Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • surreyman44316
    • By surreyman44316 16th May 18, 9:12 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Working tax credit change
    • #1
    • 16th May 18, 9:12 AM
    Working tax credit change 16th May 18 at 9:12 AM
    Hi all, after a bit of advice please

    My partner who I don't live with, only at weekends is letting her son's GF stay while she is back from Uni, but she has 2 parental homes within 5 miles she can stay at so I am not happy about this arrangement and I am very worried how this might be viewed as she has a part time job, pays nothing...yes I know that's my fault, but what would the Benefits office say if they found out about this?

    My partner is a TA and only earns approx 10k per annum, gets WTC and I think another benefit but not sure what

    I am scared that if she is reported they will stop her allowance when I think the GF should be charged at least 50 per week rent, but then that would have to be declared?

    Thanks in advance for any help
Page 1
    • Topcat1982
    • By Topcat1982 16th May 18, 11:51 AM
    • 385 Posts
    • 419 Thanks
    • #2
    • 16th May 18, 11:51 AM
    • #2
    • 16th May 18, 11:51 AM
    You need to find out exactly what your partner is claiming - and her son if he is claiming anything in his own right.

    Regarding your partner's WTC - the girl living there is irrelevant.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 16th May 18, 2:37 PM
    • 17,728 Posts
    • 31,353 Thanks
    • #3
    • 16th May 18, 2:37 PM
    • #3
    • 16th May 18, 2:37 PM
    Just to be clear, you mean that the gf is going to be staying there during the university holidays? Or that she's moving in permanently after finishing uni?

    Presumably the son already lives there?

    You'll also need to find out exactly what benefits she's on so that people can give accurate advice.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 16th May 18, 2:55 PM
    • 5,372 Posts
    • 3,495 Thanks
    • #4
    • 16th May 18, 2:55 PM
    • #4
    • 16th May 18, 2:55 PM
    Are you living with your partner at weekends or the girl?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,028Posts Today

8,727Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Right back to self imposed twitter exile until Thur - trying to be off work (not v successfully)

  • Too painful to talk about. That result really was offsensive. For rancid cheese & onion to beat powerful salt & v?

  • If you think this hypothetical's bad, here's some of my past polls - Which past PM would u resurrect to aid politi?

  • Follow Martin