Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Benj_Mellor1234
    • By Benj_Mellor1234 16th May 18, 12:57 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Benj_Mellor1234
    Monthly car insurance during mortgage offer period
    • 16th May 18, 12:57 PM
    Monthly car insurance during mortgage offer period 16th May 18 at 12:57 PM
    Hi,

My wife & I have exchanged contracts on a new build with approx completion this August. My car insurance renewal is due next week, and due to us saving as much as we can for the house, paying upfront this year is not really an option so was considering paying monthly (paid in full last year so mortgage application wasn't based on me having a DD plan for insurance). I am worried that by doing this, the pay monthly will be classed as finance and may have a negative effect should my proposed lender do a pre-completion credit check. I don't want to do anything that could jeopardize my offer especially as we have exchanged contracts.

Am i worrying for nothing?

Many Thanks
Page 1
    • FTBNow
    • By FTBNow 16th May 18, 1:20 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    FTBNow
    • 16th May 18, 1:20 PM
    • 16th May 18, 1:20 PM
    Worrying for nothing. I pay my car insurance monthly and it wasn't classed as finance: I made space for it in my travel expenses in the mortgage application.
    My goals:
    1 x iPhone finance to pay off by July. Current balance: £628.
    4 x NSD’s per week
    • poppy10
    • By poppy10 16th May 18, 1:45 PM
    • 5,939 Posts
    • 7,184 Thanks
    poppy10
    • 16th May 18, 1:45 PM
    • 16th May 18, 1:45 PM
    It won't be classed as finance. Lots of bills are spread over a twelve month direct debit
    Signature changed by MSE ForumTeam
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 17th May 18, 7:36 AM
    • 9,420 Posts
    • 10,409 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 17th May 18, 7:36 AM
    • 17th May 18, 7:36 AM
    Hi,

My wife & I have exchanged contracts on a new build with approx completion this August. My car insurance renewal is due next week, and due to us saving as much as we can for the house, paying upfront this year is not really an option so was considering paying monthly (paid in full last year so mortgage application wasn't based on me having a DD plan for insurance). I am worried that by doing this, the pay monthly will be classed as finance and may have a negative effect should my proposed lender do a pre-completion credit check. I don't want to do anything that could jeopardize my offer especially as we have exchanged contracts.

Am i worrying for nothing?

Many Thanks
    Originally posted by Benj_Mellor1234
    Not at all. If you are so tight on money that a known (what? £300-£400 )one-off bill is unaffordable, you have over extended yourselves and any unplanned expenses (quite common when you are a home owner) could cause serious issues.
    • TrickyDicky101
    • By TrickyDicky101 17th May 18, 8:50 AM
    • 3,005 Posts
    • 1,943 Thanks
    TrickyDicky101
    • 17th May 18, 8:50 AM
    • 17th May 18, 8:50 AM
    I guess it might be pertinent to know how much the one-off insurance cost is likely to be? Are you talking £'000s rather than £ hundreds?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,749Posts Today

7,655Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin