Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • faborson
    • By faborson 16th May 18, 11:34 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    faborson
    Moorcroft group letter
    • 16th May 18, 11:34 AM
    Moorcroft group letter 16th May 18 at 11:34 AM
    HI
    I am sorry if I a, in the wrong thread
    I just received a letter from moorcroft, and can figure it out what for. tried to call them but no awnser.
    I pay everything by direct debit so not usre whre my debt come from? and where did they get my name and address?
    should I just ignorted it?
Page 1
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 16th May 18, 12:38 PM
    • 8,483 Posts
    • 8,795 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 16th May 18, 12:38 PM
    • 16th May 18, 12:38 PM
    DFW is probably the best place for anything debt-related - and it is where you might well find the most practical advice.

Calling debt collectors is generally a very bad idea as they will invariably just try to browbeat the money out of you, whether you owe it or not - they simply do not care. Moorcroft are one of the worst for this and In an industry of active bottom-feeders, amongst the lowest of the lot.

Sending them a "prove-it" letter is a much better option - More details in various places in DFW. They have to respond and they don't get to mine any more personal data from you (they will try to get all they can if you phone them) and if they don't/can't respond, there there is a very good chance they are just chancing their arm on some ancient and uncollectible or even statute-barred pittance on an old phone contract or similar or even just looking for someone else with a similar name to you.
    Last edited by pogofish; 16-05-2018 at 12:45 PM.
    • jasonmood
    • By jasonmood 16th May 18, 12:43 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jasonmood
    • 16th May 18, 12:43 PM
    • 16th May 18, 12:43 PM
    Did they not state it in the letter?

Either way, you need to speak to them as you dont want to risk a CCJ in the future. It happened to me with an old water bill. The number is 0330 123 9765
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 16th May 18, 12:50 PM
    • 8,483 Posts
    • 8,795 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 16th May 18, 12:50 PM
    • 16th May 18, 12:50 PM
    DO NOT call them - Keep it all on paper/provable from now-on!

Esp if you don't think you owe anything - These vermin really do not care, so long as they get money somehow.
    • maxmycardagain
    • By maxmycardagain 16th May 18, 6:42 PM
    • 4,563 Posts
    • 3,716 Thanks
    maxmycardagain
    • 16th May 18, 6:42 PM
    • 16th May 18, 6:42 PM
    i had Moorcroft, who do they work for?
    Dont worry, be happy
    • philnicandevan
    • By philnicandevan 16th May 18, 6:52 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    philnicandevan
    • 16th May 18, 6:52 PM
    • 16th May 18, 6:52 PM
    Originally posted by maxmycardagain

Various places max...buy up large ammounts of debts for pennies and see what they can get in return
    Not quite a newbie as you think (the member formally known as philnicandamy!)

FINALLY a qualified CAB debt caseworker 2015..
    BSC 58
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 17th May 18, 1:09 PM
    • 8,483 Posts
    • 8,795 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 17th May 18, 1:09 PM
    • 17th May 18, 1:09 PM
    Originally posted by maxmycardagain
    IME they are most associated with various phone companies, notably O2 and they are on the list of collectors used by HMRC to pursue their most intractable debts. And that's as fine a selection of shonky operators as I've ever seen..!

https://www.gov.uk/if-you-dont-pay-your-tax-bill/debt-collection-agencies
    Last edited by pogofish; 17-05-2018 at 1:12 PM.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 17th May 18, 6:07 PM
    • 14,018 Posts
    • 13,276 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 17th May 18, 6:07 PM
    • 17th May 18, 6:07 PM
    Moorcroft do not buy debts any longer.

They only manage accounts for there client banks.

If you dont recognise the debt they are chasing, send the provit letter to them.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,707Posts Today

7,824Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin