Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Leemufc
    • By Leemufc 16th May 18, 7:53 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Leemufc
    Mobile worker, travel time
    • 16th May 18, 7:53 PM
    Mobile worker, travel time 16th May 18 at 7:53 PM
    I'm currently working for a social housing company on there repairs and maintenance section as a mobile worker with no fixed place of work, i drive there company van and I'm just wondering if I am classed as being at work by (Law) when when traveling to work and traveling home from work?
    I've read a bit on the European traveling time directive but I'm still unsure, I would appreciate it if anyone could clear this up for me a bit as my work are saying I dont travel far enough
Page 1
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 16th May 18, 10:42 PM
    • 19,194 Posts
    • 19,682 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    • 16th May 18, 10:42 PM
    • 16th May 18, 10:42 PM
    What does your contract say? It may well be written so that head office or your regional office is your notional place of work, in which case only onward travel from there (or travel from home above the mileage from home to your 'base') would be travel time.
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 17th May 18, 9:53 AM
    • 650 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    mac.d
    • 17th May 18, 9:53 AM
    • 17th May 18, 9:53 AM
    When I was field based, we were only classed as 'at work' from your first and last call of the day. Time spent travelling from your home to these first and last calls were commuting, and you were paid to be at your first call of the day at 8am, so just the same as most jobs, its just your place of work wasn't fixed.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 17th May 18, 10:13 AM
    • 6,673 Posts
    • 5,199 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 17th May 18, 10:13 AM
    • 17th May 18, 10:13 AM
    Time spent travelling from your home to these first and last calls were commuting, and you were paid to be at your first call of the day at 8am.
    Originally posted by mac.d
    How did that work if say home to office was 30 minutes, first job is an hour away, did you leave home at the same time or half hour earlier?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
    • Leemufc
    • By Leemufc 17th May 18, 4:03 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Leemufc
    • 17th May 18, 4:03 PM
    • 17th May 18, 4:03 PM
    I too am only classed as being at work from my first job (8am) until finishing time (4.30pm), I try to set off 30mins early to get there (first job) for 8am but the time spent traveling before and after work I'm not classed as being at work, even though I'm driving there company works van etc and am still at there disposal
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 17th May 18, 4:49 PM
    • 3,802 Posts
    • 9,596 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 17th May 18, 4:49 PM
    • 17th May 18, 4:49 PM
    I too am only classed as being at work from my first job (8am) until finishing time (4.30pm), I try to set off 30mins early to get there (first job) for 8am but the time spent traveling before and after work I'm not classed as being at work, even though I'm driving there company works van etc and am still at there disposal
    Originally posted by Leemufc

But you'd have to get to and from work if you worked in an office? I'm just struggling to see why you consider travelling 30minutes to your first call any different.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 17th May 18, 5:21 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 2,517 Thanks
    nicechap
    • 17th May 18, 5:21 PM
    • 17th May 18, 5:21 PM
    When I was field based, we were only classed as 'at work' from your first and last call of the day. Time spent travelling from your home to these first and last calls were commuting, and you were paid to be at your first call of the day at 8am, so just the same as most jobs, its just your place of work wasn't fixed.
    Originally posted by mac.d

That's my understanding of how care assistants work.

How did that work if say home to office was 30 minutes, first job is an hour away, did you leave home at the same time or half hour earlier?
    Originally posted by ohreally

You don't have an office to travel to in the first place, so can't do that sum.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 17th May 18, 5:34 PM
    • 2,100 Posts
    • 2,852 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 17th May 18, 5:34 PM
    • 17th May 18, 5:34 PM
    I am mobile worker with no office and my work day starts as soon as I leave the house and finishes when I get home.
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 17th May 18, 5:51 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 2,517 Thanks
    nicechap
    • 17th May 18, 5:51 PM
    • 17th May 18, 5:51 PM
    I am mobile worker with no office and my work day starts as soon as I leave the house and finishes when I get home.
    Originally posted by comeandgo

How many hours a week do you work? Are you a salaried employee? Or a contractor? Or self employed? Who pays for your fuel?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
    • Leemufc
    • By Leemufc 17th May 18, 7:58 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Leemufc
    I work 37 hours a week and on salary, the company I work for pays for the fuel for the company van
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 17th May 18, 8:03 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 2,517 Thanks
    nicechap
    I work 37 hours a week and on salary, the company I work for pays for the fuel for the company van
    But are you employed the same way, and by the same organisation as comeandgo? Whom I was asking the questions of, or are you an AE?

