Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UKSBD
    • By UKSBD 15th May 18, 11:30 PM
    • 578Posts
    • 184Thanks
    UKSBD
    how do people get away with altering appearances of number plates?
    • 15th May 18, 11:30 PM
    how do people get away with altering appearances of number plates? 15th May 18 at 11:30 PM
    I've always thought it was illegal to change spacings on number plates, so how do people get away altering spaces and making numbers look lie letters?
Page 2
    • Nilrem
    • By Nilrem 16th May 18, 1:56 PM
    • 2,390 Posts
    • 1,567 Thanks
    Nilrem
    FPN is available. If it's refused, or if the police decide not to FPN (it's been done before, or the attitude test was massively failed) then it's court, with a poss max £1k fine.

Ultimately, the plate itself can be withdrawn by DVLA (with zero compensation if it's a "personal" plate, no matter how high the market value), and a new age-related one will be issued.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Aye and for some reason the idiots that buy the plates then display them incorrectly whilst acting like twerps get upset when it happens.

The issue is that it requires police to spot it (not enough traffic police at all these days), and to know/remember/think to report it to the DVLA.
    I've heard of it happening a few times, usually with repeat offenders who have failed the attitude test and keep being a nuisance with regards to their driving/modifications to the car that are otherwise not enough to cause it to be banned from the road or just fines.

I have heard of traffic officers who have caught someone doing something silly/illegal but not thinking they'd manage to get a prosecution for that offence (or not being 100% sure it would be successful) ending up going over an idiots car with a fine tooth comb for any other offences and reporting them for everything else including the plates.
    More than once I've seen/heard officers mention how if they look hard enough they can usually find something if the driver is an utter twit, even if it's just making the driver clean the number plate (some people seem to accidentally "miss" cleaning it so it's barely readable even if the rest of the car is immaculate - IIRC it's a construction and use reg to have the plate readable).

The thing that always amuses me a bit, is the number of people that modify their plates to look "better" and thus attract attention, that are also doing other things wrong and probably shouldn't be doing anything to make their car more noticeable,
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 16th May 18, 2:20 PM
    • 1,774 Posts
    • 1,087 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Aye and for some reason the idiots that buy the plates then display them incorrectly whilst acting like twerps get upset when it happens.

The issue is that it requires police to spot it (not enough traffic police at all these days), and to know/remember/think to report it to the DVLA.
    I've heard of it happening a few times, usually with repeat offenders who have failed the attitude test and keep being a nuisance with regards to their driving/modifications to the car that are otherwise not enough to cause it to be banned from the road or just fines.

I have heard of traffic officers who have caught someone doing something silly/illegal but not thinking they'd manage to get a prosecution for that offence (or not being 100% sure it would be successful) ending up going over an idiots car with a fine tooth comb for any other offences and reporting them for everything else including the plates.
    More than once I've seen/heard officers mention how if they look hard enough they can usually find something if the driver is an utter twit, even if it's just making the driver clean the number plate (some people seem to accidentally "miss" cleaning it so it's barely readable even if the rest of the car is immaculate - IIRC it's a construction and use reg to have the plate readable).

The thing that always amuses me a bit, is the number of people that modify their plates to look "better" and thus attract attention, that are also doing other things wrong and probably shouldn't be doing anything to make their car more noticeable,
    Originally posted by Nilrem
    I thought it was a vehicle excise offence.
    • davidwood681
    • By davidwood681 16th May 18, 2:55 PM
    • 393 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    davidwood681
    On a side note, if you have to go into detail explaining what your private reg means, it's usually a rubbish set of characters
    • prowla
    • By prowla 16th May 18, 3:45 PM
    • 9,871 Posts
    • 8,008 Thanks
    prowla
    Prowla, vanity plates can be hard for ANPR to identify correctly, do you want criminals to have anonymity?
    Originally posted by treboeth
    Well, that's an angle I haven't heard before!
    Maybe the ANPR systems are in need of an upgrade (AI is all the rage this year!).
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 16th May 18, 4:07 PM
    • 1,096 Posts
    • 1,236 Thanks
    treboeth
    Well, that's an angle I haven't heard before!
    Maybe the ANPR systems are in need of an upgrade (AI is all the rage this year!).
    Originally posted by prowla
    If you actually sit in a police car and watch the ANPR it tries to identify quite a few things as a number plate(archways, street furniture etc).
    The ANPR system is unlikely to be cutting edge technology as the money is just not there for it.

As mentioned above why give the police a reason to stop you anyway, they have better things to be doing and so do most people(unless they want something to complain about)
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 16th May 18, 4:22 PM
    • 1,774 Posts
    • 1,087 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    If you actually sit in a police car and watch the ANPR it tries to identify quite a few things as a number plate(archways, street furniture etc).
    The ANPR system is unlikely to be cutting edge technology as the money is just not there for it.

