Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • suiyat`
    • By suiyat` 16th May 18, 10:54 AM
    • 14Posts
    • 6Thanks
    suiyat`
    Nuisance Neighbours? What can be done
    • 16th May 18, 10:54 AM
    Nuisance Neighbours? What can be done 16th May 18 at 10:54 AM
    Morning all

So my better half and myself have decided to sell up with the intention of moving to a bigger house, and put our house on the market. Its very early days yet, but with the recent viewings we have had, all seems positive about the house but our neighbours have always been brought up for the reason of no offer.

On my new build road (7 yrs) we are close to the affordable housing that was built, and most of which was sold off by the builders to the local housing association.

Most of the tennants are fine, but a select few have seemed to have taken it upon themselves that the end of the cul de sac is their front yard.

This part is used to home their trampoline, their slide, several bikes and scooters, which are left there overnight.
    The parents, sit at the front of their houses in their dressing gowns, smoking, and a viewer commented, drinking (this was at midday).

They have used this are to commune around a fire pit in the evenings, and over November / New Year, used the street for their fireworks.

We have contacted the relevant housing association, who are very blase about it, but wondering if this can be construed as anti social behavior, and it seems to be affecting the sale of our house.

I have no issue with kids playing in the street, and parents keeping an eye on them - we do it - but we take all items back into the house to keep the street tiday.

Anyone else experience this and able to offer some advice?
Page 1
    • quantumlobster
    • By quantumlobster 16th May 18, 10:59 AM
    • 145 Posts
    • 318 Thanks
    quantumlobster
    • 16th May 18, 10:59 AM
    • 16th May 18, 10:59 AM
    Whether it can be construed as anti-social behaviour is beyond my ken, but I'm pretty confident that as you've contacted the HA about it, you'll have to formally declare it on the appropriate form.
    • suiyat`
    • By suiyat` 16th May 18, 11:05 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    suiyat`
    • 16th May 18, 11:05 AM
    • 16th May 18, 11:05 AM
    which form??

thanks
    • quantumlobster
    • By quantumlobster 16th May 18, 11:22 AM
    • 145 Posts
    • 318 Thanks
    quantumlobster
    • 16th May 18, 11:22 AM
    I can't remember offhand the exact name of it, but when you're filling out the stuff about your house, there's a box for "Are you aware of any neighbour disputes or anything that might lead to such" (or words to that effect).

I think you've got to say "yes"
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 16th May 18, 11:22 AM
    • 25,556 Posts
    • 93,544 Thanks
    Davesnave
    which form??

thanks
    Originally posted by suiyat`
    It's called the TA6, available to view here:

https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/support-services/documents/TA6-form-specimen/
    Questions 2.1, 2.2, 3.1 might be relevant.

It sounds to me as if the behaviour is actually very sociable, rather than anti-social, but it might not be the sort of sociable activity all of us would enjoy being close to.

If it's something easily visible to anyone viewing, you might decide to 'forget' what you've said to the HA, especially if it wasn't in writing.
    Last edited by Davesnave; 16-05-2018 at 11:25 AM. Reason: grammar
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it. More changes on the way?
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
    • suiyat`
    • By suiyat` 16th May 18, 12:03 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    suiyat`
    • 16th May 18, 12:03 PM
    • 16th May 18, 12:03 PM
    Thanks for the feedback all.

Understand it will be seen as sociable behaviour - but the concern is that stuff is left out in the street all the time, bringing down the appeal.

When a viewer knocks on the door and says 'its not a good start is it, your neighbours drinking at midday on the street' kind of worries me as a seller.

At the moment, there is no official dispute - just an anonymous call to the HA to ask if they are in breach of their tenancy agreement.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th May 18, 12:14 PM
    • 63,209 Posts
    • 370,192 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 16th May 18, 12:14 PM
    • 16th May 18, 12:14 PM
    The trouble is, they're on public land, over which you have no control - and those who might have some control have decided not to pursue it.

Your nuisance is somebody's bonus... if they are "of the sort" too.

It will reduce your pool of potential buyers, that's a fact, but you can't do anything about it (except move, which you're doing) - because you can't make them change, they won't change on their own - and there's nobody that will make them change (if they even possess the powers).

Just be glad the day you do find a buyer ... some call their behaviour "community" ... and maybe somebody who sees that as "community" will be viewing it later this week!

Re the buyers that knock on the door and say "that's not a good start" - to be honest, I'd have driven off and informed the agent I wasn't going to bother viewing
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 16th May 18, 12:42 PM
    • 10,711 Posts
    • 14,063 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 16th May 18, 12:42 PM
    • 16th May 18, 12:42 PM
    Pray for rain!

