Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Milain
    • By Milain 16th May 18, 8:23 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Milain
    Santander bank cheque not valid in USA???
    • 16th May 18, 8:23 AM
    Santander bank cheque not valid in USA??? 16th May 18 at 8:23 AM
    My Nephew, 23, a British citizen, lives in the USA. He was born in the UK and his British parents set up a bank account when he was born. On a recent visit to the UK, the account was closed and Santander issued a cheque for the balance, slightly over 7k. He took that cheque back to the USA and the banks won't accept it. the USA arm of Santander say they are the same brand but a different bank. Is it possible for my nephew to open an online UK bank, post the cheque to me to deposit in this account then transfer the money to himself in the USA?
Page 1
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 16th May 18, 9:09 AM
    • 1,156 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 16th May 18, 9:09 AM
    • 16th May 18, 9:09 AM
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter what the name of the issuer is on the check, so long as the name matches the account it's being paid into
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 16th May 18, 9:19 AM
    • 20,157 Posts
    • 15,880 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 16th May 18, 9:19 AM
    • 16th May 18, 9:19 AM
    The difficulty is going to be opening an account, most banks require the account holder to have a UK residential address in order to open a new account.

His mistake was in getting the balance paid as a cheque, he should have arranged for an electronic transfer direct to his US account. Too late now though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,097Posts Today

5,277Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin