Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • andymandy92
    • By andymandy92 16th May 18, 9:52 AM
    • 19Posts
    • 19Thanks
    andymandy92
    Asda Delivery....how does it work?
    • 16th May 18, 9:52 AM
    Asda Delivery....how does it work? 16th May 18 at 9:52 AM
    Hi I have just had surgery and can't lift anything heavy or above my head so I will be doing a home delivery from Asda. When they deliver food will I have to pick the food/bags out of the tray or will they do that for me?
Page 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 16th May 18, 9:57 AM
    • 64,176 Posts
    • 376,684 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 16th May 18, 9:57 AM
    • 16th May 18, 9:57 AM
    I tried one of these for my old mum - then I was at her house when it arrived so I could "observe but not help", to see if she could cope with a random man turning up with shopping - and do the right thing.

The man came to the door, rang the bell. Upon opening the door he'd hand the bags over, or, realising that they weren't being "taken from him" would put them down in the porchway. He wanted a signature and was gone.

For my purposes, I realised that mum had no idea what to do at all .... and wouldn't have had the brains to put frozen stuff into the freezer and cold stuff into the fridge... it'd have just been left on the hallway floor, maybe some emptied out and spread around ....

I guess if you could tell him what you wanted him to do then he'd do it... so long as it didn't involve him coming into your house further than the door - but to "line the bags up there by my hallway door, so I can still get the door shut" would be fine.
    • alanq
    • By alanq 16th May 18, 11:52 AM
    • 4,049 Posts
    • 2,635 Thanks
    alanq
    • 16th May 18, 11:52 AM
    • 16th May 18, 11:52 AM
    If you opt for a bagless delivery then you (perhaps with the driver's assistance) will have to move the items individually from the trays into your own containers.

If you do not opt for bagless delivery you will be handed the bags and be charged 40p per delivery.

According to this article (from 2015) Ocado and Morrisons will take goods into the kitchen if required.
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/may/02/online-shopping-supermarkets-home-delivery
    Last edited by alanq; 16-05-2018 at 12:35 PM.
    • LavenderBee
    • By LavenderBee 16th May 18, 5:15 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    LavenderBee
    • 16th May 18, 5:15 PM
    • 16th May 18, 5:15 PM
    Just to add to the above - I've recently been using Asda and going for bagless delivery to save 40p. I'm having shopping delivered because I'm very pregnant and have too much back pain to waddle round shops now (I'm also sick of people slamming into me...). If you go bagless you will need to bend down and pick everything out individually - so probably best to go for bags. I last used Ocado last year and it comes in pre-organised bags (i.e. fridge, freezer, food cupboard) and they will take it to a room of your choice. You can then give the bags back next time and get reimbursed. However - it does mean paying Ocado prices!
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 16th May 18, 5:25 PM
    • 22,847 Posts
    • 57,338 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 16th May 18, 5:25 PM
    • 16th May 18, 5:25 PM
    Different companies have different policies (and every different staff), is it an Asda that you have local?

For comparison, our Tesco delivery men will bring the crates all the way through to the kitchen, and then help unload the contents onto the worktop (they could do it all, but we do it between us).
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 17th May 18, 6:18 AM
    • 13,275 Posts
    • 41,916 Thanks
    sarah1972
    • 17th May 18, 6:18 AM
    • 17th May 18, 6:18 AM
    I think it depends from area to area and driver to driver.

In my experience,

Asda and Sainsbury’s just put the crates down and I have to take the bags out and restack the crates.

Tesco just put the crates down and I have to take the bags out and the driver re stacks the crates.

Ocado hand you the bags nicely but if you have a bad back, whoever you use, you will still be handling the bags which could be heavy for you.

None of the above will come through my front door and each one has told me that they are not allowed to for insurance purposes as the companies won’t cover them if they drop something or damage anything.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • alanq
    • By alanq 17th May 18, 11:40 AM
    • 4,049 Posts
    • 2,635 Thanks
    alanq
    • 17th May 18, 11:40 AM
    • 17th May 18, 11:40 AM
    I think it depends from area to area and driver to driver.

In my experience (I do not wish driver to enter house):

Asda and Sainsbury!!!8217;s just put the crates down and I have to take the bags out and restack the crates.

Tesco just put the crates down and I have to take the bags out and the driver re stacks the crates.

Ocado hand you the bags nicely but if you have a bad back, whoever you use, you will still be handling the bags which could be heavy for you.

None of the above will come through my front door and each one has told me that they are not allowed to for insurance purposes as the companies won!!!8217;t cover them if they drop something or damage anything.
    Originally posted by sarah1972
    As you say my experience is different. I don't want drivers entering my home so...
    ASDA (with bags) / Sainsbury / Tesco / Ocado take bags from crates and hand them over.

ASDA (without bags) Driver stacks crates and I move items into my own bags. Sometimes driver gets me to hold bags open while he puts items in. Sometimes driver holds crate up for me to move items. The only times that I have had to move empty crates were if driver had returned to van to fetch further crates. To save driver lifting and me bending low I now put out a step-stool and driver lifts crates onto that.

From ASDA's web site: "Bag-less option - The bag-less option allows You to receive or collect Your shopping conveniently in crates instead of single-use carrier bags. For home delivery, the driver will help You unpack Your order at the doorstep, or allow You to take the crate into Your home and wait while You unload Your shopping. The driver will then take the crates back when You have finished."
    https://groceries.asda.com/terms_and_conditions

I cannot see anything in its Ts&Cs on the subject, but unless there has been a change of policy in the last couple of years, Ocado will carry bags into the house. See the article referred to in my previous post and Ocado's own video.
    https://youtu.be/myvQEPKF9H4

From Ocado's web site:
    "Have your Ocado shopping delivered straight to your kitchen table in a one-hour slot. "
    https://www.ocado.com/content/miscellany/html/slp/?fromLoggedOutHome=yes&fromLoggedOutHome=yes
    Last edited by alanq; 17-05-2018 at 1:54 PM.
    • sheep-ali
    • By sheep-ali 17th May 18, 12:09 PM
    • 559 Posts
    • 600 Thanks
    sheep-ali
    • 17th May 18, 12:09 PM
    • 17th May 18, 12:09 PM
    In my experience, both Tesco and Asda drivers bring the crates into the kitchen and empty them on to any available surface.
    • flyingbug
    • By flyingbug 17th May 18, 7:01 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 2,705 Thanks
    flyingbug
    • 17th May 18, 7:01 PM
    • 17th May 18, 7:01 PM
    My mum is 94 yrs has a Tesco Delivery once a month and her shopping is always taken into her kitchen .Delivery man will also put frozen into her freezer .She has the bag less option .Well Done Tesco
    To create more positive results in your life,replace
    'IF ONLY' with next time
    • Simon Purves
    • By Simon Purves 2nd Sep 18, 11:06 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Simon Purves
    From an ASDA delivery driver:
    - Check the ASDA website for Ts&Cs (I'd post a link but I'm not permitted to do that) - see 3.6 in particular;
    - in my experience ASDA drivers will try to be helpful
    BUT, I'm afraid:
    - we're not well paid;
    - in general we're not well treated by our employer;
    - carrying heaving loads up stairs is a no-no.
    • alanq
    • By alanq 7th Sep 18, 12:17 AM
    • 4,049 Posts
    • 2,635 Thanks
    alanq
    - Check the ASDA website for Ts&Cs (I'd post a link but I'm not permitted to do that) - see 3.6 in particular;
    Originally posted by Simon Purves

Allow me https://groceries.asda.com/terms-and-conditions
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

179Posts Today

1,443Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin