Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Maisydaisy
    • By Maisydaisy 15th May 18, 6:30 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Maisydaisy
    SDLT first time buyer
    • 15th May 18, 6:30 PM
    SDLT first time buyer 15th May 18 at 6:30 PM
    My partner and I recently bought a house but are unsure if we can claim back the SDLT relief. My partner inherited property last year but this was with 4 other people so essentially he herited 1/5. In the guidance it says you needed a major interest - would he still be classed as ftb as he only had 1/5? His name was on the deeds along with 3 others.
Page 1
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 15th May 18, 7:44 PM
    • 6,634 Posts
    • 6,209 Thanks
    00ec25
    • 15th May 18, 7:44 PM
    • 15th May 18, 7:44 PM
    My partner and I recently bought a house but are unsure if we can claim back the SDLT relief. My partner inherited property last year but this was with 4 other people so essentially he herited 1/5. In the guidance it says you needed a major interest - would he still be classed as ftb as he only had 1/5? His name was on the deeds along with 3 others.
    Originally posted by Maisydaisy
    have you read the rules?
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/stamp-duty-land-tax-buying-an-additional-residential-property

to reclaim SDLT paid at the higher rate you must have sold (or "disposed of") a property which was your previous main/only home?

are you married to him?
    did he live there whilst an owner?
    did you live with him whilst he was there as an owner?
    Last edited by 00ec25; 15-05-2018 at 7:46 PM.
    • Maisydaisy
    • By Maisydaisy 16th May 18, 12:58 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Maisydaisy
    • 16th May 18, 12:58 AM
    • 16th May 18, 12:58 AM
    It was never lived in. It was inherited and then sold before we bought our house, which was a day after the new ftb rules were intruduced regarding sdlt.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 16th May 18, 1:50 AM
    • 2,379 Posts
    • 1,606 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 16th May 18, 1:50 AM
    • 16th May 18, 1:50 AM
    If your partner was the legal or beneficial owner of this previous property then you were not FTBs so no Stamp Duty to reclaim.
    Are you sure that the legal/beneficial interest was transferred to your partner? Normally a property left to several beneficiaries is sold by the estate and just the disposal proceeds distributed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,492Posts Today

8,409Users online

Martin's Twitter