Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 16th May 18, 10:58 AM
    • 4,263Posts
    • 5,548Thanks
    westernpromise
    whisky ice cream
    • 16th May 18, 10:58 AM
    whisky ice cream 16th May 18 at 10:58 AM
    I was given a bottle of Aberlour Scotch a while ago, a thing that I will never drink. Has anyone successfully made ice cream with Scotch? Most of the recipes I've found online involve using eggs, which I don't fancy, and the Glenfiddich one says to add neat whisky - but very little of it, presumably because the alcohol would stop it freezing. I'd be surprised if the result tastes of whisky although it looks pretty good otherwise.
    https://www.glenfiddich.com/uk/explore/expert-blog/2016/introducing-whisky-ice-cream/

I'm minded to try warming the Scotch on the hob to evaporate the alcohol. I could then add more of it to enhance the flavour. Has anyone tried this or come across a good recipe? If this works I'm going to go for Calvados or Armagnac flavour ice cream...
    Buying a house, if you believe the market has a way to fall, or if you are paying sill asking prices ( like some sheeple ) or if you are buying in London, is now a massive financial gamble!!!!! - June 8, 2012 by TheCountOfNowhere
Page 1
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 16th May 18, 11:08 AM
    • 2,733 Posts
    • 4,030 Thanks
    gardner1
    • 16th May 18, 11:08 AM
    • 16th May 18, 11:08 AM
    I was given a bottle of Aberlour Scotch a while ago, a thing that I will never drink. Has anyone successfully made ice cream with Scotch? Most of the recipes I've found online involve using eggs, which I don't fancy, and the Glenfiddich one says to add neat whisky - but very little of it, presumably because the alcohol would stop it freezing. I'd be surprised if the result tastes of whisky although it looks pretty good otherwise.
    https://www.glenfiddich.com/uk/explore/expert-blog/2016/introducing-whisky-ice-cream/

I'm minded to try warming the Scotch on the hob to evaporate the alcohol. I could then add more of it to enhance the flavour. Has anyone tried this or come across a good recipe? If this works I'm going to go for Calvados or Armagnac flavour ice cream...
    Originally posted by westernpromise
    seems a waste of a good bottle of malt.....if unopened give it somebody else as a present

edit.......do you want my address
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 16th May 18, 11:09 AM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 5,548 Thanks
    westernpromise
    • 16th May 18, 11:09 AM
    • 16th May 18, 11:09 AM
    It does a good job on the car windscreen in the winter if you run short of screenwash - good dash of Aberlour in the washer bottle and you're away.
    Buying a house, if you believe the market has a way to fall, or if you are paying sill asking prices ( like some sheeple ) or if you are buying in London, is now a massive financial gamble!!!!! - June 8, 2012 by TheCountOfNowhere
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 16th May 18, 11:38 AM
    • 9,091 Posts
    • 9,482 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 16th May 18, 11:38 AM
    • 16th May 18, 11:38 AM
    It does a good job on the car windscreen in the winter if you run short of screenwash - good dash of Aberlour in the washer bottle and you're away.

Spoken like a true Ardbeg drinker..!
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 16th May 18, 11:43 AM
    • 5,464 Posts
    • 9,045 Thanks
    Gavin83
    • 16th May 18, 11:43 AM
    • 16th May 18, 11:43 AM
    Spoken like a true Ardbeg drinker..!
    Originally posted by pogofish
    Ardbeg is one of my favourite brands, only really like the Islay stuff.

Never made whisky ice cream but I did make curry ice cream once. Was delicious! I'd imagine whisky based ice cream might be a challenge but worth a go.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 16th May 18, 11:45 AM
    • 9,091 Posts
    • 9,482 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 16th May 18, 11:45 AM
    • 16th May 18, 11:45 AM
    If this works I'm going to go for Calvados or Armagnac flavour ice cream...
    I have had Brandy ice cream in Germany some years back- it was delicious.

Calvadois sauce on pancakes is similarly good.

Have you considered trying a sorbet with the Whisky? If they can make Gin sorbets, then Whisky must also be suitable - although my only direct experience of drink sorbets was Prosecco, which was pretty nice.
    Last edited by pogofish; 16-05-2018 at 11:49 AM.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 16th May 18, 11:47 AM
    • 2,443 Posts
    • 8,836 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 16th May 18, 11:47 AM
    • 16th May 18, 11:47 AM
    Could you possibly soak some fruit in a good glug of the whisky? Then gently heat the milk/cream up with the soaked fruit in a muslin cloth?
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.

• p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 16th May 18, 12:00 PM
    • 6,486 Posts
    • 7,018 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 16th May 18, 12:00 PM
    • 16th May 18, 12:00 PM
    Could you possibly soak some fruit in a good glug of the whisky? Then gently heat the milk/cream up with the soaked fruit in a muslin cloth?
    Originally posted by Oakdene

Rim and raisin ice cream is pretty standard - you could try something similar but using whisky instead of rum ?

