9:19 PM
    • 19th May 18, 9:19 PM
    Claim on your own insurance and let them do the work?

Someone could have damaged the barrier so that person would be liable.

Is the person you spoke to qualified on the design issues of the barrier?

• Urgood75
    • By Urgood75 20th May 18, 2:13 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Urgood75
    • 20th May 18, 2:13 PM
    • 20th May 18, 2:13 PM
    Yes I think I should of got my insurance involved from the start
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 20th May 18, 4:37 PM
    • 11,428 Posts
    • 6,540 Thanks
    DUTR
    Yes I think I should of got my insurance involved from the start
    Originally posted by Urgood75
    And with all the rumours, a claim = an increase in the next premium.
    If liability cannot be proven you may just have to take the bite.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,945Posts Today

8,602Users online

Martin's Twitter