Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tiexen
    • By Tiexen 16th May 18, 8:35 AM
    • 545Posts
    • 267Thanks
    Tiexen
    MOT fail - repair cost
    • 16th May 18, 8:35 AM
    MOT fail - repair cost 16th May 18 at 8:35 AM
    • Front Exhaust system not adequately supported at flexy (7.1.1)
    • Offside Rear Tyre has a tear, caused by separation or partial failure of its structure on inner wall (4.1.D.1b) Dangerous
    • Nearside Rear Tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm (4.1.E.1)
    • Nearside Brake pipe excessively corroded main (3.6.B.2c)
    • Offside Brake pipe excessively corroded main (3.6.B.2c)
    • Offside Front Track rod end ball joint has excessive play (2.2.B.1f) Dangerous
    • Nearside Rear Tie bar/rod attachment bracket/mounting insecure pin broken (2.4.G.1)
    • Nearside Outer Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings sill (6.1.B.2)
    2002 Focus failed MOT - scrap/repair?
Page 1
    • facade
    • By facade 16th May 18, 8:38 AM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 1,808 Thanks
    facade
    • 16th May 18, 8:38 AM
    • 16th May 18, 8:38 AM
    Repair if the engine, bodywork and interior are good.

Focus is well known for sill corrosion at the rear, quite few have been welded by now, easy enough job if you can find a welder.

The rest are pretty much consumables.

Get a quote from a local garage.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • n217970
    • By n217970 16th May 18, 8:39 AM
    • 333 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    n217970
    • 16th May 18, 8:39 AM
    • 16th May 18, 8:39 AM
    • Offside Rear Tyre has a tear, caused by separation or partial failure of its structure on inner wall (4.1.D.1b) Dangerous
    • Offside Front Track rod end ball joint has excessive play (2.2.B.1f) Dangerous
    • Nearside Rear Tie bar/rod attachment bracket/mounting insecure pin broken (2.4.G.1)
    • Nearside Outer Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings sill (6.1.B.2)
    Originally posted by Tiexen
    Scrap it, mainly because of this

Nearside Outer Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings sill (6.1.B.2)
    • mro
    • By mro 16th May 18, 12:31 PM
    • 717 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    mro
    • 16th May 18, 12:31 PM
    • 16th May 18, 12:31 PM
    Have you used this MOT garage before ?

MOT fails usually look worse than they are.

Body chassis corrosion could mean anything, could be simple weld job.

You should get quote from this garage and another.
    • caprikid1
    • By caprikid1 16th May 18, 12:39 PM
    • 655 Posts
    • 641 Thanks
    caprikid1
    • 16th May 18, 12:39 PM
    • 16th May 18, 12:39 PM
    " Body chassis corrosion could mean anything, could be simple weld job."

I would not treat any WELD JOB as simple. Even if you can find someone to do it.
    • Tiexen
    • By Tiexen 16th May 18, 1:11 PM
    • 545 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    Tiexen
    • 16th May 18, 1:11 PM
    • 16th May 18, 1:11 PM
    In fact its been repaired(!) and passed MOT a week later (not my car) - I was just wondering if that sounded right?
    • facade
    • By facade 16th May 18, 1:14 PM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 1,808 Thanks
    facade
    • 16th May 18, 1:14 PM
    • 16th May 18, 1:14 PM

I would not treat any WELD JOB as simple. Even if you can find someone to do it.
    Originally posted by caprikid1

Why not? Most steel things are welded.

Corrosion on the outside rear nearside sill on a Focus is very common, you'd be hard pushed to find a welder who hadn't done a couple before. Should last 2 years or more easily once done.