These recipes doesn't use eggs
    http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/rum-and-raisin-ice-cream-98159

https://wholesome-cook.com/2012/12/01/5-ingredients-rum-and-raisin-ice-cream/
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 16th May 18, 1:05 PM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 5,548 Thanks
    westernpromise
    • 16th May 18, 1:05 PM
    • 16th May 18, 1:05 PM
    Thanks.

With rum raisin ice cream, which I have successfully made, it works because the raisins absorb the alcohol. So the ice cream freezes but the raisins don't.

The Glenfiddich recipe contains so little Scotch you might just as well pour a tot over generic vanilla ice cream.

The challenge for me is, how do you make it taste of whisky, but still actually freeze? - which it won't if there's enough whisky in it that you can taste it?
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 16th May 18, 6:39 PM
    • 4,061 Posts
    • 8,022 Thanks
    Murphybear
    I don’t like whisky but I do have a beautiful rose called Glenfiddich. I wonder what rose scented ice cream tastes like
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 16th May 18, 9:54 PM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 5,548 Thanks
    westernpromise
    Rose-flavoured ice cream is fantastic - I made some the other day.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 17th May 18, 4:01 AM
    • 4,061 Posts
    • 8,022 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Rose-flavoured ice cream is fantastic - I made some the other day.
    Did you use rose water or real roses?
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 17th May 18, 7:38 AM
    • 3,217 Posts
    • 8,795 Thanks
    Callie22
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    I've made it in the past with rose water. It's also nice if you mix small chunks of rose-scented Turkish delight in too - especially if it's got a bit of dark chocolate on it

Too much alcohol will stop ice-cream freezing but you could try making the ice-cream and adding a little whisky, and then making a whisky-flavoured caramel and swirling that through. That wouldn't affect the freezing so much but would still give you the flavour. Or making a cranachan flavoured ice-cream (toasted oatmeal, whisky, honey and a raspberry swirl) which I bet would be lovely.
    • newatc
    • By newatc 17th May 18, 8:08 AM
    • 299 Posts
    • 348 Thanks
    newatc
    On holiday in the States recently, I was encouraged to try a dessert with ingredients all of which I enjoy:
    Ice Cream, Beer, Bourbon, Bacon bits.

Never again!
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 18th May 18, 3:24 PM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 5,548 Thanks
    westernpromise
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    Rose extract. The (home devised) recipe was

600ml double cream
    300ml whole milk
    150g caster sugar
    2 teaspoons rose extract

EDIT: This makes 1 litre of ice cream, or just over. Optionally, take 4 to 6 chunks of traditional Turkish delight (where each chunk is about half the length of your thumb), and snip into lentil-sized pieces. It helps to do this in a large bowl with a dessertspoon of icing sugar in it, as this stops the bits from sticking together - the stuff it comes in is good enough. Stir into the ice cream mix just before it goes into the freezer after churning (it will sink to the bottom and stick together otherwise).

The Turkish delight does not freeze, so you won't break your teeth on it.

If you reverse the cream / milk proportions above, you end up with something close in texture to Duchy Originals ice creams.

The issue with using rose water is the flavour isn't very concentrated, so you'd be getting more of a sorbet.
    Last edited by westernpromise; 18-05-2018 at 3:33 PM.
    • westernpromise
    • By westernpromise 18th May 18, 3:27 PM
    • 4,263 Posts
    • 5,548 Thanks
    westernpromise
    I've made it in the past with rose water. It's also nice if you mix small chunks of rose-scented Turkish delight in too - especially if it's got a bit of dark chocolate on it
    Originally posted by Callie22
    I tried that the other day, funnily enough, with traditional Turkish delight. My tip here is to use scissors to snip the Turkish delight very small, and then add it right at the very end for about 15 seconds. I stirred it into the mixture then set the Cuisinart to do its stuff, and what I didn't foresee was that all the little snippets would sink to the bottom and stick together. So I had to do a rush job of unsticking them and stirring them back in.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 18th May 18, 5:52 PM
    • 1,560 Posts
    • 1,538 Thanks
    z1a
    Rim and raisin ice cream is pretty standard - you could try something similar but using whisky instead of rum ?

These recipes doesn't use eggs
    http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/rum-and-raisin-ice-cream-98159

https://wholesome-cook.com/2012/12/01/5-ingredients-rum-and-raisin-ice-cream/
    Originally posted by p00hsticks
    "Rim & raisin" - not too sure about that!
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 18th May 18, 6:56 PM
    • 12,955 Posts
    • 23,984 Thanks
    Sleazy
    "You can have the Ice Cream, I'll take the whisky"
    (P)earl Of The Alphabetty
    Nabob Of None
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

115Posts Today

1,392Users online

Martin's Twitter