Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sarah
    • By MSE Sarah 15th May 18, 7:38 PM
    • 156Posts
    • 77Thanks
    MSE Sarah
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I ask my boss to pay up for carpooling?
    • 15th May 18, 7:38 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I ask my boss to pay up for carpooling? 15th May 18 at 7:38 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

My boss (who doesn't drive) often asks me for a lift to work. It only adds a few miles to my journey but the cost over a year is a fair bit. He obviously earns a lot more than me and has never offered to contribute to fuel costs. Should I risk asking him?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply!

Got a money moral dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Grab the latest MSE Deals
    Follow the Deals Team on Twitter: @MSE_Deals
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
Page 3
    • kasam1986
    • By kasam1986 20th May 18, 12:11 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    kasam1986
    100% you should ask for a contribution.
    The fact its costing you overheads and you have to take your boss/colleague in your car after a full day in the office for the journey home (unless you don't mind him being there) he should be very gratefull and contribute its just wrong that he hasn't.
    I personally would like after work to travel home listening to my music being my self.. unwinding or making a call to family (hands-free of course) not worrying what my boss would think or act in a certain way in front of him for the duration of the journey...hope you solve this soon

• pinksapphire83
    • By pinksapphire83 21st May 18, 10:42 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    pinksapphire83
    Hi....im the person who sent this in. Thanks to those taking the time to write a considered response.
    To those who have more questions.....
    I actually wrote in on behalf of my boyfriend. He doesn't really use the internet much and I'm the msefan.
    He is 40 and gets minimum wage. His boss is a similar age and gets £12 per hour.
    It's 4 miles extra a day and happens around 4 times a week.
    His boss isn't the business owner so has no influence over boyfriend's wages or promotions. But can control his shifts and hours.
    He has never offered to pay anything ever.
    It's been almost a year.
    • pinksapphire83
    • By pinksapphire83 21st May 18, 10:44 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    pinksapphire83
    Exactly!! I wondered if these MMDís were mostly from people to afraid to post or to afraid to have their posting history snooped through. There is just not enough information.

They lost me at the use of the word ĎObviouslyí to be fair, how is it obvious their boss earns more then they do - hell where I am now the Team Leader isnít on much more I think there is just under 2k difference, same when I worked in a hotel when my conference mgr made it clear she did the job above for me 14k (pre 2012) because her husband ultimately kept her and she Ďgot to doí the job much for the love.

Iím sorry if this is genuine, Iím imagining two early twenty-somethings in a car, incapable of speaking to one another. Never in 20 years of work has a manager asked for a free of charge lift.
    Originally posted by keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    I have written a response to these questions
    • tastyfish
    • By tastyfish 2nd Jul 18, 11:24 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    tastyfish
    Have you not realised yet that nobody enjoys them then?
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Far more interesting than people moaning/whinging about the moral dilemma. Have you not realised that those sorts of comments are extremely tedious? If you don't like it, just don't post. Nobody's interested in an opinion of the moral dilemma theme.

OP: Ask him to give you a lift on a few occasions.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,225Posts Today

9,366Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin