Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Swampy3k
    • By Swampy3k 16th May 18, 8:05 PM
    • 178Posts
    • 186Thanks
    Swampy3k
    Credit Cards, Which option is best?
    • 16th May 18, 8:05 PM
    Credit Cards, Which option is best? 16th May 18 at 8:05 PM
    I currently have a few credit cards and on one of which the 0% is about to end which means it'll jump to it's default 19% interest. unfortunately due to circumstances I still have 1800 left on the card and was unable to pay it off before the deal lapses. As my credit rating is not so great I find myself in the pickle of unable to transfer it all to another card.

however, using the MSE credit club what is available to me is some of the 'poor credit scoring' cards.

• Marbles, 5 months 0%, 3% fee.
    • Aqua, 6 months 0%, 3% fee.
    Would I be better to apply for one or both of these cards and try and transfer as much is feasible to pay off within the 5-6 months period. then cancel the card and see what options are available in the future, (potentially even reapply for the same cards) or would doing so harm my credit score more than I would gain from the 2 cards and short interest break?

Answers on a postcard please!

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 16th May 18, 8:08 PM
    • 17,791 Posts
    • 18,905 Thanks
    zx81
    • 16th May 18, 8:08 PM
    • 16th May 18, 8:08 PM
    Your credit score is just a made up number for entertainment purposes only. Like horoscopes. Ignore it.

Do you actually have a poor credit history? What appears on your files?
    What do you earn, what balances and limits do you have?

There may be better options than the sub prime cards.
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 16th May 18, 10:18 PM
    • 3,213 Posts
    • 4,109 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 16th May 18, 10:18 PM
    • 16th May 18, 10:18 PM
    Who are your current providers for your cards? Some are known to be quite generous with existing customer offers. Sometimes it's worth a quick call to ask if you have the available limit.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

543Posts Today

5,769Users online

Martin's Twitter