Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • INAMESS
    • By INAMESS 15th May 18, 8:21 PM
    • 106Posts
    • 3Thanks
    INAMESS
    Ceiling fans any good?
    • 15th May 18, 8:21 PM
    Ceiling fans any good? 15th May 18 at 8:21 PM
    Hi I live in a very warm flat and am thinking of having a ceiling fan installed in my bedroom, I realise they donít cool the room as such but Iím hoping they will cool me during the hot night. Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they any good at cooling you down? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Page 1
    • Ruski
    • By Ruski 15th May 18, 9:01 PM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 931 Thanks
    Ruski
    • 15th May 18, 9:01 PM
    • 15th May 18, 9:01 PM
    Yes they work - mates place in spain has them in every bedroom and the breeze is a godsend

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day
    • INAMESS
    • By INAMESS 15th May 18, 9:05 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    INAMESS
    • 15th May 18, 9:05 PM
    • 15th May 18, 9:05 PM
    Thanks for your reply. Any recommended fans you know of? Iím guessing there are good and bad
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 15th May 18, 10:15 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    bobwilson
    • 15th May 18, 10:15 PM
    • 15th May 18, 10:15 PM
    They don't cool the room, in fact, fans heat up the room due to the motor & and kinetic energy to the air. If you leave a fan on in a room for a day and close the door, then turn the fan off a day later, you'll notice the room temperature is higher than other rooms.

To cool a room, you need an air conditioner, such as a portable air conditioning unit or similar.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 15th May 18, 10:26 PM
    • 3,205 Posts
    • 2,269 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 15th May 18, 10:26 PM
    • 15th May 18, 10:26 PM
    A fan above the bed is brilliant. We have a cheap one & a dearer one (in separate rooms obviously), they are equally fine.

Make sure you have enough headroom, although if it's over bed it's not so critical.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 15th May 18, 10:43 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    bobwilson
    • 15th May 18, 10:43 PM
    • 15th May 18, 10:43 PM
    A fan above the bed is brilliant. We have a cheap one & a dearer one (in separate rooms obviously), they are equally fine.

Make sure you have enough headroom, although if it's over bed it's not so critical.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    I think it's down to opinion- many people would find a ceiling fan too hot & noisy (it adds to the heat of the room, but not everyone is sensitive enough to feel that heat, in the same way not everyone is sensitive enough to be disturbed by road noise while its drowned out by fan noise. It's still there though. It's down to your perception; some people are more perceptive than others. Sometimes it's luckier to be less perceptive.). As for the position above the bed, it depends if you have bunk beds or kids who might jump on the bed. A ceiling fan can be EXTREMELY dangerous if hit by mistake. Even if just putting a jumper on with your arms in the air.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 16th May 18, 8:36 AM
    • 3,682 Posts
    • 5,752 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 16th May 18, 8:36 AM
    • 16th May 18, 8:36 AM
    In my previous home, I had a ceiling fan installed in both the living room ,and the main bedroom . The noise didn't bother me . They were a godsend . Living in Greater London was humid at the best of times imho. If installing a fan, make sure to get one that is flush fitting , especially if you have low ceilings like I had .
    I did my brothers ex friend and boss a huge favour . As he owns his own heating and ventilating business, he did me a favour by buying the fans direct from a wholesaler where he gets his various parts for his business at trade price. Cost me nothing btw.
    The other thing to consider...is the dust
    • Ruski
    • By Ruski 16th May 18, 8:42 AM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 931 Thanks
    Ruski
    • 16th May 18, 8:42 AM
    • 16th May 18, 8:42 AM
    A ceiling fan can be EXTREMELY dangerous if hit by mistake.
    Originally posted by bobwilson
    Someone's been watching too many 'Final Destination' movies

Yes - they can give you a clout, but I've never had my hand chopped off.

And yes - I've done exactly what you said in many a drunken Spanish stupor and I'm still here to tell the tale - all fingers and thumbs accounted for

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 16th May 18, 9:23 AM
    • 15,126 Posts
    • 20,691 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 16th May 18, 9:23 AM
    • 16th May 18, 9:23 AM
    We spend a fair bit of time in Australia and ceiling fans in bedrooms are the norm. The air con is only turned on when it gets really hot at night 30+.
    ďNever argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.Ē - Mark Twain
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 16th May 18, 9:31 AM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 966 Thanks
    dunroving
    I lived in the Bahamas and southern States for over 20 years and purely anecdotally, yes they work. Put simply, your body feels cooler when there's a breeze on it.

I could describe for you the science of physiological principles of thermoregulation, but this isn't University Challenge so I won't.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 16th May 18, 9:35 AM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 966 Thanks
    dunroving
    Thanks for your reply. Any recommended fans you know of? Iím guessing there are good and bad
    Originally posted by INAMESS
    That's above my pay grade, but from experience I'd say quietness is possibly the most important criterion (especially in a bedroom). Good quality, too, otherwise with wear and tear it won't be quiet for long!
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • tonygold
    • By tonygold 16th May 18, 9:52 AM
    • 656 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    tonygold
    having sold and used ceiling fans in the past i can certainly say they do work. i have them in most rooms in my place in spain and wouldn't be without them.

i would say get a good make, or particularly in the bedroom, a cheap one will be louder and vibrate more, and that can be really annoying (not so much in a lounge).
    One of the best makes in the UK is Fantasia. Long guarantees, good choice of styles but obviously not the cheapest around.
    • burnsguitarman
    • By burnsguitarman 16th May 18, 2:03 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 436 Thanks
    burnsguitarman
    We have one above our bed, bought it from B&Q it has an integrated light, and comes with a remote control, very effective. Well worth the £70 or so.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 16th May 18, 2:20 PM
    • 4,818 Posts
    • 10,965 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    I have a "Spinnaker" fan by Fantasia. It has a big span and on the slowest setting is near silent. I am a very light sleeper and can sleep with it going.

At slow speed it doesn't create a gust, it feels cooling by effectively creating a gentle breeze that moves away the air that your body is heating and replacing it with cooler air. If you're under duvet that's not going to help much though - if it's that hot the duvet is off in my house.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 16th May 18, 2:28 PM
    • 3,205 Posts
    • 2,269 Thanks
    EssexExile
    I think it's down to opinion- many people would find a ceiling fan too hot & noisy (it adds to the heat of the room, but not everyone is sensitive enough to feel that heat, in the same way not everyone is sensitive enough to be disturbed by road noise while its drowned out by fan noise. It's still there though. It's down to your perception; some people are more perceptive than others. Sometimes it's luckier to be less perceptive.). As for the position above the bed, it depends if you have bunk beds or kids who might jump on the bed. A ceiling fan can be EXTREMELY dangerous if hit by mistake. Even if just putting a jumper on with your arms in the air.
    They don't make any noise, they don't get hot & if you touch them they stop.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • thebigstillmeister
    • By thebigstillmeister 16th May 18, 2:41 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    thebigstillmeister
    They don't make any noise, they don't get hot & if you touch them they stop.
    Originally posted by EssexExile

Completely agree,.. think bobwilson is getting confused with an aeroplane propeller,

We've had the same one for years with an integrated light and remote, just replaces the standard light fitting, got ours from Argos, was about £100 at the time and has clear perspex blades, highly recommend getting one,
    Last edited by thebigstillmeister; 16-05-2018 at 5:24 PM.
    • INAMESS
    • By INAMESS 16th May 18, 5:13 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    INAMESS
    Thank you for all the replies, some very interesting information there and has helped me make my mind up
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 16th May 18, 5:26 PM
    • 10,422 Posts
    • 11,755 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    many people would find a ceiling fan too hot & noisy (it adds to the heat of the room, but not everyone is sensitive enough to feel that heat
    I have 4 ceiling fans in my house (All Fantasia Viper) and even on high speed they only use 105 watts of power. (low and medium speeds are about 50 & 70w).
    The heat given out by such a low wattage motor is minute and thee is no way that anyone would notice a difference in room temperature from the heat given off by this motor.
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 16th May 18, 5:29 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    bobwilson
    Someone's been watching too many 'Final Destination' movies
    Originally posted by Ruski
    or perhaps someone just has a different opinion than yours

Yes - they can give you a clout, but I've never had my hand chopped off.
    Originally posted by Ruski
    that must be reassuring for any mother with children, get a ceiling fan it'll be fine! This grown man was given a "clout" but was lucky enough to not quite have his hands chopped off

Completely agree,.. think bobwilson is getting confused with an aeroplane propeller,

We've had the same one for years with an integrated light and remote, just replaces the standard light fitting, got ours from Argos, was about £100 at the time and has clear perspex blades, highly recommend getting one,
    Originally posted by thebigstillmeister
    Let me see.. aeroplane propeller or ceiling fan... hmm... nope, I'm thinking of a ceiling fan. It's a well known fact that most people who own items almost always recommend them, even if they're not good. This is human nature. On the other hand, people who have used them, lived with them, and vice versa, are more capable of a balanced view point. This isn't an insult, it's just a fact.

There is a reason you won't find many middle class families in Britain with a ceiling fan from Argos.
    Last edited by bobwilson; 16-05-2018 at 5:35 PM.
    • StumpyPumpy
    • By StumpyPumpy 16th May 18, 5:56 PM
    • 1,303 Posts
    • 3,541 Thanks
    StumpyPumpy
    Ignore all the "Fans heat up the room" comments. Whilst technically true, the perceived temperature is lower - just like the weather forecasts that give both actual temperature and "feels like" temperature, what it feels like is more important to your personal comfort than what a thermometer records.

Fans definitely make a room feel cooler and will reduce the temperature around a heat generator (such as a person asleep in bed) because they will distribute the heat throughout the room more effectively than it would through dissipation alone.

If you want to buy a fan, B&Q (loath as I am to recommend them) are currently discounting some of their old ranges to introduce others with new, whizzy names - worth checking them out. We have B&Q Whosh, fans and they are great)

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,796Posts Today

7,351Users online

Martin's Twitter