As mentioned above why give the police a reason to stop you anyway, they have better things to be doing and so do most people(unless they want something to complain about)
    But youíre unlikely to see it try and read more than one thing unless itís moving. Not everyone gets a one way trip in the back.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 16th May 18, 5:00 PM
    • 3,115 Posts
    • 1,940 Thanks
    Car 54
    Prowla, vanity plates can be hard for ANPR to identify correctly, do you want criminals to have anonymity?
    On the other hand, vanity plates are (usually) more memorable, and thus to be avoided by the crims. Apart from the exceptionally stupid ones, like this guy https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6238223/Bank-robber-caught-out-by-personalised-BMW-number-plate.html
    • treboeth
    • By treboeth 16th May 18, 5:05 PM
    • 1,096 Posts
    • 1,236 Thanks
    treboeth
    On the other hand, vanity plates are (usually) more memorable, and thus to be avoided by the crims. Apart from the exceptionally stupid ones, like this guy https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/6238223/Bank-robber-caught-out-by-personalised-BMW-number-plate.html
    Originally posted by Car 54
    True

What kind of a dumbass uses his own vehicle with a private plate to set up a robbery

I know the answer is James Snell
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 16th May 18, 5:35 PM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 10,039 Thanks
    NBLondon
    Do the police even care if the spacing is wrong but the characters are what they're supposed to be? I would have thought they'd have a bigger issue with people trying to change the appearance of characters with a black fixture for example trying to make a c into an e
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    I agree. Spacing is one thing - making a character appear to be a different one is another.
    So it could be argued that when the owner of BE 17 END tries to make it look like BE 11 END by using an odd font - they are deliberately setting out to avoid ANPR detection and mis-direct any NIPs and so on to the Registered Keeper of the latter vehicle. So that's more than vanity - that's deception.
    On a side note, if you have to go into detail explaining what your private reg means, it's usually a rubbish set of characters
    Originally posted by davidwood681
    Yep - either it means something to those who know you or it means something related to the car. If it's not obvious - why bother. {Or as James May said "If you want me to know your name is Terry - just write Terry's Car on the bootlid -it's cheaper"}

I once knew X 121 JOX which was displayed as X 121 JO X - Owner was called Joanne. Harmless.

On one commute I often found myself behind B 15 UEX which was displayed as B1 5UE X. Not sure if it was a case of couldn't afford something 1 SUE or wanted to celebrate her sexuality publicly....
    Womble #7 - Running Total £9.85 $2.12 Ä5.26 S//0.10 (that's supposed to be 10 Ukrainian kopiyki but the site is refusing to display the symbol) Bds$0.10 A$0.05 NZ$0.05 C$0.89 S$0.20 zl0.02 (Polish grosze) LB0.22 (Bulgarian stotinka) ISKr 5 DKr 0.50 CHF 0.50 R0.10 (Rand not Rupees)
    • z1a
    • By z1a 19th May 18, 5:30 PM
    • 1,389 Posts
    • 1,335 Thanks
    z1a
    Recently noticed a lot of rear plates that are almost black. Surely there is a limit as to how dark the yellow can be.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 19th May 18, 7:32 PM
    • 3,784 Posts
    • 4,467 Thanks
    Johno100
    Well if it is good enough for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex....

• Robisere
    • By Robisere 19th May 18, 8:57 PM
    • 2,312 Posts
    • 3,116 Thanks
    Robisere
    The fanfare over ANPR cameras is a joke. There are long stretches of road in my county, which have camera warning signs every mile or so. I can drive at least 15 miles and never see a camera. There is one on the bypass of a certain town, an "A" road, which has a camera sneakily positioned around a tight downhill bend, shortly after a long, fast straight with no cameras. Problem is, everyone knows that it does not work: has been decommissioned but left for appearance, as most of the few cameras in the county are. Don't ask me how I know that, but it is true.

The rare occasions when we see a working camera, it is usually in the back of a Police ANPR setup. We just have too many miles of road and too few police officers, in the second biggest English county. We also have a lot of large HGV's coming and going from the Humber docks, with very few miles of dual carriageways.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • MobileSaver
    • By MobileSaver 19th May 18, 10:41 PM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 1,988 Thanks
    MobileSaver

Originally posted by Johno100
    They were driving that car on the private Windsor estate, not public roads, so I guess they were perfectly within their rights to have whatever number plate they wanted.
    Respect to 3 of the greatest actors of all time; amazing people who are totally believable as the characters they play & almost single-handedly make the shows they starred in:

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister in Game of Thrones
    Daniel J. Travanti as Frank Furillo in Hill Street Blues
    Claire Danes as Carrie Mathison in Homeland
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 20th May 18, 12:13 AM
    • 3,115 Posts
    • 1,940 Thanks
    Car 54
    The fanfare over ANPR cameras is a joke. There are long stretches of road in my county, which have camera warning signs every mile or so. I can drive at least 15 miles and never see a camera. There is one on the bypass of a certain town, an "A" road, which has a camera sneakily positioned around a tight downhill bend, shortly after a long, fast straight with no cameras. Problem is, everyone knows that it does not work: has been decommissioned but left for appearance, as most of the few cameras in the county are. Don't ask me how I know that, but it is true.

The rare occasions when we see a working camera, it is usually in the back of a Police ANPR setup. We just have too many miles of road and too few police officers, in the second biggest English county. We also have a lot of large HGV's coming and going from the Humber docks, with very few miles of dual carriageways.
    Originally posted by Robisere
    Are you possibly confusing ANPR cameras with speed cameras?
    • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • By atrixblue.-MFR-. 20th May 18, 11:59 AM
    • 6,565 Posts
    • 4,550 Thanks
    atrixblue.-MFR-.

Originally posted by Johno100
    I think that was more of a advertisment to the PAPZ as thats the date they married.
    "We only have one world, But we live in different worlds"- Mark Knopfler Brothers in arms, Miss you gramps.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,458Posts Today

8,799Users online

Martin's Twitter