Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • travelhoppers
    • By travelhoppers 16th May 18, 3:39 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 0Thanks
    travelhoppers
    IKEA Billy Bookcase
    • 16th May 18, 3:39 PM
    IKEA Billy Bookcase 16th May 18 at 3:39 PM
    Hello,

I donít know if I have posted this in the right section.

I want to buy 3 Billy Bookcases and two Oxberg doors from IKEA.

Will this fit in to a Volvo hatchback car? I am pregnant so my dad will be doing the lifting. Is this a bit too heavy for him to be lifting solely?

Shall I just fork out the £35 delivery charge? It seems so expensive! I live near the Leeds IKEA.

Thank you!
Page 1
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 16th May 18, 3:55 PM
    • 3,185 Posts
    • 1,863 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 16th May 18, 3:55 PM
    • 16th May 18, 3:55 PM
    If you look on the IKEA website you will find the packaging dimensions and the weight.

IME you can fit a fair amount in a hatchback with the rear seats down.

Only your Dad can be a judge on what he can and can!!!8217;t lift but you may be able to ask for assistance, especially as you are pregnant. Some IKEA boxes can be very heavy though, especially the more expensive and substantial items.
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 16th May 18, 4:02 PM
    • 1,271 Posts
    • 2,167 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 16th May 18, 4:02 PM
    • 16th May 18, 4:02 PM
    We couldn't get the tall Billy bookcases in our Golf but managed okay with an older A-class.

I haul the tall ones up and downstairs on my own as the mood takes me and I'm not exactly muscly, but when they are boxed the weight is in a much smaller area so I think possibly harder to lift. They are quite unwieldly, IIRC, as they're long. I depends on your dad, but I would personally be happier helping him even if I was pregnant... in fact I did when I was expecting. They're not dangerously heavy but they could do with two people to stabilise them as you move them. You can, of course, take them out of the boxes once you've paid for them, so if you can get help putting them on the trolley you can unpack them to get them in the car.
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 17th May 18, 8:15 AM
    • 1,829 Posts
    • 6,703 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    • 17th May 18, 8:15 AM
    • 17th May 18, 8:15 AM
    We know a local lad who meets customers outside Gateshead Ikea and would put them in his van from your trolley then delivers to your home for a reasonable charge. Booking a few customers in advance in quantity makes it viable for him. Maybe you can find some one similar in your area? Obviously check that they are trustworthy and won't clear off with your new items! As an aside, we've brought loads of Ikea items home in a Golf but it's usually the length that's the problem. Check the length from dashboard to back door.
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 17th May 18, 8:25 AM
    • 4,383 Posts
    • 9,985 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 17th May 18, 8:25 AM
    • 17th May 18, 8:25 AM
    If you think about how tall the bookcases you are buying are, then the length of them packed in a box will be a few cm more. Measure the length you can fit in the back of the car and there will be your answer.

The full height Billy bookcases are manageable packed by one adult male, in my experience as an adult male, but the weight is enough to make it hard work for a relative weakling like me!
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 17th May 18, 9:10 AM
    • 25,834 Posts
    • 54,936 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 17th May 18, 9:10 AM
    • 17th May 18, 9:10 AM
    I consider myself to be the connoisseur of Ikea Billy bookcases. Standard length is 202cm and they are flat packed, so with a bit of manoevering I think it's possible. I managed to get a MALM double bed plus wardrobes into my estate for a friend with plenty of room to spare, the key is to take a helper with strong arms but do measure up first. The greater logistical problem can be making sure all the bits are on stock before you make the trip out.

Only use the £35 service as a last resort unless you have the patience of a saint. If you do, you might as well buy anything else you need at the same time and have it delivered in one go.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 18th May 18, 8:12 PM
    • 19,495 Posts
    • 45,208 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 18th May 18, 8:12 PM
    • 18th May 18, 8:12 PM
    Do your front and back seats go flat?

In my Renault Twingo I have had:
    Hemnes bed
    Brimnes day bed
    Brimnes wardrobe
    Bostrak wardrobe

All by putting my back and front passenger seats flat.

If you don't think you can, by going in to store and picking yourself the delivery charge is only £25.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • cddc
    • By cddc 18th May 18, 9:17 PM
    • 1,136 Posts
    • 1,319 Thanks
    cddc
    • 18th May 18, 9:17 PM
    • 18th May 18, 9:17 PM
    I once got three Billy bookcases into a mk1 Fiat Punto so a Volvo V40 should have no issues.
    • mylastpound
    • By mylastpound 18th May 18, 10:37 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    mylastpound
    • 18th May 18, 10:37 PM
    • 18th May 18, 10:37 PM
    I got the billy bookcase in my little Renault clio with the boot shut from ikea. Don't get me wrong I had to push right against my radio in the front, but it fitted in.
    3-6 Emergency Fund, No96: £1,000 / £2,000 - House Deposit: £11,000 / £11,000 - Holiday Fund: £100 / £1,300 -
    June 2018 Grocery Challenge £61.59 / £250
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,549Posts Today

8,848Users online

Martin's Twitter