Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WattNext
    • By WattNext 16th May 18, 6:57 PM
    • 71Posts
    • 9Thanks
    WattNext
    Bad MOT advice from MSE
    • 16th May 18, 6:57 PM
    Bad MOT advice from MSE 16th May 18 at 6:57 PM
    With MOT rules changing Sunday May 20, 2018 a Cheap Council MOT could prove expensive if a serious fault is found. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-mot#change As pointed out in the start of the piece councils don't generally do repairs so you would need to have your vehicle towed away for repair.
Page 1
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 16th May 18, 7:00 PM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 1,336 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 16th May 18, 7:00 PM
    • 16th May 18, 7:00 PM
    This was always the case. It's just easier to check now.

You would have been also commiting the offence going to the MOT.

If you wait for your MOT to find faults then you probably deserve this.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 16th May 18, 7:01 PM
    • 2,340 Posts
    • 1,429 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 16th May 18, 7:01 PM
    • 16th May 18, 7:01 PM
    Under what powers can they stop you driving?
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 16th May 18, 7:16 PM
    • 3,300 Posts
    • 2,050 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 16th May 18, 7:16 PM
    • 16th May 18, 7:16 PM
    Under what powers can they stop you driving?
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    There are no powers. They can't stop you.
    • EcoR1
    • By EcoR1 16th May 18, 7:17 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    EcoR1
    • 16th May 18, 7:17 PM
    • 16th May 18, 7:17 PM
    Nothing has changed, you can't drive an unroadworthy vehicle on the road. The MOT station however still can't stop you driving one away after a failed MOT. Any remaining MOT is also still valid.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 16th May 18, 7:27 PM
    • 2,340 Posts
    • 1,429 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 16th May 18, 7:27 PM
    • 16th May 18, 7:27 PM
    There are no powers. They can't stop you.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    Exactly, so itís not bad advice then.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 16th May 18, 7:35 PM
    • 13,626 Posts
    • 8,641 Thanks
    arcon5
    • 16th May 18, 7:35 PM
    • 16th May 18, 7:35 PM
    With MOT rules changing Sunday May 20, 2018 a Cheap Council MOT could prove expensive if a serious fault is found. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-mot#change As pointed out in the start of the piece councils don't generally do repairs so you would need to have your vehicle towed away for repair.
    Originally posted by WattNext

Point is not about the repairs but using an impartial tester who doesn't fish for work
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 17th May 18, 3:21 AM
    • 3,549 Posts
    • 2,622 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 17th May 18, 3:21 AM
    • 17th May 18, 3:21 AM
    Point is not about the repairs but using an impartial tester who doesn't fish for work
    Originally posted by arcon5
    You don't have to go to a council test centre to find one of those and anyone who thinks that council MOT examiners are better than others needs their heads testing. They're just as likely to fail things that should have passed and pass things that should have failed as any other MOT tester.
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 17th May 18, 6:06 AM
    • 1,179 Posts
    • 918 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • 17th May 18, 6:06 AM
    • 17th May 18, 6:06 AM
    You don't have to go to a council test centre to find one of those and anyone who thinks that council MOT examiners are better than others needs their heads testing. They're just as likely to fail things that should have passed and pass things that should have failed as any other MOT tester.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    They will fail you inspite as the workers do not like doing private cars.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • marlot
    • By marlot 17th May 18, 7:34 AM
    • 3,605 Posts
    • 2,724 Thanks
    marlot
    You'll only fail the MOT with a 'dangerous' fault for things which are extreme. And you'll have broken the law driving an unroadworthy car to the MOT centre.

The more normal fail category will be 'major' - and the other rules around a fail remain unchanged.

DVLA have confirmed that the garage cannot stop you driving away (even with 'dangerous' faults). Though I guess they could phone the police. And I'd expect your insurer to seek to reclaim any money they pay out if you have an accident on the way back.

DVLA have also confirmed that the previous MOT remains valid until its expiry.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 17th May 18, 7:48 AM
    • 3,300 Posts
    • 2,050 Thanks
    Car 54
    DVLA have confirmed that the garage cannot stop you driving away (even with 'dangerous' faults). Though I guess they could phone the police. And I'd expect your insurer to seek to reclaim any money they pay out if you have an accident on the way back.

DVLA have also confirmed that the previous MOT remains valid until its expiry.
    Originally posted by marlot
    DVSA, Shirley?
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 17th May 18, 7:48 AM
    • 13,626 Posts
    • 8,641 Thanks
    arcon5
    Originally posted by Tarambor

Considering a significant number of stations rely on the work mots generate that's highly unlikely. people go to them for the impartiality which a lot of these stations don't have. And not everybody knows a good genuine local garage. People are very sceptical when it comes to motor repairs for a reason.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 17th May 18, 7:52 AM
    • 11,614 Posts
    • 8,399 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Originally posted by ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    Your evidence for this is...
    • marlot
    • By marlot 17th May 18, 8:13 AM
    • 3,605 Posts
    • 2,724 Thanks
    marlot
    DVSA, Shirley?
    Originally posted by Car 54
    Oops - Yes!!!
    • SteveJW
    • By SteveJW 17th May 18, 10:23 AM
    • 504 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    SteveJW
    Local Authority MOT tests

If I was still on the shop floor, I would much rather be carrying out an MOT on a private car or a taxi test car than working on a 26,000kg refuse collection vehicle

I was on the shop floor at a local authority for over 20 years
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 17th May 18, 11:44 AM
    • 18,376 Posts
    • 16,599 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Your evidence for this is...
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    I don't know about IDGWIAT, but in my case, it's direct personal experience.

It was made VERY clear that they did not want me there, that I was just getting in their way, and that the only reason I was there was because they could not refuse a booking. I left with a long list of trivial jumped-up fails and advisories. The car went in elsewhere the next day and passed. Yes, I could have appealed it, and I was very tempted - but decided I just could not be bothered, and that I was quite happy to take the hint.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 17th May 18, 11:53 AM
    • 6,034 Posts
    • 2,744 Thanks
    LeeUK
    My council actually do repairs as well so the whole using council MOT centres to avoid unnecessary work thing is non-existent.

The best thing to do is use a decent reputable local garage, there are a couple I use and have never had an unexpected fail from them plus general repairs are always reasonably priced.

Then if it's a small repair you can get the garage to do it there and then and issue you your MOT instead of having to go back and forwards between test centre and garage.
    • n217970
    • By n217970 17th May 18, 12:29 PM
    • 333 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    n217970
    I put both of mine (not Vauxhalls) in at a local Vauxhall franchise that do them for £20 a go, they always pass, presumably the garage don't work on anything other then Vauxhalls. The girl on the phone got very confused when I said I was sending a Volvo to be tested there....
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 17th May 18, 7:41 PM
    • 727 Posts
    • 385 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    That's not true. My local council test centre tries very hard to pass cars. For one of our cars they even tried to temporarily plug an exhaust leak to make it pass emissions.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

93Posts Today

1,401Users online

Martin's Twitter