Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dbrookf
    • By dbrookf 15th May 18, 6:09 PM
    • 397Posts
    • 455Thanks
    dbrookf
    Tomato plant
    • 15th May 18, 6:09 PM
    Tomato plant 15th May 18 at 6:09 PM
    Have bought a tomato plant for the first time and Iím not sure what to do with it! Itís one that grows tall rather than bushy, I donít have a greenhouse and itís currently about 10 inches tall...help!
Page 1
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 15th May 18, 7:24 PM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 4,676 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 15th May 18, 7:24 PM
    • 15th May 18, 7:24 PM
    You'd have been better off with a bush tomato specially bred for outdoors, but to give this one a go....

Don't plant it outside yet - we may still have a cold snap before the end of May. Keep it on a sunny windowsill, and pot it on into a slightly bigger pot if the roots are starting to grow out of the bottom of the pot.

Once all danger of frost has passed (could be 2nd week of June if you are way 'oop north') pot it into a 12" pot and put it outside in a sunny but sheltered spot. You'll need a tall bamboo cane to tie it to.

Nip off the sideshoots so you just have one main stem. Once you have a maximum of 6 tomato trusses nip off the top of the main stem.

Feed with tomato food once the flowers appear.

DO NOT dead-head the flowers - they will be your tomatoes.

Enjoy !
    • Lovingwales
    • By Lovingwales 15th May 18, 7:32 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Lovingwales
    • 15th May 18, 7:32 PM
    • 15th May 18, 7:32 PM
    It cant really go outdoors yet. You will need a large pot for it to go into a 1.5 - 2 metre long bamboo cane (or equivalent), When side shoots appear (they sprout from between the leaf and the stem) pinch them out. Tie the stem to the cane as it grows and water every day and feed once a week. It can go outside at the beginning of June (but depends where in the country you are). Is there any chance of you getting one of those mini greenhouses (about £15 last time I bought one) or if not acclimatise it to outdoor conditions by putting it outside for increasingly longer times a day for about a week. Above all enjoy the tomatoes I'm sure they will really taste lovely - unlike the supermarket versions.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 15th May 18, 7:52 PM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 15th May 18, 7:52 PM
    • 15th May 18, 7:52 PM
    Is there any chance of you getting one of those mini greenhouses (about £15 last time I bought one).
    Originally posted by Lovingwales
    £10 from Wilkinsons.

• dbrookf
    • By dbrookf 23rd May 18, 9:13 AM
    • 397 Posts
    • 455 Thanks
    dbrookf
    • 23rd May 18, 9:13 AM
    • 23rd May 18, 9:13 AM
    Not sure what to trim off in the way of ďside shootsĒ on my tomato plant! Help please!

http://tinypic.com/r/1dya9f/9
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 23rd May 18, 9:25 AM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 4,676 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 23rd May 18, 9:25 AM
    • 23rd May 18, 9:25 AM
    Not sure what to trim off in the way of !!!8220;side shoots!!!8221; on my tomato plant! Help please!

http://tinypic.com/r/1dya9f/9
    Originally posted by dbrookf
    The side shoots appear in the v shapes between the stalk and the leaves.

Yours are tiny at the moment - wait until they are big enough to get hold of, then gently snap them off (be careful not to damage the outer layer of the stem).

In theory, you can pot the side shoots on and grow more 'free' tomato plants. I've never done that, as I don't need that many tomatoes!
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 23rd May 18, 9:37 AM
    • 29,788 Posts
    • 76,328 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 23rd May 18, 9:37 AM
    • 23rd May 18, 9:37 AM
    Keep it on a sunny windowsill, and pot it on into a slightly bigger pot if the roots are starting to grow out of the bottom of the pot.
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    Assuming the plant is in a 3" pot, leave it in there until the first truss sets - you will be able to see a tiny green tomato in the centre of the old flower.
    • dbrookf
    • By dbrookf 23rd May 18, 10:58 AM
    • 397 Posts
    • 455 Thanks
    dbrookf
    • 23rd May 18, 10:58 AM
    • 23rd May 18, 10:58 AM
    Assuming the plant is in a 3" pot, leave it in there until the first truss sets - you will be able to see a tiny green tomato in the centre of the old flower.
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    Whatís a truss?!
    • Waterlily24
    • By Waterlily24 23rd May 18, 11:19 AM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 568 Thanks
    Waterlily24
    • 23rd May 18, 11:19 AM
    • 23rd May 18, 11:19 AM
    It's the flowers that turn into tomatoes. We only let four trusses set in each plant, then pinch the top of the plant off. If that makes sense.
  • archived user
    This is a truss.
  • archived user
    Ive not marked this very well but ive taken a picture of your plant and you can see where ive marked. Any shoots that come off at an angle like ive marked you should pinch out.

I think ive got it right.
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 26th May 18, 9:50 PM
    • 902 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    Can I add to all the above good information.....

The bigger the pot the better!! Tomatoes when growing well and getting bigger can be hungry feeders and drinkers! It used to be common to grow in bottomless whalehide pots filled with compost set into gravel beds. The plants feed from the pot and drink from the gravel (such as pea sized or smaller) that holds a reservoir of water. Replaced domestically now often with Brisbane but they can still require frequent watering when the plants are mature. Any system you can set up where the roots can go off to a water source (gravel tray?) will help to stop swings between too dry and too wet and you can splash in high potash tomato feed into the pot (diluted to instructions of course!).

When your time ripen do not pick too soon. Let them ripen fully on the vine (unlike supermarket ones) just as they begin to turn softer.......and enjoy.

Sheltered sunny spot is best.
    • malebolge
    • By malebolge 27th May 18, 10:14 AM
    • 472 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    malebolge
    I grow all of my tomatoes in pots rather than growbags. A few years ago I got a job lot of black bucket type ones from a supermarket - the sort they put bunches of flowers for sale into. I drilled holes in the bottom & they're perfect.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

205Posts Today

1,428Users online

Martin's Twitter