At least, keep a close eye on the weather forecast and book viewings for when it's looking to be at its worst.

I remember being with my first husband's family one very sunny day, all sitting outside the front of their house on deckchairs with knotted hankies on their heads, trousers rolled up, and cans of lager lined up, music playing. They had a lovely time, but it might not have looked great for anyone viewing a house up the road...

Judgemental really as they're often far nicer and more welcoming than the snobbier neighbours - I used to walk past social housing on my way home when I lived on a modern estate. They were always doing things outside the front of their houses. The kids were always outdoors and they all seemed to know each other. Always having a laugh and looked happy. Whereas in my street, nobody set foot outside and I'd not have a clue what my next-door-but-one neighbour looked like. You could hear a pin drop. Nobody ever seemed to come out of their properties.

All sounds very stereotypical lol - but that is often how it is!

A happy medium would be good!
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • mrsjanebanbury2009
    • By mrsjanebanbury2009 16th May 18, 1:21 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    mrsjanebanbury2009
    • 16th May 18, 1:21 PM
    • 16th May 18, 1:21 PM
    Drinking at midday.... disgraceful! ;-) :-) Was the sun over the yardarm?
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 16th May 18, 2:38 PM
    • 16,156 Posts
    • 44,485 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Maybe the land in front of their houses is down on the title plan of those houses as belonging to them?

Have you bought the title plans of those houses from the Land Registry?

If the houses (ie the HA concerned) own that land - the residents of those houses have sole use in whichever reasonable way they please. "Reasonable" meaning objectively speaking "reasonable" and not someone's subjective opinion as to what is or isnt reasonable.

If the houses don't own that land - then that's different and there may be "room for manoeuvre".

As for "dressing gowns/smoking/drinking" - then that definitely is no-one else's business but theirs (even though I wouldnt like it either).
    • hunnie
    • By hunnie 16th May 18, 3:58 PM
    • 174 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    hunnie
    As you are looking for a bigger house, could you find another new build estate and part exchange?
    This would avoid the need for you to sell it yourselves.
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 16th May 18, 4:06 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 4,726 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    I think you're going to have to sell in the cold weather. I know this will impact your pool of buyers and the price achieved but these neighbours will deter and devalue your home anyway.
    • suiyat`
    • By suiyat` 17th May 18, 9:26 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    suiyat`
    @ Hunnie

Looked at part ex, but wont get enough from the builders in order to get a favorable mortgage.

Viewing this morning. Fingers crossed
    • EmmyLou30
    • By EmmyLou30 17th May 18, 1:27 PM
    • 426 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    EmmyLou30
    And then people wonder why being next to the affordable housing might be a bad thing!? This is why. Stereotypical it might be, but stereotypes come from experience of said behaviour. I hope you manage to sell to someone who doesn't mind but I think you're going to struggle unfortunately.
    • Sandgrownun
    • By Sandgrownun 17th May 18, 2:26 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Sandgrownun
    Fireworks? Fire pits? Midday drinking and kids playing? All sounds like my cup of tea so it wouldn't put me off. But then I'm probably not the sort of person who would buy a fancy new build on an estate either which is perhaps the problem for the OP !!!128516;!!!128516;
    • victoriavictorious
    • By victoriavictorious 17th May 18, 3:17 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 509 Thanks
    victoriavictorious
    Selling to a 'buy to let' buyer / landlord would be ideal, as they won't care a jot about the neighbourly social scene. You may find you need to reduce the price to attract one though.
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 19th May 18, 10:33 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    PhilE
    Selling to a 'buy to let' buyer / landlord would be ideal, as they won't care a jot about the neighbourly social scene. You may find you need to reduce the price to attract one though.
    Originally posted by victoriavictorious
    They would care unfortunately, as tenants would be put off by bad neighbors.
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 19th May 18, 10:38 PM
    • 2,490 Posts
    • 3,773 Thanks
    gardner1
    Ah the joys of new build estates........who's stupid idea was it that all new estates must include a mix of social housing
    If I'm spending an arm and a leg on a new house I don't want to be living near Mr & Mrs raggyarse their 6 kids and 2 dogs who bark all day
    • rosie51
    • By rosie51 19th May 18, 11:09 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 1,033 Thanks
    rosie51
    Do not class everyone who lives in social housing, as the same we are not. Not everyone can afford the high cost of buying a house.
    No money, no worry. I am alive and that is all that matters

2018 Makes
    16/50
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 19th May 18, 11:38 PM
    • 5,477 Posts
    • 7,673 Thanks
    deannatrois
    There might be the odd example of this sort of behaviour in social housing areas, but its definitely not the norm. I haven't seen it on council estates and I've lived in some rough areas.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,226Posts Today

7,452Users online

Martin's Twitter