Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • grumpygardener
    • By grumpygardener 15th May 18, 6:46 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 6Thanks
    grumpygardener
    Doesn't Yodel care?
    • 15th May 18, 6:46 PM
    Doesn't Yodel care? 15th May 18 at 6:46 PM
    In March I had my first deliveries of mini plant plugs from Jersey. Up to now, every year the plants have been OK. This year, despite prominent print that the contents were plants, Yodel stifled yawns as they delayed delivery to 5 or 6 days. Yesterday I had delivery of replacement plants which took 7 days. Don't Yodel care? Plants are living things, even though, despite Yodel's best efforts, they looked OK, they were stressed - roots turning brown, taking a lot of TLC to get them to grow and flower. Grrrrr.
Page 1
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 15th May 18, 6:51 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    bobwilson
    • 15th May 18, 6:51 PM
    • 15th May 18, 6:51 PM
    I don't even need to read your post, the answer is no, they don't care.

EDIT: Apologies, I've read your post. Surprisingly, they have slightly bigger things to worry about, such as feeding their families and getting home on time so they can sleep before they return to work the next day.

They're plants, not a biological vaccine to the latest plague.
    Last edited by bobwilson; 15-05-2018 at 6:54 PM.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 16th May 18, 3:04 AM
    • 34,142 Posts
    • 29,020 Thanks
    custardy
    • 16th May 18, 3:04 AM
    • 16th May 18, 3:04 AM
    aaaaaand yet you continue to buy from the same supplier.
    Then people wonder why companies still use cheap couriers......
    • bobwilson
    • By bobwilson 16th May 18, 6:13 PM
    • 425 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    bobwilson
    • 16th May 18, 6:13 PM
    • 16th May 18, 6:13 PM
    Originally posted by custardy
    aaaand so do you though, from what I can determine
    • custardy
    • By custardy 16th May 18, 6:30 PM
    • 34,142 Posts
    • 29,020 Thanks
    custardy
    • 16th May 18, 6:30 PM
    • 16th May 18, 6:30 PM
    aaaand so do you though, from what I can determine
    Originally posted by bobwilson
    Im not sure how you work that out.
    Try again.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 16th May 18, 8:55 PM
    • 6,546 Posts
    • 7,099 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 16th May 18, 8:55 PM
    • 16th May 18, 8:55 PM
    In March I had my first deliveries of mini plant plugs from Jersey. Up to now, every year the plants have been OK. This year, despite prominent print that the contents were plants, Yodel stifled yawns as they delayed delivery to 5 or 6 days. Yesterday I had delivery of replacement plants which took 7 days. Don't Yodel care? Plants are living things, even though, despite Yodel's best efforts, they looked OK, they were stressed - roots turning brown, taking a lot of TLC to get them to grow and flower. Grrrrr.
    Originally posted by grumpygardener

If your plant supplier cared for their plants more than their profit, they'd use a carrier that got the plants to you more quickly - vote with your feet.
    • beardiedog
    • By beardiedog 18th May 18, 12:04 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    beardiedog
    • 18th May 18, 12:04 PM
    • 18th May 18, 12:04 PM
    Yodel are by far the worst delivery company in my experience, closely followed by TNT.

No, they (the company) don't care. The drivers, in my experience though, are very courteous and are probably overworked and underpaid.

Many deliveries from Viking arrive worse for wear. I've complained, as many others probably have, but nothing changes
    Last edited by beardiedog; 18-05-2018 at 12:07 PM.
    • AylesburyDuck
    • By AylesburyDuck 18th May 18, 2:23 PM
    • 845 Posts
    • 2,057 Thanks
    AylesburyDuck
    • 18th May 18, 2:23 PM
    • 18th May 18, 2:23 PM
    Personally i dont think the drivers are paid enough and are far too overworked with unreasonable delivery quotas to care. You can only vote with your feet and avoid companys who use them to try and make a difference.
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 18th May 18, 4:51 PM
    • 33,157 Posts
    • 20,880 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 18th May 18, 4:51 PM
    • 18th May 18, 4:51 PM
    Personally i dont think the drivers are paid enough and are far too overworked with unreasonable delivery quotas to care. You can only vote with your feet and avoid companys who use them to try and make a difference.
    Originally posted by AylesburyDuck

It would take alot of people to do that and I cant see it happening.
    • beardiedog
    • By beardiedog 18th May 18, 5:00 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    beardiedog
    It would take alot of people to do that and I cant see it happening.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    Yeah, we're insignificant so they couldn't care less unfortunately
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 18th May 18, 5:44 PM
    • 3,345 Posts
    • 3,505 Thanks
    LadyDee
    I have been buying plants from Jersey Plants Direct for years - always arrived in perfect condition - delivered by Royal Mail.

Mine arrived this year in a mess - delivered by Yodel. The packaging is perfect but the box has obviously been tossed around with no regard for the contents. I have informed JPD of the damage and have informed them that next year I'll be checking which courier they are using before placing my order.
    It appears that I will not be alone.
    • beardiedog
    • By beardiedog 18th May 18, 7:28 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    beardiedog
    I placed an order with Viking on Tuesday for delivery on Wednesday - I received it today!

I contacted Viking who said they didn't know why I hadn't received it on Wednesday. Yodel said I'd instructed them to put the delivery on hold at the local depot. I didn't.

It transpires that because the order was for more than 10 boxes (paper) the van drivers won't take them - they only get paid for 10 apparently. They leave bigger quantities for the wagon drivers (unofficially). This is bad practice and should be stamped on by Yodel.

I've put in an official complaint to Viking and Yodel for all the good it will do.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 19th May 18, 4:31 AM
    • 34,142 Posts
    • 29,020 Thanks
    custardy
    I placed an order with Viking on Tuesday for delivery on Wednesday - I received it today!

I contacted Viking who said they didn't know why I hadn't received it on Wednesday. Yodel said I'd instructed them to put the delivery on hold at the local depot. I didn't.

It transpires that because the order was for more than 10 boxes (paper) the van drivers won't take them - they only get paid for 10 apparently. They leave bigger quantities for the wagon drivers (unofficially). This is bad practice and should be stamped on by Yodel.

I've put in an official complaint to Viking and Yodel for all the good it will do.
    Originally posted by beardiedog
    I think perhaps you mean Yodel should pay their drivers if there are more than packages?
    • beardiedog
    • By beardiedog 19th May 18, 10:19 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    beardiedog
    I think perhaps you mean Yodel should pay their drivers if there are more than packages?
    That's between the van drivers and Yodel. They should not be playing silly games with customers' deliveries.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 20th May 18, 7:14 AM
    • 34,142 Posts
    • 29,020 Thanks
    custardy
    That's between the van drivers and Yodel. They should not be playing silly games with customers' deliveries.
    Yes it is between Yodel and the drivers. Yet you stated it should be 'stamped out' by Yodel.
    This could easily be done by paying the drivers for the packages they deliver,given thats the model Yodel choose. I'm not sure doing work for no pay is a silly game?
    Seems you are the perfect example of why the drive to drop service levels with pricing exists.
    • beardiedog
    • By beardiedog 20th May 18, 8:39 AM
    • 633 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    beardiedog
    Look. I was told by the wagon driver that this is what they do. I'm just relaying what I was told.

Do you work for Yodel? Have you experienced their continual poor service on a weekly basis?

My delivery was delayed by two days because the van drivers would not load my delivery onto the van. They had deliberately left it for two days. Had I not complained then my delivery would still be sat there gathering dust.

Their dispute IS NOT my problem. As a delivery company they are contracted to deliver their clients' goods next day.

Yes, this practice should be stamped out. I'm not advocating work for no pay and I would gladly pay more to get my delivery on time. Yodel need to take the situation in hand - pay them more if that's what it takes or sort it out one way or the other.

And don't patronise me!!
    • custardy
    • By custardy 20th May 18, 9:26 AM
    • 34,142 Posts
    • 29,020 Thanks
    custardy
    Look. I was told by the wagon driver that this is what they do. I'm just relaying what I was told.

Do you work for Yodel? Have you experienced their continual poor service on a weekly basis?

My delivery was delayed by two days because the van drivers would not load my delivery onto the van. They had deliberately left it for two days. Had I not complained then my delivery would still be sat there gathering dust.

Their dispute IS NOT my problem. As a delivery company they are contracted to deliver their clients' goods next day.

Yes, this practice should be stamped out. I'm not advocating work for no pay and I would gladly pay more to get my delivery on time. Yodel need to take the situation in hand - pay them more if that's what it takes or sort it out one way or the other.

And don't patronise me!!
    So which is it? I work for them or have never used them?
    Or is it both?

You would gladly pay more but choose to use companies not offering that option?

You think Yodel are not aware of consignments sitting for 2 days? I would very much doubt their software doesn't generate daily stats of target vs actual on delivered items in the network.

Not sure how you feel patronised? Do you think its when someone disagrees with you?

Oh and Yodel dont offer next day delivery(I very much doubt your supplier it paying for their top product). So they are certainly not contracted to do so.
    Aim to but not guaranteed.
    Last edited by custardy; 20-05-2018 at 9:51 AM.
    • Catsacor
    • By Catsacor 25th May 18, 12:51 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    Catsacor
    I've had experiences with this courier company too and I wouldn't recommend them either !

5 times they've been the designated courier used by the (different) places I bought from, twice the packages were 'lost', twice they were left on my front door mat where anyone could have stolen them and, on the 5th occasion, it was an evening delivery, the doorbell hadn't been rung, just a card pushed through the letterbox to tell me the item was on the front door mat !
    I was in the house, saw the guy drop it down, push card through letterbox, and leave.

From the receivers point of view I agree with the OP, it's annoying when you're using companies who use an unreliable courier company.

The 2 parcels that got 'lost' were items worth several hundred pounds each, the company I bought from were very accommodating and sent me the item out that second time too but that got 'lost'.

They sent it out to me a 3rd time using a different courier company - that one arrived in a proper and timely manner.

No, I wouldn't recommend them !
    • Naf
    • By Naf 25th May 18, 1:36 PM
    • 3,041 Posts
    • 2,305 Thanks
    Naf
    I've been debating putting up a notice at my gate withdrawing the implied right of entry for Yodel (and Tories), as well as putting something in "delivery notes" instruction boxes to the effect of "please cancel my order if it is to be sent via Yodel". Companies need to know why customers don't come back, and even one or two will have an effect on small businesses.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
    • angharad
    • By angharad 25th May 18, 8:40 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    angharad
    Hi I've had the unfortunate experience to be at the mercy of several differnt courier firms over the past few months. All have been degrees of rubbish.

The worst one was a non-delivery, no card left. I sat here from 7 a.m. waiting for the knock that never came. The company said that the driver had tried to deliver. Strange, I said, hold on, I'll look at my CCTV. What do you know, no van, no driver, no delivery attempted but loads of lies. I challenged them. They didn't reply.

The latest fiasco was yesterday, where a 20 litre vat of oil was left at my local One Stop Shop for me to collect. (Stroke and all).

I am moving away from buying online, other than groceries.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,844Posts Today

7,685Users online

Martin's Twitter