If the inner has gone as well it is still fixable, but the cost will determine whether to bother or not.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

• Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 16th May 18, 1:15 PM
    • 3,556 Posts
    • 2,624 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 16th May 18, 1:15 PM
    • 16th May 18, 1:15 PM
    Yes, sounds perfectly OK for a car with that or even worse to pass a MOT within a week. All of that lot could have been taken care of the same day if the test was in the morning. Literally no more than a few hours labour.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 16th May 18, 1:17 PM
    • 3,556 Posts
    • 2,624 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 16th May 18, 1:17 PM
    • 16th May 18, 1:17 PM
    I guess you don't weld. Also find it quite funny given your username. If you have a Capri then there's a very very high likelihood its been welded at some point in its life. I've owned a few myself and A post, inner wing around the struts, rear spring hangers are the usual culprits on a Capri.
    • mro
    • By mro 16th May 18, 1:36 PM
    • 717 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    mro

Why, often they are.
    • mro
    • By mro 16th May 18, 1:38 PM
    • 717 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    mro
    In fact its been repaired(!) and passed MOT a week later (not my car) - I was just wondering if that sounded right?
    If what sounded right, you haven't told us what happened, if straightforward, how much was paid ?

Only someone looking at job knows.
    • caprikid1
    • By caprikid1 16th May 18, 2:09 PM
    • 655 Posts
    • 641 Thanks
    caprikid1
    I guess you don't weld. Also find it quite funny given your username. If you have a Capri then there's a very very high likelihood its been welded at some point in its life. I've owned a few myself and A post, inner wing around the struts, rear spring hangers are the usual culprits on a Capri.
    Originally posted by Tarambor

I also have a Classic Rover Mini !!!

All I am saying is that often rust is far worse than expected. As discussed in another thread it's easy to set the car on fire etc.

It is getting harder and harder to find people to weld and often large amounts have to be removed to do it safely and often a second person is needed. Many garages just will not weld any more as their insurance does not cover it / they chose not to cover it.
    • Tiexen
    • By Tiexen 16th May 18, 2:19 PM
    • 545 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    Tiexen
    If what sounded right, you haven't told us what happened, if straightforward, how much was paid ?

Only someone looking at job knows.
    Originally posted by mro
    I don't know what happened, I just wondered if a car worth £750 was worth the effort of all those repairs
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 16th May 18, 3:18 PM
    • 10,356 Posts
    • 7,759 Thanks
    GunJack
    2x partworn tyres = £60
    2x brakepipes = £70-100
    ball joint = £40
    broken pin = £40
    exhaust bracket = £negligible

so £240 plus welding, so say up to £340 all-in, if the car's in good nick and reliable, probably worth it for at least another year
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 16th May 18, 3:22 PM
    • 10,356 Posts
    • 7,759 Thanks
    GunJack
    I don't know what happened, I just wondered if a car worth £750 was worth the effort of all those repairs
    the thing is, it's not just the "value" of the car when you're talking sub-£1000 motors. With no MoT it would only be worth scrap value (£100-ish depending on locality), and if it's in good nick and reliable what I said above makes it cheap to do and get another year (or more) out of it...gotta love Bangernomics
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 17th May 18, 3:28 AM
    • 3,556 Posts
    • 2,624 Thanks
    Tarambor
    All I am saying is that often rust is far worse than expected. As discussed in another thread it's easy to set the car on fire etc.

It is getting harder and harder to find people to weld and often large amounts have to be removed to do it safely and often a second person is needed. Many garages just will not weld any more as their insurance does not cover it / they chose not to cover it.
    You're preaching to the choir. This was my last Capri I restored.

• caprikid1
    • By caprikid1 17th May 18, 9:16 AM
    • 655 Posts
    • 641 Thanks
    caprikid1
    Link did not work
    • mro
    • By mro 17th May 18, 6:06 PM
    • 717 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    mro
    It might seem a lot, it all depends, but can be better the car you know than buying another 2nd hand car you don't know.
    • facade
    • By facade 17th May 18, 6:34 PM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 1,808 Thanks
    facade
    If it is the selling garage doing the work, only a few pounds in actual costs, for the track rod end and a couple of part-worns, if they don't have some already.
    The labour will be done by the resident mechanic in between paying jobs.

If you did it yourself, £30 might cover it.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,736Posts Today

7,299Users online

Martin's Twitter