Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lavandergirl
    • By lavandergirl 16th May 18, 3:59 AM
    • 429Posts
    • 521Thanks
    lavandergirl
    Bookeeping - Xero or QuickBooks
    • 16th May 18, 3:59 AM
    Bookeeping - Xero or QuickBooks 16th May 18 at 3:59 AM
    What is the recommended software for someone who is inexperienced in accounting

QuickBooks or Xero

Thanks
    Last edited by lavandergirl; 16-05-2018 at 9:29 AM.
    Do Something Amazing- Give Blood
Page 1
    • Dhoney22002
    • By Dhoney22002 16th May 18, 4:07 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Dhoney22002
    • 16th May 18, 4:07 AM
    • 16th May 18, 4:07 AM
    An accountant to start with maybe?
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 16th May 18, 7:44 AM
    • 10,054 Posts
    • 18,642 Thanks
    Pennywise
    • 16th May 18, 7:44 AM
    • 16th May 18, 7:44 AM
    Depends what book-keeping training you'll be doing. Neither are good for raw beginners. If your business is simple enough that you don't think you need any formal training, then both are over the top. There are simpler and more forgiving options for simple businesses. Neither QB nor Xevo are for amateurs and both have the ability to really foul up the books of someone who doesn't know what they're doing. I'd suggest you look at Freeagent or Kashflow instead or if business is very small & simple look at SageOne.
    • lavandergirl
    • By lavandergirl 16th May 18, 8:45 AM
    • 429 Posts
    • 521 Thanks
    lavandergirl
    • 16th May 18, 8:45 AM
    • 16th May 18, 8:45 AM
    An accountant to start with maybe?
    Originally posted by Dhoney22002
    Yes, he recommended I use Xero but friend says Quick books due to no bookeping experience.

I have tried Pandle and Xero but I'm not sure if I am doing it right. Business is at start up phase and just buying stock and incurring few expenses. It simple at present but might get complicated in the future.

My accountant's bookeping fee is 50 /month plus software fees.
    Do Something Amazing- Give Blood
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 16th May 18, 9:26 AM
    • 396 Posts
    • 472 Thanks
    maisie cat
    • 16th May 18, 9:26 AM
    • 16th May 18, 9:26 AM
    It largely depends on how complex your business is and how many transactions. Many simple businesses have only income, purchases of goods & services and mileage. If you are a sole trader you can use cash accounting so simply detail cash in & cash out.
    A diary kept detailing the the work & mileage as well as recording purchases and keeping receipts is really all you need. I created a excel spreadsheet where I detailed every transaction and converted to accounts but I only have 300 transactions year across everything.
    The online accounts are expensive and once you decide you don't need them anymore you cannot access them. I would first buy a book keeping book so that you can understand it before you start shelling out on software or accountants
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 16th May 18, 9:28 AM
    • 10,054 Posts
    • 18,642 Thanks
    Pennywise
    • 16th May 18, 9:28 AM
    • 16th May 18, 9:28 AM
    Yes, he recommended I use Xero but friend says Quick books due to no bookeping experience.
    Originally posted by lavandergirl
    Quickbooks isn't for a beginner. I've been an accountant for over 30 years and if there's one software that clients beggar up badly it's quickbooks. If you know what you're doing and your business is complicated, it's probably the best, but there's just so many ways of fouling it up, it really isn't for the amateur.

If your accountant uses and recommends Xevo, and will set it up for you and give you the necessary training, then go with what they recommend.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,895Posts Today

4,459Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin