Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lesbro
    • By lesbro 16th May 18, 8:32 AM
    • 40Posts
    • 37Thanks
    lesbro
    Virgin Media privacy
    • 16th May 18, 8:32 AM
    Virgin Media privacy 16th May 18 at 8:32 AM
    I have received an email from Virgin Media[supposedly] asking me to update my direct debit details. The heading included the addresses of approximately 250 other users with ntl.co.uk. I now have all their addresses and could contact them. This is privacy?
Page 1
    • Tiexen
    • By Tiexen 16th May 18, 8:37 AM
    • 531 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    Tiexen
    • 16th May 18, 8:37 AM
    • 16th May 18, 8:37 AM
    Don't click on any "links" in an e-mail that ask for banking details
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 16th May 18, 9:24 AM
    • 278 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    bigisi
    • 16th May 18, 9:24 AM
    • 16th May 18, 9:24 AM
    I have received an email from Virgin Media[supposedly] asking me to update my direct debit details. The heading included the addresses of approximately 250 other users with ntl.co.uk. I now have all their addresses and could contact them. This is privacy?
    Originally posted by lesbro
    What on earth does "This is privacy" mean?
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 16th May 18, 9:38 AM
    • 6,109 Posts
    • 13,014 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 16th May 18, 9:38 AM
    • 16th May 18, 9:38 AM
    Originally posted by lesbro
    1. This isn't VirginMedia.

2. This is a scam

3. I can email anyone I want by making up details, an email address alone isn't useful. All you know is those emails are all on the spam mailing list. You don't know any personal info.

4. This has very little to do with 'privacy'
    • Geodark
    • By Geodark 16th May 18, 12:35 PM
    • 813 Posts
    • 527 Thanks
    Geodark
    • 16th May 18, 12:35 PM
    • 16th May 18, 12:35 PM
    Please tell me you haven't clicked on any link in that email and filled in your bank details...
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 16th May 18, 2:10 PM
    • 20,492 Posts
    • 16,283 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 16th May 18, 2:10 PM
    • 16th May 18, 2:10 PM
    Without knowing more about the email and the address it came from it's premature to say it's not from VM.

OP, were you originally a NTL customer? What reason has been given for asking you to update your DD?

If it is actually from VM then you could make a complaint either to them or to the ICO about the visibility of other email addresses.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,909Posts Today

6,952Users online

Martin's Twitter