Originally posted by comeandgo
    • Leemufc
    • By Leemufc 17th May 18, 8:04 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Leemufc
    Because I'm a mobile worker driving a company van with no fixed place of work, imo I should be classed as being at work soon as i start the van up and and finish soon as i turn the van off at home after work,
    Anyone know if there is a set law on this for mobile workers? Cheers
    • Leemufc
    • By Leemufc 17th May 18, 8:07 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Leemufc
    Hi no I don't work for the same firm as comeandgo
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 17th May 18, 8:28 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 2,517 Thanks
    nicechap
    Hi no I don't work for the same firm as comeandgo
    How do you know that?

I’m out as OP has been given advice and doesn t want to listen. So resident dilemma AI/ bot returns.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 17th May 18, 8:54 PM
    • 2,100 Posts
    • 2,852 Thanks
    comeandgo
    How many hours a week do you work? Are you a salaried employee? Or a contractor? Or self employed? Who pays for your fuel?
    Originally posted by nicechap
    I'm a salaried employee, 35 hours , company car, fuel for work set at whateverHMRC sets. I travel thousands of miles a month so most of my time is travel.
    • malky39
    • By malky39 17th May 18, 9:13 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    malky39
    Because I'm a mobile worker driving a company van with no fixed place of work, imo I should be classed as being at work soon as i start the van up and and finish soon as i turn the van off at home after work,
    I am in the same type of employment, my very basis understanding of the European directive was that your van is your office so you need to be in your van and on the way buy you start time. However my company does not work this way and the tell us we have to sign on our computers at a certain time and make best efforts to get to the first job buy our start time. Any time this gets challenged it gets pushed aside, including by the union.
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 17th May 18, 9:47 PM
    • 15,760 Posts
    • 22,420 Thanks
    antrobus
    Yup.

In our October 2015 Employment Law Guide, we also reported on the ECJ case which said that working time for mobile workers must include time spent travelling between home and the first and last job of the day.

https://www.moorepay.co.uk/blog/mobile-workers-getting-minimum-wage/

Two points:-

Working time matters for NMW purposes. So long as the payment being made for those 37 hours exceeds the total for the 42 or whatever hours at NMW including travel time to the first and last job then it's all hunky dory.

I'm not 100% convinced you are a mobile worker. You are employed to carry out repairs and maintenance for a social housing company. Their houses don't move.
    • boundy
    • By boundy 17th May 18, 11:55 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    boundy
    But you'd have to get to and from work if you worked in an office? I'm just struggling to see why you consider travelling 30minutes to your first call any different.
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    Because you can choose how far you live from a fixed point of employment, it's a bit different if your first job is never in the same place 2 days in a row and could be 10-150 miles away.

I'm a Tech covering a large area, my office plan my day from door to door. If the first job is 2 hours away this would only allow 6.5 hours of working day left, including getting home again, to carry out and travel between other jobs.

I realise this may not be the norm and I'm well looked after by my employer in this respect. There is an element of swings and roundabouts though, I cover the Channel Islands, so do need to stay away 1-2 nights a month but don't get paid any overtime.
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 18th May 18, 2:50 PM
    • 650 Posts
    • 523 Thanks
    mac.d
    Originally posted by ohreally
    I was field based, so didn't have an office to travel to. If my first job was 10 minutes away, I left at 7.50am, if my first job was an hour away, I left at 7am. We got paid mileage for travel, but it was just classed as a commute same as any other job apart from that.

Same company but different role we worked a two weeks on/two weeks off rota, and the only time we got paid for travel was at the end of our stint when we finished early as we had to drop the van back off at a depot before going home.

It's been over 5 years since I left that job though, so that ruling regarding mobile workers wasn't in place.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,513Posts Today

8,948Users online

Martin's Twitter