Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 15th May 18, 11:27 PM
    • 94Posts
    • 10Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    Bathroom damp? Fungus!
    • 15th May 18, 11:27 PM
    Bathroom damp? Fungus! 15th May 18 at 11:27 PM
    I've been in my topfloor apartment for 3 years. About that time, I had the old vinyl floor removed and tiled, and fresh splashback sink tiles and tiles from bath/shower to ceiling put in. Also a new powerful ceiling extractor since I don't have a window in the bathroom.

A while ago, I noticed a small patch of black mould just outside the tiled shower area, where the chrome strip covers the edge of the tile, near to where the curved shower screen is.

Now, I can't remember if this was an issue before the re-tiling was done?

But everything seemed fine, sealed and flush at the time?

The rubber under the shower screen needs replacing I guess, but I don't think that much/any water is getting under it, to the wall?

Anyway, I've put filler into the area, but every few months, it needs doing again, Its a small few cm square area.

Today, I noticed a single mushroom out of it?!

So I guess it doesn't look good?

Which tradesman do I call and what probably needs doing?
Page 1
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 15th May 18, 11:41 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    • 15th May 18, 11:41 PM
    • 15th May 18, 11:41 PM
    I should add I own the property and not rent and it's leasehold
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 15th May 18, 11:46 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    • 15th May 18, 11:46 PM
    • 15th May 18, 11:46 PM
    I'm getting quite worried having seen the mushroom

Tomorrow I'm going to bleach the area. I'm.goung to try fit another rubber seal under the shower screen which I bought ages ago..but because the seal is straight and screen curved, it's a pain to bend and I end up giving up.

Been reading horror stories about taking need replacing, wood need replacing

Hoping it doesn't come to that.

What shall I do once I've bleached and sealed?

Do I watch and wait? Call management company? Sort myself by calling a plumber?

The shower/bathroom area backs onto a storage cupboard in living room. There are no wiring/electric nearby
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 16th May 18, 7:26 AM
    • 26,108 Posts
    • 55,671 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 16th May 18, 7:26 AM
    • 16th May 18, 7:26 AM
    In my limited experience, a single mushroom comes from a long term slow drip. Probably a worn seal as you say.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 16th May 18, 5:42 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    • 16th May 18, 5:42 PM
    • 16th May 18, 5:42 PM
    I had a plumber round. He seemed in a rush. But said drill a few holes in the stud wall in the storage cupboard where it backs on to to let it dry out and put silicone seal where the shower screen is to stop water moving out of the bath area. He said short of moving toilet, shower etc round there's not much else. He said it appears to just be a small area, though didn't remove the bath tub panel to check underneath
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 4th Jun 18, 6:43 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    • 4th Jun 18, 6:43 PM
    • 4th Jun 18, 6:43 PM
    Really don't know what to do. This is a bigger problem I think.

So I bleached that mould wall area, drilled a few holes in the storage cupboard that backs onto it, and applied some antifungal seal.

That area looks ok but there's a brownish steak on the outside of the wall there?

But today, I noticed 3 tiny mushroom heads about 5 mm in the actual shower/tiled area, from the bottom tiles where it meets the bath.

So this is more than a drip around the shower seal and seems that whole back wall where the shower is, is probably suffering.

Very stressed about it and the potential costs involved.

Will the whole tiled area need removing, drying out, then re tiled? It will cost 300-400 pounds I'm guessing.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 4th Jun 18, 7:21 PM
    • 2,327 Posts
    • 3,142 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 4th Jun 18, 7:21 PM
    • 4th Jun 18, 7:21 PM
    There's no point sealing anything until it's all dried out properly, you'd only be sealing in moisture and it will escape somewhere.

Yes, the whole area will need drying out. There's no point keep bleaching and sealing. Treat the cause, not the symptoms.
    Please forgive the deliberate omission of apostrophes on some posts whilst I await MSE to do something about the daft codes that appear in their place when typing on certain devices.
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 4th Jun 18, 8:08 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    • 4th Jun 18, 8:08 PM
    • 4th Jun 18, 8:08 PM
    Just to clear up, the 3 single mushroom I noticed today for the first time, 3 weeks after resealing the area between tile and bath, which was not the initial problem area. I had not bleached that area before, just the adjacent wall outside the cubicle.

How do you 'dry out' an entirely tiled area without taking the tiles off? What exactly am I supposed to do having realised it's probably that whole area of the shower that has an issue not just the small initial area outside the shower?
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 4th Jun 18, 8:15 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    • 4th Jun 18, 8:15 PM
    • 4th Jun 18, 8:15 PM
    I messaged my tiler who did the job and he said remove the bath Panel and if there's a leak I should be able to see it. So do I remove it and run the shower and see if water drips out? Seems hard to remove does it just pull off
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 4th Jun 18, 8:20 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    JohnB47
    First you get a mushroom and now
    .......there's a brownish steak on the outside of the wall there?
    Originally posted by moneysaverz83
    You'll never need to buy food again!

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    • JohnB47
    • By JohnB47 4th Jun 18, 8:24 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 373 Thanks
    JohnB47
    I messaged my tiler who did the job and he said remove the bath Panel and if there's a leak I should be able to see it. So do I remove it and run the shower and see if water drips out? Seems hard to remove does it just pull off
    Originally posted by moneysaverz83
    It could be held in place using just sealer round the edges. Or maybe just bent into place (if its plastic) - locating in grooves at top and bottom. Can you see any screw heads or more likely, screw heads covered by little plastic round covers? Mine is tiles stuck to plywood and held in place with both sealant and two screws.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 4th Jun 18, 10:49 PM
    • 2,327 Posts
    • 3,142 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    At this time of year a tiled wall will dry out, IF you don!!!8217;t keep using the shower on it. Have you got a gym membership or a shower at work you can use for a few weeks whilst the wall dries out?
    Please forgive the deliberate omission of apostrophes on some posts whilst I await MSE to do something about the daft codes that appear in their place when typing on certain devices.
    • moneysaverz83
    • By moneysaverz83 7th Jun 18, 1:55 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    moneysaverz83
    Why would you let a tiled wall dry out for a few weeks, to only use it again after? That doesn't seem like treating the problem.

I have no window in the bathroom, but a high power extractor and windows and doors elsewhere are always open, the flat is well ventilated

Clearly something has gone wrong on the shower wall area for a mushroom!! to start appearing. I'm very upset about the situation and the potential expense and hassle it may cause.

I have a plumber looking into it next Thursday.

I don't have heaters on much, perhaps I should do that as well as ventilation
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 7th Jun 18, 8:23 PM
    • 2,327 Posts
    • 3,142 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    You do have to get to the source of the problem, yes, but the wall will need to be dried out anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

184Posts Today

1,709Users online

Martin's Twitter