Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Peck06
    • By Peck06 16th May 18, 11:51 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Peck06
    Class 2 NI Voluntary contributions, is it worth it?
    • 16th May 18, 11:51 AM
    Class 2 NI Voluntary contributions, is it worth it? 16th May 18 at 11:51 AM
    Apologies if this is in the wrong section but I am just looking for opinions on Class 2 NI payments.

My scenario is that I am employed full time and fully pay my NI contributions via that employment. As an aside I a manage a rental property for a family member which affords me a small income and complete the odd bit of housing maintenance throughout the year for colleagues/friends/family.

My extra income is around 1200 a year which I declare via self-assessment.

My question is should I voluntarily pay Class 2 NI contributions on this extra income and does it affect my state pension positively or negatively if I do or don't pay? (I'm only 30 so won't be retiring for a lot of years yet! I also pay into a employer based pension scheme from my full time employment.)

Cheers
Page 1
    • Dox
    • By Dox 16th May 18, 12:16 PM
    • 1,034 Posts
    • 804 Thanks
    Dox
    • 16th May 18, 12:16 PM
    • 16th May 18, 12:16 PM
    Depends how much you earn from being employed - doesn't sound as if you are eligible to pay voluntary contributions (in which case you don't need to).

Have a look at https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions/who-can-pay-voluntary-contributions
    • Terron
    • By Terron 16th May 18, 12:17 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    Terron
    • 16th May 18, 12:17 PM
    • 16th May 18, 12:17 PM
    There is no point in paying twice.

If you can pay only class 2 they are fantastic value, but they are being abolished next year.
    • Asghar
    • By Asghar 16th May 18, 12:24 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Asghar
    • 16th May 18, 12:24 PM
    • 16th May 18, 12:24 PM
    Apologies if this is in the wrong section but I am just looking for opinions on Class 2 NI payments.

My scenario is that I am employed full time and fully pay my NI contributions via that employment. As an aside I a manage a rental property for a family member which affords me a small income and complete the odd bit of housing maintenance throughout the year for colleagues/friends/family.

My extra income is around 1200 a year which I declare via self-assessment.

My question is should I voluntarily pay Class 2 NI contributions on this extra income and does it affect my state pension positively or negatively if I do or don't pay? (I'm only 30 so won't be retiring for a lot of years yet! I also pay into a employer based pension scheme from my full time employment.)

Cheers
    Originally posted by Peck06

If you paying enough NI contributions through your employment then you should already have a full qualifying year/s for the state pension, say for the tax year April 2017 to April 2018.

Paying Class 2 NI contributions on top of that will be a complete waste and get you nothing extra.
    What made you think of that, it's not a pot of money that you are building up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,995Posts Today

7,998Users online

Martin's Twitter