Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JustJem88
    • By JustJem88 16th May 18, 8:20 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JustJem88
    Building on leasehold land
    • 16th May 18, 8:20 AM
    Building on leasehold land 16th May 18 at 8:20 AM
    Hi all, I wonder if anyone could help me.

I have a leasehold Persimmon homes property on a site that is still being developed. On my title deeds there is a small lawned area to the left of my front door (separated by a small path to a carpark) that is clearly marked as mine. I would like to turn this area into an extra parking space, and I'm not sure if this is something I can just do or if I would need a) permission from Persimmon and b) Planning Permission.

The house over the road from me also had a mirroring patch of land and they have reclaimed it by extending their garden and fencing around it, but I am unable to do this as it is not connected to my garden.

Other people on the estate have turned their front gardens into driveways, I know one in particular that didn't seek any kind of permission and has had no contact from the builder, and there are some people that have two parking spaces that have built sheds/outhouses on them.

I was going to just go ahead and do it, paving it with the same brick that the developer has used for the car park, but I don't want to be worrying about potential comebacks in the form of paying for retrospective permission from Persimmon and legal costs along with reverting the work - but also don't want to go down a long path of gaining permission from a (overly difficult to deal with) company, if it wouldn't be required.

It is clear the piece of land is mine on the plan, but I've always owned freehold properties so I'm not really sure what rights I have.

Thanks!
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 16th May 18, 8:23 AM
    • 8,492 Posts
    • 8,946 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 16th May 18, 8:23 AM
    • 16th May 18, 8:23 AM
    I'm not really sure what rights I have.
    Originally posted by JustJem88
    You'll find out by reading your lease.
    • JustJem88
    • By JustJem88 16th May 18, 8:29 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JustJem88
    • 16th May 18, 8:29 AM
    • 16th May 18, 8:29 AM
    I've read the lease, it's very ambiguous. That's why I'm asking a bit of public opinion as I'm not fluent in legal jargon.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 16th May 18, 9:02 AM
    • 26,126 Posts
    • 94,830 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 16th May 18, 9:02 AM
    • 16th May 18, 9:02 AM
    How can people give their opinion on this 'legal jargon' if they can't see it?
    I might be old, but I got to see a lot of good bands...
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 16th May 18, 9:05 AM
    • 8,492 Posts
    • 8,946 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 16th May 18, 9:05 AM
    • 16th May 18, 9:05 AM
    I've read the lease, it's very ambiguous. That's why I'm asking a bit of public opinion as I'm not fluent in legal jargon.
    Originally posted by JustJem88
    Could you at least quote the bits you think are relevant? Otherwise we're just guessing (though if you want us to do that, I would expect that the lease does include controls over what you do with the front garden and that the developer would be more likely to enforce that if they're still on site).
    • pinklady21
    • By pinklady21 16th May 18, 10:54 AM
    • 734 Posts
    • 547 Thanks
    pinklady21
    • 16th May 18, 10:54 AM
    • 16th May 18, 10:54 AM
    Why not ask your solicitor?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,136Posts Today

8,668Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin