Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • By 1993 15th May 18, 7:27 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Are we being unreasonable?
    • 15th May 18, 7:27 PM
    Are we being unreasonable? 15th May 18 at 7:27 PM
    Hi All, I'm new to the forum so please bear with me!

We are in the process of buying our first home and our vendors had already put an offer in on a house before we viewed and offered on theirs. We had our mortgage offer, homebuyers survey and searches all done as quickly as we possibly could to ensure as smooth a transaction as possible, keeping updated with the EA and our solicitors along the process. We were asked by the EA if we could move any earlier than our original ballpark completion date. We had to juggle some finances but we agreed we could move a couple of weeks sooner than originally planned, on a day that suited our vendor. An exchange and completion date was agreed (both within the same week), subject to everything going through ok with the solicitors.

On the day of exchange, we were informed there is an issue with our vendors' onward purchase and they won't be able to exchange with us for at least another week as a result. By this point we had already booked our annual leave (we work shifts and need to give a couple of weeks notice) and set up buildings/contents insurance on the property (condition of our solicitor prior to exchange) as we were led to believe everything was ok up until this point and given no reason to think otherwise. We spoke to the EA, our solicitors etc. who said they would try to get it sorted for the following week. After several more phone calls to all parties, we are no further and it looks like we can't complete a week later either.

After becoming quite cheesed off by this point, we have told the EA that we need to move very soon or we will have to push it back to the end of next month when we can next get time off, regardless of whether their onward purchase is sorted out in time - asking them to break the chain and complete with us and rent/move in with relatives until their purchase issue is resolved.

Are we being unreasonable? I do feel slightly guilty in having to issue an ultimatum as I'm sure all they want is a smooth transition and are probably having a nightmare themselves, but we have done everything we could to get this sale moving in the time frame they set and now it's an issue at their end that's causing problems. We just hate being in limbo not knowing when we are actually going to move!

Many thanks all
    Last edited by 1993; 15-05-2018 at 7:33 PM.
Page 3
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 16th May 18, 2:30 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 753 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    I dont understand why being new to the forum is a reason to bear with you.....
    • pelirocco
    • By pelirocco 16th May 18, 3:10 PM
    • 7,635 Posts
    • 8,518 Thanks
    pelirocco
    Unfortuantely this is happening more and more , we own a removal company and we can be as much in the dark as anyone else when it comes to moving dates . Often we are contacted just a few days before the moving dates to change them , or have people wanting to book in because they have only just exchanged and are looking to move in the next couple of days ....we have had peoples moves fall through mid move !

Its all great fun
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
    • Clutterfree
    • By Clutterfree 16th May 18, 3:54 PM
    • 3,492 Posts
    • 19,032 Thanks
    Clutterfree
    OP, where are you living now?

Would it help to remember that you aren't obliged to move on completion day? Say you complete on 1 June but can't get annual leave until 14 June, that's fine, you own the property from 1 June but don't actually pack your things and move in until two weeks later. In the meantime you have the keys, can visit, run around naked in it if you like in celebration of owning your first property, but no need to take time off to do anything else.

Downside: you'll draw down your mortgage and start paying from completion day so that'll be two weeks before you move in, but on the other hand you'll pay it off two weeks earlier in 25 years' time...

Upside: plenty of time for a thorough cleaning, repaint or whatever before you start moving furniture in.
    Originally posted by gingercordial
    Might thoughts exactly.
    As they are first time buyers, they've no buyers pushing them for a completion date so in theory "should" be more flexible than those in the rest of the chain who need to sell in order to buy.

Obviously if they are living in rented, rather than with friends or family, then they may have a date they need to move out by. That said, with no completion date set it seems unlikely that they've given notice yet to their landlord.

So as the above poster said, why don't you wait until you have a firm exchange and completion date and then book time off work? You don't have to take time off and move in on completion date.

Good luck with it all.
    Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 16th May 18, 5:49 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    bobwilson
    Originally posted by NineDeuce
    We'll bear with you while you try to understand.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 16th May 18, 6:00 PM
    • 9,381 Posts
    • 10,352 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Originally posted by NineDeuce
    It's the people who ask us to bare with them that worry me
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,105Posts Today

9,044Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin