Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • INAMESS
    • By INAMESS 15th May 18, 8:21 PM
    • 106Posts
    • 3Thanks
    INAMESS
    Ceiling fans any good?
    • 15th May 18, 8:21 PM
    Ceiling fans any good? 15th May 18 at 8:21 PM
    Hi I live in a very warm flat and am thinking of having a ceiling fan installed in my bedroom, I realise they donít cool the room as such but Iím hoping they will cool me during the hot night. Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they any good at cooling you down? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Page 2
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 16th May 18, 6:26 PM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 8,972 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    They don't cool the room, in fact, fans heat up the room due to the motor & and kinetic energy to the air. If you leave a fan on in a room for a day and close the door, then turn the fan off a day later, you'll notice the room temperature is higher than other rooms.
    Any "increase in heat" from the (normally around) 20 - 40 Watt power will be more than lost in increasing air convection from the room to the surroundings, and greater conduction on the cooler surfaces (if any). They do work; they may not be that common in the UK (and neither are very high temperatures) but they are ubiquitous across warmer countries. Of course, "Johnny Foreigner" probably knows nothing of good old British thermodynamics, and couldn't give a fig if their little woman loses her hair - or even her child's head.... but the blades are generally very light, blunt, and have very little kinetic energy. Mine won't even cut a page of A4 (I just tried for fun, fully expecting to lose a finger or two!).

Then, the other reason they work is because the room temperature is rarely up at 37įC, and it's the flow of air across the warm body that cools the warm human... it may not have the same effect on a thermometer.

I have spent enough time working abroad, sometimes in some hellish places to make sure I grab a room with a ceiling fan whenever possible.

There is a reason you won't find many middle class families in Britain with a ceiling fan from Argos.
    Is that because, combined, more middle-class people buy their ceiling fans at Homebase, Ikea, B&Q, Dunelm Mill and Amazon...?

OP: they work, and the passably OK ones are safe. Try and find one that has larger, slower blades (better air circulation, quieter, easier to decapitate enemies). If it has a light, one with a full-range dimmer is better than three stops, which is common. A remote control is great, especially for bedroom ones. In my experience, the very expensive (£300) ones are no better than the £80 ones. Later in the year, the prices all get cut heavily....

... as do scalps...
    • thebigstillmeister
    • By thebigstillmeister 17th May 18, 10:36 AM
    • 130 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    thebigstillmeister

It's a well known fact that most people who own items almost always recommend them, even if they're not good. This is human nature. On the other hand, people who have used them, lived with them, and vice versa, are more capable of a balanced view point. This isn't an insult, it's just a fact.

There is a reason you won't find many middle class families in Britain with a ceiling fan from Argos.
    Originally posted by bobwilson
    That is probably one of the dumbest things I have ever read, that doesn't even make sense,?

I bought the fan AND I also live with it and use it, I have had it many years and when I moved house I took it with me. If it was not good I would not have bothered posting anything,

Also I don't get what you mean with regards to a middle class family buying it from Argos? that is also a weird comment,

I needed a fan, it was reasonably priced and was recommended to me by someone who already had one and was happy with it and it did the job,

When I bought my car, reasonably priced, and did the job were way down on my priority list,

One is a fan, the other is a car,
    • okoyode
    • By okoyode 31st Aug 18, 11:24 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    okoyode
    Hunter 52080
    I have been using Windward ceiling fan for as long as I can remember. It's not one of these fans with contemporary designs, but it served me well until last year when I decided to try another model - Hunter 52080. It's one of the fans I'd recommend for bedroom[/URL]. It's a powerful fan that will keep you cool all night.
    Overall, make sure you check the airflow of the fan and consider the size of your room.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 31st Aug 18, 4:05 PM
    • 5,341 Posts
    • 5,946 Thanks
    societys child
    . . . got ours from Argos, was about £100 at the time and has clear perspex blades, highly recommend getting one,
    Originally posted by thebigstillmeister
    I have the same, perspex blades, 3 speed with remote, almost silent on low speed, so no problem sleeping with it running all night.

Also have an A/C unit, but no way could I sleep with the noisy thing running.

• missile
    • By missile 1st Sep 18, 3:46 AM
    • 9,685 Posts
    • 4,845 Thanks
    missile
    Installed ceiling fans in Spain, they were not very effective. Any desk top fan will be just as good and a dyson fan would be much better.

If you want better and can afford it, go for air con. Don't buy cheap units. We installed Panasonic, very good and quiet.
    Last edited by missile; 01-09-2018 at 3:50 AM.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,589Posts Today

7,503Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watch and all will be explained. It's about early prep not early celebration. To take the stress out of pre-chris? https://t.co/epBrfX8tli

• Just got on the train to Liverpool, as we're there for tonight's @itvMLshow live Christmas special (8pm ITV). Had? https://t.co/xLxH5N6GL2

• RT @CareQualityComm: While Martin's methodology is different to ours, and the rating terminology, it's interesting that the poll findings t?

• Follow Martin