Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mangog
    • By mangog 16th May 18, 12:52 PM
    • 28Posts
    • 13Thanks
    mangog
    Testing boiler as part of purchase
    • 16th May 18, 12:52 PM
    Testing boiler as part of purchase 16th May 18 at 12:52 PM
    Hi all,

I'm in the process of buying a house and following a home buyers report I decided to have the electrics and boiler looked at too, as they are not covered by the survey. I thought this was a completely normal thing to want to do, but it seems to be causing some confusion with the companies I've contacted for a quote regarding the boiler. One told me they couldn't inspect the boiler because we're not the owners of the house, and another wants a list of all the gas appliances in the house. I'm just asking them to inspect the boiler, and the sellers are taking the gas oven etc with them (which I've told them) so I'm not sure what more I can say.

Am I asking for something silly? I thought this was something lots of buyers arrange in case of any issues that could affect the purchase. I don't want to ask the sellers to do it, that doesn't seem fair - as it's me that wants to know! And it would be arranged at a convenient time via the Estate Agent. Maybe I'm just asking for the wrong thing...?

Thanks!
Page 1
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 16th May 18, 12:58 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 472 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 16th May 18, 12:58 PM
    • 16th May 18, 12:58 PM
    I suspect that the company that asked for a list of appliances possibly intend to quote you for something similar to a gas safety check (cp12) which is the requirement on an annual basis for a rented property,and probably the closest they can do to the inspection you are asking for.

That normally costs in the region of 70 and I would liken it to an MOT type test where it gives a snapshot at a given day.

It by no means is an exhaustive check although it will determine that all gas appliances are in reasonable working order. Presumably you would need to tell them how many radiators the property has as the GSC will establish that those are at least functioning in a basic form too.

It is also similar to the check that someone like BG will offer as part of their annual homecare service.

Opting for a CP12 type check will list each appliance tested that is linked to the gas supply and then also give you recommendations based on the findings again similar to an MOT with advisories and potential faults that could need rectifying.
    Last edited by need an answer; 16-05-2018 at 1:03 PM.
    in S 28 T 20 F 42
    out S 35 T 24 F 32
    2017 -32
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 16th May 18, 1:04 PM
    • 1,664 Posts
    • 2,186 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    • 16th May 18, 1:04 PM
    • 16th May 18, 1:04 PM
    It's not that common a thing to do re the boiler.

It's a standard caveat on all surveys.

If the house is lived in you can assume it's working. There's nothing to say that you get it checked and it won't break the next time the heating is turned on.

Personally I wouldn't bother. If the property is occupied, my offer would have been made taking in to consideration the age of the boiler. And I'd get it serviced once I moved in.
    • mangog
    • By mangog 16th May 18, 1:09 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    mangog
    • 16th May 18, 1:09 PM
    • 16th May 18, 1:09 PM
    Ahhhhh, that makes sense! They didn't ask about radiators specifically but that must be what they mean by gas appliances. Thanks so much!

So it is called a gas safety check then? That's what I've been asking for but I wondered if I was using the wrong phrase. That's reassuring!
    • jonnygee2
    • By jonnygee2 16th May 18, 1:21 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    jonnygee2
    • 16th May 18, 1:21 PM
    • 16th May 18, 1:21 PM
    What exactly do you want to check?

A gas safety check is normally only done for lettings I doubt it would uncover anything that will affect the purchase, which is why it isn't standard practice to get them done. As Rambosmum suggests, I think it's better just to check how old the boiler is - if it's very old budget to have it serviced or replaced.
    • mangog
    • By mangog 16th May 18, 1:24 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    mangog
    • 16th May 18, 1:24 PM
    • 16th May 18, 1:24 PM
    Great, thank you Rambosmum! I've had conflicting advice from people about whether it's worth it or not and I originally wasn't going to bother, as they sellers live there, but then someone I know who recently bought a similar house told me I should. The boiler was installed in 2007, is that old for a boiler?
    • mangog
    • By mangog 16th May 18, 1:29 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    mangog
    • 16th May 18, 1:29 PM
    • 16th May 18, 1:29 PM
    Thanks jonnygee2 - I just thought it was good practice to get the boiler tested for any imminent problems, but it sounds like I've misunderstood! If it's not necessary I'll happily skip it!

Would you say the same for the electrics? We've got a friend who's an electrician and he said he can pop round and test the fuse board etc for 50. Worth it? I really just want to be prepared for any upcoming costs I need to budget for, or if there's something really major, look at negotiating on the sale price.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 16th May 18, 1:31 PM
    • 33,023 Posts
    • 38,591 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 16th May 18, 1:31 PM
    • 16th May 18, 1:31 PM
    10 year old for boiler is average , if a good make then should last for many years assuming parts remain available , depends of if its been maintained . Ask the seller for copies of last annual service ( if it's been on a repair contract then normally it's done every year )
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th May 18, 1:41 PM
    • 62,429 Posts
    • 365,558 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 16th May 18, 1:41 PM
    • 16th May 18, 1:41 PM
    I'll be selling mine later this year - and I plan to have the boiler serviced and probably the electrics checked ... I think it's rude not to either do it, or to offer it as a seller, if it were ever asked about.
    • mangog
    • By mangog 16th May 18, 1:42 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    mangog
    Thanks Browntoa. It was last serviced in 2015 so it's been a little while. We have the paperwork for that and the installation (CORGI certificate). I'll check the make and do some research!
    • mangog
    • By mangog 16th May 18, 1:49 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    mangog
    That's really interesting, thank you PasturesNew. I assumed it was on the buyer to make those sorts of checks. Steep learning curve!
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 16th May 18, 1:51 PM
    • 6,302 Posts
    • 6,165 Thanks
    eddddy
    Regarding the boiler - I think I'd contact a local gas/heating engineer and ask him to service the boiler, and give me a call to let me know what condition it's in. (I'd expect to pay between 60 and 100).

For example...
    - Is it safe!!!
    - Does it seem to be working OK?
    - Does anything look like it'll need replacing soon?
    - If so, what type of cost?
    - How long does that type of boiler tend to last? / How much life is left in it?

(I find that lots of independent heating engineers are really happy to talk at great length and in great detail about a boiler they're servicing - if they can find somebody to listen!)

Hopefully, it will give you a bit of an idea. But if the boiler breaks down the day after you move in, realistically you won't have any claim against the heating engineer.
    • mangog
    • By mangog 16th May 18, 4:15 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    mangog
    Thanks Edddy. That's what I was hoping for. So far of the 3 local engineers I contacted one hasn't replied, one said they won't do it unless the current owners request it, and the third keeps going round in circles - after asking what appliances are in the house he replied to my list by telling me I needed exactly what I'd asked for in the first place (a boiler service), but didn't give a quote, timescale or any information on arranging it (all of which I asked for in my original query) so I'm leaning towards not bothering at all...
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 16th May 18, 4:28 PM
    • 1,150 Posts
    • 804 Thanks
    dunroving
    I got a gas safety check done, 70. As someone else said, it's similar to what's done if you let a property. I was planning to let a room to a lodger anyway, so thought I could get it done and if anything wasn't right (e.g., cooker not working), negotiate a reasonable reduction. An old couple had lived there and passed away and the seller wasn't sure whether appliances worked, etc., so it seemed prudent.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 16th May 18, 5:46 PM
    • 6,302 Posts
    • 6,165 Thanks
    eddddy
    Thanks Edddy. That's what I was hoping for. So far of the 3 local engineers I contacted one hasn't replied, one said they won't do it unless the current owners request it, and the third keeps going round in circles - after asking what appliances are in the house he replied to my list by telling me I needed exactly what I'd asked for in the first place (a boiler service), but didn't give a quote, timescale or any information on arranging it (all of which I asked for in my original query) so I'm leaning towards not bothering at all...
    Originally posted by mangog
    I think you must be confusing them in some way. This kind of stuff has always worked fine for me.

I would just say "Can you do a boiler service in a house I'm buying please? And give me some verbal feedback on the condition of the boiler."

Obviously, you'll need the seller's agreement first. And it might be a bit fiddly finding a time that suits both the engineer and the seller, and finding a way of paying the engineer as you won't be there.

Or maybe you can agree with the seller that you will be there, if you want.
    • mangog
    • By mangog 16th May 18, 6:08 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    mangog
    Thanks Edddy but that's almost exactly what I asked them:

"We're in the process of buying a house, and we were hoping to get an engineer to come out and inspect/service the boiler to check there are no issues with it before we complete the sale. The sellers haven't had it serviced or inspected since 2015 so we just want to make sure there isn't anything imminent that we need them to get sorted!before we go ahead with the purchase."

I think that's quite clear...
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 16th May 18, 6:51 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    PhilE
    Thanks Browntoa. It was last serviced in 2015 so it's been a little while. We have the paperwork for that and the installation (CORGI certificate). I'll check the make and do some research!
    Originally posted by mangog
    It hasn't been serviced for a few years and is 10 years old. You could ask them to give it a a service and reflect that in the price, or do one yourself. Its reasonable considering the gae of the boiler, and the fact that it hasn't been serviced.

House I bought also had a boiler which was about 10 years sold and hadn't been serviced, its working to this day.

They have to declare any issues with the heating/hot water.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 16th May 18, 7:00 PM
    • 2,033 Posts
    • 2,775 Thanks
    comeandgo
    Can you ask the sellers to arrange it and you will pay? I can quite understand the plumbers refusing to go to a house, not owned by you, and doing some work. They have no proof you are looking at buying it, they can't enter a house without the house owners knowledge and permission.
    • mangog
    • By mangog 16th May 18, 10:48 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    mangog
    Hi comeandgo - I see your point, but obviously it would be arranged through the Estate Agent and the vendors would have to let them in as I don't have access to the house yet. I have spoken to the EA and they said they would facilitate it. I'm not suggesting we break in and do work on their boiler without consent!
    • mangog
    • By mangog 16th May 18, 10:55 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    mangog
    Thanks PhilE, that's useful to know. I'm wondering if it would be easier to just have it serviced once we've moved in at this rate, and take the gamble...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

60Posts Today

1,639Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin