Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Maximus15
    • By Maximus15 16th May 18, 3:19 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Maximus15
    Buying Leasehold House - Renovations/Extension query
    • 16th May 18, 3:19 PM
    Buying Leasehold House - Renovations/Extension query 16th May 18 at 3:19 PM
    Hi

After some much needed advice as unsure how to proceed!

I recently viewed a leasehold house which has approx 950 years left .

We made an offer of 156,000 which has been accepted, but this house needs major renovation, internal and external and we would hope to put a single story extension on it pretty much straight away, as soon as planning permission was granted really.

My issue is the freeholder. Having to ask them permission for every little alteratiom puts me off as I have no idea the cost of this or what it involved.

Has anyone else built extensions or made major changes to thier leasehold homes? I would like to hear peoples experiences if possible.

Is this going to be a complete nightmare?!

We would hope to buy the freehold eventually , but again, its something I know nothing about in terms of cost/time/possibility.

Much appreciated for any input!
Page 1
    • troffasky
    • By troffasky 16th May 18, 4:51 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    troffasky
    • 16th May 18, 4:51 PM
    • 16th May 18, 4:51 PM
    After two years you have the right to compulsorily purchase the freehold:

https://www.lease-advice.org/advice-guide/houses-qualification-valuation/

Your best guide to how much this is likely to cost will be judgments from the First Tier Tribunal for similar cases near you. In every decision I've read, a long lease with low rent is effectively valued at 0 and "all" you have to pay is the freeholder is their costs [and you have to pay your own, obviously].

I found this guide easier to read than Lease Advice's:

https://www.pglaw.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/A_Short_Guide_to_Enfranchisement_Web.pdf

Before two years, you could try asking the freeholder what their price is?
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 16th May 18, 4:54 PM
    • 7,641 Posts
    • 7,773 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 16th May 18, 4:54 PM
    • 16th May 18, 4:54 PM
    Having to ask them permission for every little alteratiom puts me off as I have no idea the cost of this or what it involved.
    Originally posted by Maximus15
    Have you actually checked the lease to see what you need their consent for?
    • Maximus15
    • By Maximus15 16th May 18, 8:11 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Maximus15
    • 16th May 18, 8:11 PM
    • 16th May 18, 8:11 PM
    I've searched the land registry and I've found out that 3 doors down purchased the freehold in 2013 for 850, which isnt too bad I guess, probably set me back a few grand with fees but worth it in long run.

I've heard conflicting info about the 2 year wait, someone has confirmed what you said, and that I would have to wait 2 year before applying , but another said that only applies to leasehold Flats, houses freeholds can be bought at any stage, confused!
    • G_M
    • By G_M 16th May 18, 8:17 PM
    • 44,056 Posts
    • 52,183 Thanks
    G_M
    • 16th May 18, 8:17 PM
    • 16th May 18, 8:17 PM
    Have you actually checked the lease to see what you need their consent for?
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    .................................................. .............................???
    • Maximus15
    • By Maximus15 16th May 18, 8:20 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Maximus15
    • 16th May 18, 8:20 PM
    • 16th May 18, 8:20 PM
    Trying to obtain a copy! The estate agents don't have one, but assured me my solicitor would receive one in due course.

Few doors away have recently in the last 2 years built a huge 2 story extension on the side and extended out the back - They are leasehold so can't envisage any issues.

Friend recommeded I give them knock and just ask them if they had any hassle but its early doors and I dont know if this is too invasive? Some people are funny!
    • Maximus15
    • By Maximus15 16th May 18, 8:21 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Maximus15
    • 16th May 18, 8:21 PM
    • 16th May 18, 8:21 PM
    .................................................. .............................???
    Originally posted by G_M
    replied below, sorry forgot to quote you in it.
    • troffasky
    • By troffasky 17th May 18, 7:44 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    troffasky
    • 17th May 18, 7:44 AM
    • 17th May 18, 7:44 AM
    I've heard conflicting info about the 2 year wait, someone has confirmed what you said, and that I would have to wait 2 year before applying , but another said that only applies to leasehold Flats, houses freeholds can be bought at any stage, confused!
    Originally posted by Maximus15
    If you want to buy it before two years then you'll be doing it on the freeholder's terms.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,530Posts Today

8,263Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin