Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MattWilson
    • By MattWilson 15th May 18, 9:01 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    MattWilson
    Parking Charge Notice - Assistance Required
    • 15th May 18, 9:01 PM
    Parking Charge Notice - Assistance Required 15th May 18 at 9:01 PM
    Good Evening,

I write to you to request assistance regarding alleged parking contravention.

A friend of mine parked his vehicle in an allocated parking bay in a private residence. He was not the owner / tenant however had permission to park there from the owner / tenant.

He returned to the vehicle on Sunday to find a yellow plastic wallet under his windscreen stating : -

"ATTENTION DOCUMENT ENCLOSED. THIS IS NOT A PARKING CHARGE NOTICE. WARNING ONLY THE PERSON IN CHARGE OF THIS VEHICLE IS AUTHORISED TO REMOVE THIS DOCUMENT".

He thought little of the ticket at the time due to reading horror stories of scammers out there who have tried this in the past.

17 days following this he received not one but two letters in the post titled : -

"PARKING CHARGE NOTICE(PCN) NOTICE TO KEEPER (NTK)".

He was shocked to have received these as where he was parked was on private property.

However to have received two letters in the post demanding a payment of 100 each or 60 each if paid before a specific date is crazy.

The 'Issue Date' of the letters is 4/5/18 and 8/5/18 and the received date for both is 15/5/18. The payment date is specified as 14 days of the 'Issue Date'.

Please can you advise how to proceed with this.

1. The vehicle was parked in a private parking bay in a residential parking lot upon which it is specified in the contract the parking bay is allocated to the resident of the property.
    2. Having visited the vehicle of Saturday and not witnessed a notice on the window and to receive a 'Parking Charge Notice' in the post is unfair.
    3. Although not the resident of the property the parking bay is allocated to, permission was granted to use the parking bay by the resident.

Paying either 120 or 200 if not paid in time is a huge amount for parking and we are not sure how to respond. Does he have any chance if he was to appeal? Should he try or is this a waste of time?

Please can you come back to me with any advice as soon as possible as he is being forced to return payment by 22/5/18 or will incur increased charges.

Any help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.
Page 1
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 15th May 18, 9:07 PM
    • 1,263 Posts
    • 1,714 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    • 15th May 18, 9:07 PM
    I would go back to the parking forum and read the newbies thread , I think it may answer a lot of questions for you
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 15th May 18, 9:07 PM
    • 57,371 Posts
    • 70,972 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Please read NEWBIES PLEASE READ THESE FAQS FIRST, where the appeal template is.

Also search (on this forum, not the whole of MSE) myparkingcharge.co.uk because there are shedloads of threads already about this scam fake PCN.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• MattWilson
    • By MattWilson 15th May 18, 9:28 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MattWilson
    • 15th May 18, 9:28 PM
    • 15th May 18, 9:28 PM
    Apologies.

I have read over the NEWBIES thread and understand we are to write to them using the template. Should we do this for both or combine them into one stating the reference numbers for both at the top of the appeal.
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 15th May 18, 9:37 PM
    • 1,263 Posts
    • 1,714 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    • 15th May 18, 9:37 PM
    • 15th May 18, 9:37 PM
    each and every one should be treat seperatly , separate letters , separate appeals each with corresponding number on

you have been back to the site and asked the LAND owner to asist you as you were a genuine visitor
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • MattWilson
    • By MattWilson 15th May 18, 9:42 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MattWilson
    • 15th May 18, 9:42 PM
    • 15th May 18, 9:42 PM
    Thank you twhitehousescat.

Are you stating I should add onto the template that 'I have been back to the site and asked the land owner to assist me as I was a genuine visitor' or to ask the land owner to assist me and how do you suggest that is done?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 15th May 18, 10:48 PM
    • 57,371 Posts
    • 70,972 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 15th May 18, 10:48 PM
    • 15th May 18, 10:48 PM
    I have been back to the site
    ''back'' as in returned a second time...no, of course a keeper doesn't say that.

or to ask the land owner to assist me and how do you suggest that is done?
    As per the NEWBIES thread which already covers complaints to the landowner.

PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Redx
    • By Redx 15th May 18, 10:52 PM
    • 18,111 Posts
    • 22,892 Thanks
    Redx
    • 15th May 18, 10:52 PM
    • 15th May 18, 10:52 PM
    its not crazy and nobody should be "shocked" to receive parking charge notices for being parked on private land, they issue something like 7 tickets per second for being "parked on private property" or similar in england and wales, some 5 million or more annually according to recent reports

THE TYPICAL 100 CHARGE HAS BEEN IN FORCE FOR ABOUT 6 YEARS

was this from myparkingcharge ? if yes I assume the NTK letters were from VCS ?
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • MattWilson
    • By MattWilson 15th May 18, 11:01 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MattWilson
    • 15th May 18, 11:01 PM
    • 15th May 18, 11:01 PM
    Hi Redx, He was "shocked" as this bay is allocated in the contract to be of use by the owner / tenant of the residence so to receive a ticket for parking in a privately allocated bay did take him by surprise. He has parked there before and never experienced any issues and only after noticed that the car park has changed and now parking requires a permit. Not being a resident he was not aware (and nor was he informed).

Yes this is from myparkingcharge and the NTK is from VCS.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,105Posts Today

9,044Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin