Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jojoholt
    • By jojoholt 16th May 18, 8:33 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jojoholt
    Finding land
    • 16th May 18, 8:33 PM
    Finding land 16th May 18 at 8:33 PM
    I'm looking to buy a small plot of land, less than an acre, without planning permission to pop a mobile home on as an art studio but I'm not sure how to go about this/ where to look. All I've found so far is large acreages with planning permission and thus huge pricetags, so any advice would be hugely welcome
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 16th May 18, 8:40 PM
    • 26,031 Posts
    • 70,309 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 16th May 18, 8:40 PM
    • 16th May 18, 8:40 PM
    You'd need planning permission for a mobile home too, you know that?

People don't generally flog off small plots of cheap land without planning permission because there isn't much of a market for land you can't do much with. They'd rstger hang on for the prospect of planning permission and profit.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 16th May 18, 8:42 PM
    • 9,075 Posts
    • 9,662 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 16th May 18, 8:42 PM
    • 16th May 18, 8:42 PM
    Might help if you told us where in the world you're hoping this plot will be.
    • buggy_boy
    • By buggy_boy 16th May 18, 8:51 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    buggy_boy
    • 16th May 18, 8:51 PM
    • 16th May 18, 8:51 PM
    Are you planning to live in the mobile home? if so you cant just buy a plot of land and stick a mobile home on it...
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 16th May 18, 11:00 PM
    • 26,634 Posts
    • 96,027 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 16th May 18, 11:00 PM
    • 16th May 18, 11:00 PM
    Maybe you are confusing what you want to do with the 28 day rule, which allows people to camp or place a caravan on their own land for 28 days in a year.

However, a mobile home is not a caravan and no one's going to swallow the idea that because this is an 'art studio' it's somehow OK. If everyone could do what you propose and get away with it, there would be mobile homes everywhere.

You may remember the mud hut couple who were in the news last year.

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/devon-couple-say-been-bullied-1388229

These people lived near me, but despite building an eco-friendly house on their own land and blending it into the landscape better than a mobile home would ever do, the council still insisted they demolish it.

I can confirm, it's gone.

For background info, in a rural area such as this, pony paddocks around an acre make about 30k+ Rough woodland is a bit cheaper.
    A garden is never so good as it will be next year....
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 17th May 18, 8:34 AM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 1,352 Thanks
    ProDave
    • 17th May 18, 8:34 AM
    • 17th May 18, 8:34 AM
    Move to the far north of Scotland where you can actually get a site with planning permission for a house for about 30K
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,434Posts Today

6,863Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin