Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pippinh
    • By pippinh 15th May 18, 8:06 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 4Thanks
    pippinh
    House listed for sale - Owner not signed anything to agree this
    • 15th May 18, 8:06 PM
    House listed for sale - Owner not signed anything to agree this 15th May 18 at 8:06 PM
    Hi all here is my original question - on behalf of a friend who is having a horrendous time.

PS - apologies to those I offended for trying to delete the post originally??!!!

Hi a friend of mine has a home and her ex hub has thrown her out recently, changing the locks and not allowing her entrance into her home (the ex is not the homeowner and is not listed on the deeds)

Today my friend was shocked to discover the family home has now been listed for sale via a local EA.

My obvious question is - is he allowed to do this? Surely the EA would require documents to be signed by the actual owner of the home?
    Last edited by pippinh; 16-05-2018 at 8:06 PM. Reason: question answered
Page 1
    • elsien
    • By elsien 15th May 18, 8:09 PM
    • 16,738 Posts
    • 42,234 Thanks
    elsien
    • 15th May 18, 8:09 PM
    • 15th May 18, 8:09 PM
    If it's her house, what's she doing allowing herself to be thrown out?

When you say ex huh, are they divorced as yet, have the financial splits been agreed/auctioned?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • anselld
    • By anselld 15th May 18, 8:10 PM
    • 5,815 Posts
    • 5,532 Thanks
    anselld
    • 15th May 18, 8:10 PM
    • 15th May 18, 8:10 PM
    Who is the owner?
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 15th May 18, 8:11 PM
    • 22,778 Posts
    • 57,161 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 15th May 18, 8:11 PM
    • 15th May 18, 8:11 PM
    Today my friend was shocked to discover the family home has now been listed for sale via a local EA.

My obvious question is - is he allowed to do this? Surely the EA would require documents to be signed by the actual owner of the home?
    Originally posted by pippinh
    I would guess that he lied to the EA. If he presented himself to them as the owner, they'd believe him. It's not until any solicitors become involved in the actual sale that the deeds are checked.

I would suggest your friend get in contact with the EA sharpish with evidence showing she is the owner!
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • pippinh
    • By pippinh 15th May 18, 8:12 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    pippinh
    • 15th May 18, 8:12 PM
    • 15th May 18, 8:12 PM
    Hello Elsien!

Believe me, diddly squat - no other parties involved as far as I know, her now ex has just said that they don't want to be with her anymore and had the locks changed whilst she was at work.

Anyhoo, any advice on EA and signing documents allowing listing for sale? x
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 15th May 18, 8:13 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 882 Thanks
    dunroving
    • 15th May 18, 8:13 PM
    • 15th May 18, 8:13 PM
    Asked and answered. Does she own the house? If so, she should call the EA and take along proof of ownership.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • pippinh
    • By pippinh 15th May 18, 8:15 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    pippinh
    • 15th May 18, 8:15 PM
    • 15th May 18, 8:15 PM
    They have literally been split up for a month - they were together up until she got home and locks had been changed. The home is in her name only. I really feel for her, her head is up her you know what!
    • pippinh
    • By pippinh 15th May 18, 8:16 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    pippinh
    • 15th May 18, 8:16 PM
    • 15th May 18, 8:16 PM
    Cheers guys I've told my pal to go into the EA first thing in the morning with proof of ownership (hopefully she will have emails because all her paperwork is in the flippin house! argh!)
    • elsien
    • By elsien 15th May 18, 8:19 PM
    • 16,738 Posts
    • 42,234 Thanks
    elsien
    • 15th May 18, 8:19 PM
    • 15th May 18, 8:19 PM
    There is nothing to stop her getting a locksmith to get access. She has as much right to be there as he does. Depending on the length of their marriage, possibly more.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 15th May 18, 8:20 PM
    • 9,853 Posts
    • 11,021 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    She needs to get a solicitor involved pronto. The guys an idjut does he really think I he can get the money from the sale? Also involve the police as a priority. Make sure she takes proof of ownership.
    • pippinh
    • By pippinh 15th May 18, 8:20 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    pippinh
    Thanks Elsien I think she is just scared and feeling out of her depth right now. Thanks for your advice, much appreciated x
    • pippinh
    • By pippinh 15th May 18, 8:22 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    pippinh
    thanks Another Joe x
    • elsien
    • By elsien 15th May 18, 8:24 PM
    • 16,738 Posts
    • 42,234 Thanks
    elsien
    She could get a free half hour appointment with a solicitor as a starting point. That will give her more idea as to where she stands and she can also check out the costs for any ongoing issues.

• Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 15th May 18, 9:00 PM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 6,701 Thanks
    Smodlet
    This sounds like what would have been a fascinating thread, which could have helped others in similar situations, but for the fact the original post has been deleted. This seems to be happening more and more on here recently.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 15th May 18, 9:03 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 882 Thanks
    dunroving
    This sounds like what would have been a fascinating thread, which could have helped others in similar situations, but for the fact the original post has been deleted. This seems to be happening more and more on here recently.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    Good reason to quote the OP in early responses, in case this happens. Find myself doing the same when someone posts something particularly contentious, so they can't remove it (from my post), or edit it.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 15th May 18, 9:05 PM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 6,701 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Good reason to quote the OP in early responses, in case this happens. Find myself doing the same when someone posts something particularly contentious, so they can't remove it (from my post), or edit it.
    Originally posted by dunroving
    Have you moved yet and, if so, how did it go? Likewise, hey, dunroving!
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 15th May 18, 9:14 PM
    • 8,045 Posts
    • 8,320 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Good reason to quote the OP in early responses, in case this happens.
    Or find a cached version:

Hi a friend of mine has a home and her ex hub has thrown her out recently, changing the locks and not allowing her entrance into her home (the ex is not the homeowner and is not listed on the deeds)

Thanks in advance for your advice!!
    Originally posted by pippinh
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 15th May 18, 9:14 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 882 Thanks
    dunroving
    Scheduled to move on Monday to do some renovations prior to moving house contents in early to mid-June. Solicitors and others permitting!
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 15th May 18, 9:28 PM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 6,701 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Scheduled to move on Monday to do some renovations prior to moving house contents in early to mid-June. Solicitors and others permitting!
    Good luck and hope you will be very happy there... And not stop posting here, though imagine you will be very busy.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 15th May 18, 9:30 PM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 6,701 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Or find a cached version:
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    All very well for those as clever as you, davidmcn, who know what that is and how to do it. Unfortunately, I do not number among such () but thank you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

68Posts Today

2,373Users online

Martin's Twitter