Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • alan17
    • By alan17 16th May 18, 8:03 AM
    • 39Posts
    • 10Thanks
    alan17
    Costco fuel
    • 16th May 18, 8:03 AM
    Costco fuel 16th May 18 at 8:03 AM
    Does anyone use Costco fuel?

Some friends have been using it and if what they say is true itís near 20p cheaper than my v power diesel. (I have to use v power since the emissions remap or I get dpf regens constantly)

Is the fuel as cheap as people say? itís not on petrol prices so I canít do a cost comparison. Nearest is a 25 minute drive away.
Page 1
    • philnicandevan
    • By philnicandevan 16th May 18, 8:17 AM
    • 566 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    philnicandevan
    • 16th May 18, 8:17 AM
    • 16th May 18, 8:17 AM
    My local costco is always around 15 to 20p cheaper than anywhere else (apart from asda..but had issues with supermarket fuel in the past) I have a petrol MPV and noticed more milage per trip with costco fuel than standard garage (shell/esso etc) fuel MPG
    Not quite a newbie as you think (the member formally known as philnicandamy!)

FINALLY a qualified CAB debt caseworker 2015..
    BSC 58
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 16th May 18, 9:58 AM
    • 16,962 Posts
    • 10,092 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 16th May 18, 9:58 AM
    • 16th May 18, 9:58 AM
    Does anyone use Costco fuel?

Some friends have been using it and if what they say is true itís near 20p cheaper than my v power diesel. (I have to use v power since the emissions remap or I get dpf regens constantly)

Is the fuel as cheap as people say? itís not on petrol prices so I canít do a cost comparison. Nearest is a 25 minute drive away.
    Originally posted by alan17
    If you "need" v power diesel then the cost of the CostCo fuel is irrespective.

The issue is that V Power diesel is expensive, not that Costco fuel is massively cheaper.

For info though, V Power is a series of additives in the standard diesel, for which you are paying a significant premium. You could consider a Millers diesel addive which should do the same job and costs a couple of pence per litre.

Also, if you're needing regens so much on regular fuel then you've got an issue somewhere....
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • marlot
    • By marlot 16th May 18, 10:41 AM
    • 3,525 Posts
    • 2,637 Thanks
    marlot
    • 16th May 18, 10:41 AM
    • 16th May 18, 10:41 AM
    Like V-power, Costco have an additive pack. Here are the Costco claims ...

http://www.costcoconnection.co.uk/connectionuk/20160910?pg=28#pg28

... only you can decide whether its as good as V-power.

I don't have a costco fuel station near me, but when I've used their diesel its worked well for me.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 16th May 18, 10:43 AM
    • 11,254 Posts
    • 8,062 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 16th May 18, 10:43 AM
    • 16th May 18, 10:43 AM
    Do you need to be a Costco member to use their petrol stations?
    • lockedout69
    • By lockedout69 16th May 18, 10:48 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    lockedout69
    • 16th May 18, 10:48 AM
    • 16th May 18, 10:48 AM
    Do you need to be a Costco member to use their petrol stations?
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    yes you do need membership
    • King_Nothing
    • By King_Nothing 16th May 18, 12:34 PM
    • 769 Posts
    • 1,008 Thanks
    King_Nothing
    • 16th May 18, 12:34 PM
    • 16th May 18, 12:34 PM
    I use their 99RON petrol, usually around the same price as regular shell petrol so saves me quite a bit over V-Power. My local one only does regular diesel though.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 16th May 18, 3:34 PM
    • 6,685 Posts
    • 5,213 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 16th May 18, 3:34 PM
    • 16th May 18, 3:34 PM
    My local one only does regular diesel though.
    Originally posted by King_Nothing
    You sure, the 4 sites I've visited for fuel all were premium diesel.
    Donít be a canít, be a can.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 16th May 18, 4:03 PM
    • 6,535 Posts
    • 41,890 Thanks
    Gers
    • 16th May 18, 4:03 PM
    • 16th May 18, 4:03 PM
    My nearest Costco (Glasgow) only has the premium diesel alongside the petrol. The 'attendant' chap there told me it's much better than supermarket diesel. I can't tell, but the price is good.

There's a huge Tesco Extra right across the road from the Costco so competition is working.
    • alan17
    • By alan17 16th May 18, 6:03 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    alan17
    If you "need" v power diesel then the cost of the CostCo fuel is irrespective.

The issue is that V Power diesel is expensive, not that Costco fuel is massively cheaper.

For info though, V Power is a series of additives in the standard diesel, for which you are paying a significant premium. You could consider a Millers diesel addive which should do the same job and costs a couple of pence per litre.

Also, if you're needing regens so much on regular fuel then you've got an issue somewhere....
    Originally posted by motorguy
    I agree on the car having a issue, it was fine until the VW emissions remap funny enough! They say itís fine though.

Will check out the millers thanks!

Thanks for the responses everyone, we are getting a new membership anyway near Xmas. So I may try their performance diesel (my local does stock this) and see how it is on that.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 17th May 18, 3:26 AM
    • 3,224 Posts
    • 2,331 Thanks
    Tarambor
    I have to use v power since the emissions remap or I get dpf regens constantly
    No, you get DPF regens because your car is knackered. Remaps such as ones from Bluefin etc have a nasty tendency to tip a borderline car over the edge. Normally you'd have noticed on a non-DPF car with the amount of black crap coming out the back but as you have a DPF that doesn't happen, you get a blocked DPF instead.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 17th May 18, 8:42 AM
    • 16,962 Posts
    • 10,092 Thanks
    motorguy
    I agree on the car having a issue, it was fine until the VW emissions remap funny enough! They say itís fine though.

Will check out the millers thanks!

Thanks for the responses everyone, we are getting a new membership anyway near Xmas. So I may try their performance diesel (my local does stock this) and see how it is on that.
    I've always used Millers in diesels and modified diesels i've owned and its been great. Lots of reviews about - also check it out on Amazon for the reviews there.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 17th May 18, 8:52 AM
    • 4,384 Posts
    • 1,613 Thanks
    bengalknights
    I use both tesco and costco 99ron

Usually see a 25 mile tank difference in tesco favour between the 2 however for the price at costco its not a issue.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 17th May 18, 9:32 AM
    • 11,254 Posts
    • 8,062 Thanks
    neilmcl
    I've always used Millers in diesels and modified diesels i've owned and its been great. Lots of reviews about - also check it out on Amazon for the reviews there.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    I tried it for a while with an older diesel but it just stunk the car out with carrying it around in the boot. I gave up in the end and used premium diesel as and when I needed to. I'll usually do 3-4 fill ups of the V-Power diesel every 6 months.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 17th May 18, 9:41 AM
    • 16,962 Posts
    • 10,092 Thanks
    motorguy
    I tried it for a while with an older diesel but it just stunk the car out with carrying it around in the boot. I gave up in the end and used premium diesel as and when I needed to. I'll usually do 3-4 fill ups of the V-Power diesel every 6 months.
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    Yes, the trick is either kept it propped upright and well tightened OR (as i did) keep it in the garage at home then just put it in from there.

It does ming to high heaven.
    • alan17
    • By alan17 18th May 18, 7:12 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    alan17
    No, you get DPF regens because your car is knackered. Remaps such as ones from Bluefin etc have a nasty tendency to tip a borderline car over the edge. Normally you'd have noticed on a non-DPF car with the amount of black crap coming out the back but as you have a DPF that doesn't happen, you get a blocked DPF instead.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Any idea what could be wrong with it then?, 65k on a modern diesel to be knackered is pretty poor in my opinion.

It!!!8217;s not remapped from a performance perspective. VW have done the emissions fix, which is a remap. It adds an extra injector cycle, I suspect I have worn injectors.

Although the car regens a lot on cheap fuel, it!!!8217;s never blocked fully or had the dpf light come on.

At least its getting 55mpg I guess, it was closer to 60 before emissions fix, Doesnthelp when the fuel is pricey.
    Last edited by alan17; 18-05-2018 at 7:32 AM.
    • King_Nothing
    • By King_Nothing 18th May 18, 12:51 PM
    • 769 Posts
    • 1,008 Thanks
    King_Nothing
    You sure, the 4 sites I've visited for fuel all were premium diesel.
    Originally posted by ohreally
    Will have a look next time I'm there, never really noticed before though, all I know is there are three options at each pump, and two of them are petrol.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 18th May 18, 2:24 PM
    • 7,882 Posts
    • 23,472 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    Last I topped up at costco on their cheap petrol, it was only a ha'penny less than the sainburys stuff. No nectar points either.

I may drop in & refill there though as the lads are baying for more Pepsi...
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 18th May 18, 3:49 PM
    • 546 Posts
    • 343 Thanks
    debtdebt
    If the nearest Costco is 25 miles away, surely any saving on price is going to be wiped out by you having to drive there?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,844Posts Today

6,378Users online

Martin's Twitter