Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 16th May 18, 7:17 PM
    • 3,530Posts
    • 3,800Thanks
    cjdavies
    0 WOW
    Hand luggage and toiletries
    • 16th May 18, 7:17 PM
    0 WOW
    Hand luggage and toiletries 16th May 18 at 7:17 PM
    Am I getting this right?

The rules on travelling with restricted liquids

- You must take no more than 100ml of any of these liquids on a flight - shaving foam, toothpaste, spray deodorant, shower gel

- Liquids must be placed into individual 100ml containers - larger containers, even if only partly full, are not usually accepted at security

- All 100ml containers must fit into a clear, plastic bag no bigger than 20cm x 20cm

- 1 bag per passenger.

- The bag has to be able to close and be sealed - overstuffed plastic bags will not be accepted

- The maximum amount of liquid in total that you can carry onto a flight is 1 litre

- Bags must be shown at airport security

https://www.skyscanner.net/news/tips/liquids-in-hand-luggage/
    I can carry 10 individual 100ml of these items on a flight as part of hand luggage?

Can you buy these plastic bags before you travel to the airport - just makes it easier? Any idea where from?
Page 1
    • dondo
    • By dondo 16th May 18, 7:45 PM
    • 490 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    dondo
    • 16th May 18, 7:45 PM
    • 16th May 18, 7:45 PM
    When I have got them in the past have bought them off eBay or used sandwich bags bought at a supermarket
    • elsien
    • By elsien 16th May 18, 7:48 PM
    • 17,127 Posts
    • 43,190 Thanks
    elsien
    • 16th May 18, 7:48 PM
    • 16th May 18, 7:48 PM
    Poundland, B&M etc do them.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 16th May 18, 7:51 PM
    • 2,966 Posts
    • 3,834 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 16th May 18, 7:51 PM
    • 16th May 18, 7:51 PM
    Am I getting this right?

I can carry 10 individual 100ml of these items on a flight as part of hand luggage?
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    Only if you can fit them into a 20x20 cm bag and still seal it
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 16th May 18, 8:08 PM
    • 20,980 Posts
    • 16,757 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 16th May 18, 8:08 PM
    • 16th May 18, 8:08 PM
    If you tell us which airport you're departing from we can tell you if they provide free plastic bags (Birmingham does).
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 16th May 18, 8:35 PM
    • 8,007 Posts
    • 11,771 Thanks
    jackieblack
    • 16th May 18, 8:35 PM
    • 16th May 18, 8:35 PM
    You can take as many containers as you like provided none holds more than 100ml, the total is no more than 1 litre and they all fit into the bag and it can be comfortably closed and sealed without bulging.

I've often taken a dozen or so pairs of disposable contact lenses in mine, that's 24 individual containers before you start to count any other liquids.

I use zip top freezer bags bought in Tesco.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 16th May 18, 9:28 PM
    • 7,387 Posts
    • 50,856 Thanks
    kerri gt
    • 16th May 18, 9:28 PM
    • 16th May 18, 9:28 PM
    Which airport are you flying from? Some provide them free (others charge firm a little vending machine type thing)
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 16th May 18, 9:31 PM
    • 2,371 Posts
    • 3,928 Thanks
    k3lvc
    • 16th May 18, 9:31 PM
    • 16th May 18, 9:31 PM
    You can take as many containers as you like provided none holds more than 100ml, the total is no more than 1 litre and they all fit into the bag and it can be comfortably closed and sealed without bulging.

I've often taken a dozen or so pairs of disposable contact lenses in mine, that's 24 individual containers before you start to count any other liquids.

I use zip top freezer bags bought in Tesco.
    Originally posted by jackieblack

I fly every week with a weeks worth of daily disposable lenses in my hand baggage - never placed them in the liquids bag and never been stopped/checked - my inhaler however seems to be a deadly weapon detectable from a mile away from any scanner
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 17th May 18, 6:51 AM
    • 20,701 Posts
    • 55,657 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 17th May 18, 6:51 AM
    • 17th May 18, 6:51 AM
    Actually, you'd be better reading the rules from the horse's mouth rather than a possibly cobbled-together, paraphrased year-old media article:
    https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions
    At least you'll know you've got the up-to-date information.

If you tell us which airport you're departing from we can tell you if they provide free plastic bags (Birmingham does).
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    So did Manchester last time we flew from there.

If you are flying from MAN, it's worth noting this from their website:
    Please note - if you wish to bring your own containers to hold 100ml or less, the container must have printed on it the measurement that the container can hold. Travel sets of containers that do not have measurements on them will not be allowed through security. Handwritten measurements or stickers are also not acceptable.
    It's the only UK airport that seems to have this particular rule.
    I've decanted various liquids for years into used containers without any problem.
    I've also travelled through MAN with containers without printed measurements on since seeing this notice.
    But you never know.
    • dondo
    • By dondo 17th May 18, 9:23 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    dondo
    East Midlands was doing them free last time we flew from there
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 17th May 18, 10:00 AM
    • 5,822 Posts
    • 8,276 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Free at LGW too. Pick them up just before going through Security.
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 17th May 18, 10:10 AM
    • 750 Posts
    • 897 Thanks
    ibizafan
    I find it quite challenging getting all my liquids into the bag which has to be a certain size at Birmingham (so no using a bigger bag!) if I havenít got hold luggage. I have to take contact lense lotion and what with that and everything else, the bag is crammed. If I have got hold baggage however, itís a breeze as I put everything in there. Places like Sainsburys sell small travel size toiletries which can be useful albeit more expensive. Otherwise, you can always buy stuff in Departures, as long as you donít need to bring back larger size toiletries.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 17th May 18, 10:18 AM
    • 4,003 Posts
    • 10,128 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Heathrow provides free ones as well.

As a matter of interest we bought on the way out a 150ml deodorant post security as we were only taking hand luggage. I thought I would chance bringing it back but it got picked up going through security so just told the guy to bin it.

I'm debating at the moment whether to buy a travel size version (and so can bring it back) or do the same as before and just ditch at the hotel. Thoughts anyone?
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 17th May 18, 10:31 AM
    • 20,701 Posts
    • 55,657 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Heathrow provides free ones as well.

As a matter of interest we bought on the way out a 150ml deodorant post security as we were only taking hand luggage. I thought I would chance bringing it back but it got picked up going through security so just told the guy to bin it.

I'm debating at the moment whether to buy a travel size version (and so can bring it back) or do the same as before and just ditch at the hotel. Thoughts anyone?
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    Quite often travel sized toiletries are not far off the price of normal sized equivalents anyway - so what's the price differential?

How long would the travel size last you once you're home?

Unless it's mega-expensive, fancy stuff I'd buy it air-side on the way out and dump it for the return journey.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 17th May 18, 10:43 AM
    • 32,555 Posts
    • 20,486 Thanks
    DCFC79
    I'm sure it was Southend Airport I was given a bag for free as mine was bulging.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 17th May 18, 10:53 AM
    • 7,387 Posts
    • 50,856 Thanks
    kerri gt

Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    Depends how much you're going to use and if a travel one will last your visit. I've bought a couple of larger items airside before and then ditched them simply because I didn't have room in my clear bags after adding more expensive things (that I certainly wasn't going to be buying / ditching) like foundation in there.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 17th May 18, 2:08 PM
    • 20,980 Posts
    • 16,757 Thanks
    agrinnall
    I find it quite challenging getting all my liquids into the bag which has to be a certain size at Birmingham (so no using a bigger bag!)
    Originally posted by ibizafan
    The bag size is not specific to Birmingham, the rules say the maximum bag size is 1 litre, and that's what they'll give you.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 17th May 18, 8:41 PM
    • 5,229 Posts
    • 3,901 Thanks
    sheramber
    We bough 100 ml bottles on Boots and decanted our usual toiletries into them.

used zip lock bags from Tesco.

No problem at Edinburgh or Manchester.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 23rd May 18, 12:58 PM
    • 4,003 Posts
    • 10,128 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Depends how much you're going to use and if a travel one will last your visit. I've bought a couple of larger items airside before and then ditched them simply because I didn't have room in my clear bags after adding more expensive things (that I certainly wasn't going to be buying / ditching) like foundation in there.
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    Just thought I'd let you know that I found in Asda a 75ml sure deodorant that was only about 20p dearer than the really small travel sizes.

Mentioned it to a friend and he said they also sell these sizes in Tesco and looking on the internet they're the same price as the travel size and also 3 for 2 at the moment so will be stocking up on them.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • phatbear
    • By phatbear 23rd May 18, 2:58 PM
    • 3,527 Posts
    • 3,193 Thanks
    phatbear
    I'm sure it was Southend Airport I was given a bag for free as mine was bulging.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    Yup saífend give them out free!
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,867Posts Today

7,138Users online

Martin's Twitter