Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mark twain
    • By Mark twain 16th May 18, 7:46 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mark twain
    Private cash sale of boots!
    • 16th May 18, 7:46 PM
    Private cash sale of boots! 16th May 18 at 7:46 PM
    Hi all. Need some advice, just to be sure.

I recently sold a pair of motorbike boots on a facebook group page. There were only worn a handfull of times and described as such ie not brand new. There were no faults with the boots at all.

The buyer, after several messages were i sent further pics etc, came to collect and pay for them, he inspected them and i even doubly inspected them showing all zips and laces were in good working order. He paid his money £150 and went on his way. At no time was any warranty implied or any sort of return agreed upon.

A week later i receive a message saying one of the boots zips has broken and he wants a refund, i explained to him that they worked fine when he picked them up and no faults were noted at all and we even inspected them to be sure as such.

He has now started to get agressive swearing at me through messages and saying if i want to mess him about he will pay me a visit.
    I have called the police to see where i stand. But cant be dealing with the worry of him turning up at my front door one day.
    Am i right in thinking he has no leg to stand on?
    And is there Anything else i can do??
    Sorry for the long post.
    Tia.
Page 1
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 16th May 18, 7:59 PM
    • 12,289 Posts
    • 9,628 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 16th May 18, 7:59 PM
    • 16th May 18, 7:59 PM
    Providing you were selling old personal items and not acting in the course of the business (by obtaining items for the purpose of selling them for example) then its sold as seen - as long as you had the right to sell them and they match their description, theres nothing legally that he can do.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 16th May 18, 8:24 PM
    • 1,180 Posts
    • 804 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 16th May 18, 8:24 PM
    • 16th May 18, 8:24 PM
    Originally posted by Mark twain
    Yes you are. Just block & ignore him.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 16th May 18, 8:36 PM
    • 15,722 Posts
    • 21,596 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 16th May 18, 8:36 PM
    • 16th May 18, 8:36 PM

I recently sold a pair of motorbike boots on a facebook group page. There were only worn a handfull of times and described as such ie not brand new. There were no faults with the boots at all.

The buyer, after several messages were i sent further pics etc, came to collect and pay for them, he inspected them and i even doubly inspected them showing all zips and laces were in good working order. He paid his money £150 and went on his way. At no time was any warranty implied or any sort of return agreed upon.

A week later i receive a message saying one of the boots zips has broken and he wants a refund, i explained to him that they worked fine when he picked them up and no faults were noted at all and we even inspected them to be sure as such.

He has now started to get agressive swearing at me through messages and saying if i want to mess him about he will pay me a visit.
    I have called the police to see where i stand. But cant be dealing with the worry of him turning up at my front door one day.
    Sorry for the long post.
    Tia.
    I would reply politely stating that you have notified the police of his threat.

Then BLOCK him!

He inspected the goods thoroughly and was happy with them. Private sale. No right for refund.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 16th May 18, 8:39 PM
    • 1,364 Posts
    • 930 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 16th May 18, 8:39 PM
    • 16th May 18, 8:39 PM

Sorry for the long post.
    Tia.
    He ain’t got a leg to stand on but if you’re that worried refund him.
    • Mark twain
    • By Mark twain 16th May 18, 8:40 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mark twain
    • 16th May 18, 8:40 PM
    • 16th May 18, 8:40 PM
    To confirm, yes old personal items. And yes there were as described when picked up by the buyer.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 16th May 18, 8:41 PM
    • 1,364 Posts
    • 930 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 16th May 18, 8:41 PM
    • 16th May 18, 8:41 PM
    I would reply politely stating that you have notified the police of his threat.

Then BLOCK him!

He inspected the goods thoroughly and was happy with them. Private sale. No right for refund.
    Originally posted by pinkshoes
    Thing is at best they’ll record a harassment incident and won’t act until he commits a criminal offence.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 16th May 18, 10:18 PM
    • 16,020 Posts
    • 12,080 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 16th May 18, 10:18 PM
    • 16th May 18, 10:18 PM
    If you're going down the police route, it's advisable to tell him " do not contact me again" , do not engage any more only to repeat " do not contact me".
    It makes it easier for the police as many people who are being harassed never actually tell the person directly to cease contact.
    Last edited by hollydays; 16-05-2018 at 10:28 PM.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 16th May 18, 10:31 PM
    • 1,364 Posts
    • 930 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 16th May 18, 10:31 PM
    • 16th May 18, 10:31 PM
    If you're going down the police route, it's advisable to tell him " do not contact me again" , do not engage any more only to repeat " do not contact me".
    It makes it easier for the police as many people who are being harassed never actually tell the person directly to cease contact.
    Originally posted by hollydays
    Not the best harassment advice on the web.
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 16th May 18, 10:38 PM
    • 16,020 Posts
    • 12,080 Thanks
    hollydays
    Not the best harassment advice on the web.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Strange because this is what the police told me when I suffered harassment
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 16th May 18, 11:42 PM
    • 12,289 Posts
    • 9,628 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Hollydays was talking about saying that in response to their contact - not initiating contact herself in order to say it.

It was the advice I was given by the police also when ignoring them wasn't working and things escalated into physical stalking. Getting into tit for tat can let them claim they weren't aware it was unwanted. Likewise for ignoring their messages.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 17-05-2018 at 8:29 AM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

441Posts Today

5,573Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin