Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • markharriers
    • By markharriers 16th May 18, 11:11 AM
    • 195Posts
    • 11Thanks
    markharriers
    Using a credit card abroad
    • 16th May 18, 11:11 AM
    Using a credit card abroad 16th May 18 at 11:11 AM
    Hello every one

Just after some help please.

In June i am gong to the the south of France, i will take some cash with me but i do not want to take lots.

Can anyone recommend/advise me on the use of credit cards that are currently available and have know fees?

Would you advise me to use a know fee credit card or a travel card.

Thank you for any help in advance
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 16th May 18, 11:13 AM
    • 8,730 Posts
    • 9,980 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 16th May 18, 11:13 AM
    • 16th May 18, 11:13 AM
    All you need to know is at https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards
    • jonnygee2
    • By jonnygee2 16th May 18, 2:08 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 524 Thanks
    jonnygee2
    • 16th May 18, 2:08 PM
    • 16th May 18, 2:08 PM
    Would you advise me to use a know fee credit card or a travel card
    It's normally good to have a credit card handy for things like hotel deposits. As these pre-authorise a large amount (which you then can't spend) it can be difficult to run on a debit card.

Otherwise it just depends if you need credit to fund your trip! If you don't, I'd recommend something like Starling, Revolut or Monzo. Instant notifications mean you'll get a much better idea of what you are spending (and what it's costing in !). Actually, I think using one of these and paying by card everywhere is better than taking cash because cash is often lost / stolen, especially when you are a tourist, and you get charge back protection.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 17th May 18, 8:49 AM
    • 6,962 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 17th May 18, 8:49 AM
    • 17th May 18, 8:49 AM
    Suggest you apply for Halifax Clarity. Depending on which end of June you are travelling, you might need to get your skates on.

Bear in mind that you can not depend on any one single piece of plastic. They are more prone to failure than when used at home, through excitable fraud prevention algorithms, network failures. Also, depending on the type of traveller you are, you are more likely to lose it or get it stolen than when at home. So have backups.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

742Posts Today

5,360Users online

Martin's Twitter