Money Moral Dilemma: Should I ask my boss to pay up for carpooling?

Comments

• scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 May 2018 at 11:53AM
    If it is literally on your way I don!!!8217;t think it would be right to ask for money if it!!!8217;s what you!!!8217;d be doing whether they are there or not.

In that case if its nothing and that's what they think, then I would suggest we swap cars every other week and they pick me up. Simple.

Why should they be saving money on transport and you subsidise them?
  • The problem I see with the MSE MMDs is that there is no context or back story .....or anything really.

Exactly!! I wondered if these MMD’s were mostly from people to afraid to post or to afraid to have their posting history snooped through. There is just not enough information.

They lost me at the use of the word ‘Obviously’ to be fair, how is it obvious their boss earns more then they do - hell where I am now the Team Leader isn’t on much more I think there is just under 2k difference, same when I worked in a hotel when my conference mgr made it clear she did the job above for me 14k (pre 2012) because her husband ultimately kept her and she ‘got to do’ the job much for the love.

I’m sorry if this is genuine, I’m imagining two early twenty-somethings in a car, incapable of speaking to one another. Never in 20 years of work has a manager asked for a free of charge lift.
  • anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,442 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I used to be in this position and my manager offered to give me money towards petrol costs and we were both happy with the arrangement.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • Anyone with any manners would offer something towards costs, even if just a small amount. Where it's a senior taking advantage of a junior employee, even more so.

I recently got a lift to the airport with a friend who said 'no need I'm going there anyway' to my offer of a contribution, so I calculated the petrol cost and tucked half into his jacket pocket (hanging over the seat).

This means I can accept another ride from him without sponging or feeling like a scrounger. I didn't offer to share parking as I was making my own way back, otherwise would have of course. Just good manners.

Mention it to your boss but first work out what you think would be fair, in case he asks what you want. I think half petrol costs is more than fair considering you've still got wear and tear which the boss wouldn't have on his car.

Good luck, it's tough to bring up things with the boss in today's economy with so many jobseekers but fair's fair and it's time the boss contributed.
  • Wyndham
    Wyndham Posts: 2,437 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I recently got a lift to the airport with a friend who said 'no need I'm going there anyway' to my offer of a contribution, so I calculated the petrol cost and tucked half into his jacket pocket (hanging over the seat).

This means I can accept another ride from him without sponging or feeling like a scrounger. I didn't offer to share parking as I was making my own way back, otherwise would have of course. Just good manners.

Oh! Now, that brings up another issue. If you offered, and he said no, then I think you did the wrong thing tucking the money in his jacket. That implies that he didn't see you do that, and maybe wondered what the money was? It's also not respecting his wishes, maybe he wanted to do you a favour. If it became a regular occurrence then there needs to be another conversation, but for a one off I think it's right to offer, and if refused, that should be respected.

In terms of the original issue, having another person in the car does increase the overall weight, so will mean more petrol is used (and also more wear and tear, perhaps). But even if you are passing the door, there is an extra cost in taking them. Marginal, maybe, but it will add up over time.

P.S I'm not calling anyone fat here, by the way! :rotfl:
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    For me, its not about you are passing or its only a little in fuel. You are saving as a passenger so why not let us both save a little.

Or like I have said..............you pick me up and drop me off for nothing!
  • tain
    tain Posts: 711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    To answer the dilemma...

Do the calculations, work out the actual additional mileage, what your car's rough mpg is, and how much this is actually costing you. This should give you some perspective and can put a value on what you are providing your manager.

So for instance, £30 a year spread over 12 months isn't a huge amount, especially as it might help build a close relationship with those above you at work, could wind up equalling a payrise, etc. You may think this is a nominal cost.

If it turns out to be costing you £100 or more a year, the you may decide that something needs to be said. Or you may decide that any cost is more than it's worth as you hate having to spend the time in close quarters with your stingy boss. But doing the maths will at least give you perspective.
  • lewisia
    lewisia Posts: 4 Newbie
    I can't understand anyone having a lift to/from work on a regular basis and not offering some petrol money, no matter if you go out of your way or not, some people are just cheeky!
    So yes is my answer or just say no when he asks for a lift!
  • XRAT
    XRAT Posts: 239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Since you are no longer just using your car for social, domestic, pleasure and commuting, you should change your insurance to "business use".
    Your boss should be volunteering the cost of milage, not the extra couple of miles, but from their pick up point to work and return. This is a business cost which should be tax deductable to the company.., not an expenditure for you.
  • Have you not realised yet that nobody enjoys them then?

You don't have to click on them then do you?

I find the most annoying thing reading through the weekly questions is people moaning about them and the real idiots who keep saying "they're not true"

If you don't like them, shut up and do one and leave them to the rest of us who know they are true, because we've asked a question and had it put on here and do enjoy reading them and leaving answers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure