Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lucyp57
    • By Lucyp57 16th May 18, 2:27 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Lucyp57
    Charge Notice Received in Private Car Park
    • 16th May 18, 2:27 PM
    Charge Notice Received in Private Car Park 16th May 18 at 2:27 PM
    Hiya

I've received a charge notice for parking over the white lines of a parking space from February 2018. The parking metre was out of order so I didn't pay for parking and once I had seen the sign saying it was out of order and not to worry about paying, I didn't think to read the other terms and conditions of parking in that car park, I don't even remember seeing the T&C sign. Just wondering, can the private parking firm enforce this from so many months ago?? And could I appeal on just that basis or shall I go down the insufficient signage route??
Page 1
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 16th May 18, 2:28 PM
    • 8,887 Posts
    • 9,253 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 16th May 18, 2:28 PM
    • 16th May 18, 2:28 PM
    Please start by reading the Newbies Sticky - it will inform you fully and lay out your next steps.

Which on the face of it look like a pretty straightforward "squat and rotate" response as they have issued the ticket too late to rely on POFA2012 - however we may need more info to make that a certainty. What firm issued the ticket, what kind of car park was it and are there any other issues that might have delayed your receiving the ticket/NTK in time like redirected post/change of adress ..?
    Last edited by pogofish; 16-05-2018 at 2:32 PM.
    • Ralph-y
    • By Ralph-y 16th May 18, 2:31 PM
    • 2,762 Posts
    • 3,489 Thanks
    Ralph-y
    • 16th May 18, 2:31 PM
    • 16th May 18, 2:31 PM
    welcome to the forum ....

a PPC can do what it likes ... there are no real rules ...

you need to have a read through the newbies thread

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4816822

who is the PPC ?

this should give you a taste of the murky world you have stumbled into

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2018-02-02/debates/CC84AF5E-AC6E-4E14-81B1-066E6A892807/Parking(CodeOfPractice)Bill

''Rip-offs from car park Cowboys must stop''; unfair treatment; signage deliberately confusing to ensure a PCN is issued; ''years of abuse by rogue parking companies''; bloodsuckers; ''the current system of regulation is hopeless, like putting Dracula in charge of the blood-bank''; extortionate fines; rogue operators; ''sense of injustice''; unfair charges and notices; wilfully misleading; signage is a deliberate act to deceive or mislead; ''confusing signs are often deliberate, to trap innocent drivers''; unreasonable; a curse; harassing; operating in a disgusting way; appeals service is no guarantee of a fair hearing; loathed; outrageous scam; dodgy practice; outrageous abuse; unscrupulous practices; ''the British Parking Association is as much use as a multi-storey car park in the Gobi desert''; and finally, by way of unanimous conclusion: ''we need to crack down on these rogue companies. They are an absolute disgrace to this country. Ordinary motorists and ordinary residents should not have to put up with this''.

These are the exact words used, so you should quote them to your MP in a complaint and ask him/her to contact Sir Greg Knight MP if he wants further information about this scam.

Ralph
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 17th May 18, 12:42 AM
    • 61,745 Posts
    • 74,656 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 17th May 18, 12:42 AM
    • 17th May 18, 12:42 AM
    Hiya

I've received a charge notice for parking over the white lines of a parking space from February 2018. The parking metre was out of order so I didn't pay for parking and once I had seen the sign saying it was out of order and not to worry about paying, I didn't think to read the other terms and conditions of parking in that car park, I don't even remember seeing the T&C sign. Just wondering, can the private parking firm enforce this from so many months ago?? And could I appeal on just that basis or shall I go down the insufficient signage route??
    Originally posted by Lucyp57
    I'm trying to understand how so many people post without reading (or appearing to read):

NEWBIES PLEASE READ THESE FAQS FIRST (sticky thread up near the top of the forum)

Is it due to accessing the forum on your phone? What else can we do to make sure people read the sticky (at the top) thread first?

Anyway whatever you do, make sure you DO NOT imply who was driving!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,427Posts Today

7,618Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watch and all will be explained. It's about early prep not early celebration. To take the stress out of pre-chris? https://t.co/epBrfX8tli

• Just got on the train to Liverpool, as we're there for tonight's @itvMLshow live Christmas special (8pm ITV). Had? https://t.co/xLxH5N6GL2

• RT @CareQualityComm: While Martin's methodology is different to ours, and the rating terminology, it's interesting that the poll findings t?

• Follow Martin